Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2020!! hobby goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
It's that time of year everyone, to contemplate the year ahead and decide what if anything we'd all like to accomplish. While this thread is meant to be hobby related I won't hold you to it.
Be super detailed or as vague as possible, all up to you

As for my goals:

1) I have 74 cards on my Sweet Spot and Sweet Sig want list. I'd realistically like to
get that into the 50's.

2) Continue my 2004 legendary cuts cut signature endeavor. I currently have 29. I will never get close to completion but get as many as circumstances allow.

3)complete my 2019 Stadium club orange refractor set. currently 9 away and most are available with a few overpriced

4) Add a few more RC refractors. Have most of what I want for the time being but still looking to pick up acuna, judge heritage and a few others.

5) continue my trout refractor pc. Topps and bowman chrome with stadium club are my main focus along with past years.

6) add Haniger and griffey autos and patches if anything visually appealing to me comes up at a price I like.

After writing that all out that seems like a lot... we'll see how far I get

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
1. Darin Erstad
a. Add 25 cards from my wantlist. I'm at about 90% completion overall
b. Finish re-creating my master checklist
c. Add more Game Used pieces (bats, hats, jerseys, helmets, batting gloves)

2. Bucky Jacobsen
a. Find a copy of his Lewis Clark State College card.
b. Find ANY of the remaining 4 cards I need that aren't 1/1
c. Add any 1/1

3. Will Clark
a. Add more Game Used pieces (bats, hats, jerseys, helmets, batting gloves)
b. Add more copies of a few specific cards I hoard
c. Trade/sell doubles

4. Eddie Murray
a. Add more Game Used pieces (bats, hats, jerseys, helmets, batting gloves)
b. Add more copies of a few specific cards I hoard
c. Trade/sell doubles

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i have 800,000 commons and thinning out many older players -- if you need a regular lmk ---- don't expect quick reply = 200 + 3200 counts by team stacked 20 high with not much room to dig out lower boxes . Over 25,000 went to Rec's or schools in bags of 25 this year . VERY few inserts left after trading for 30 years . MY goal is another 25,000 out --- i do buy newer regular due that i sell at local minor league stadium - 19 years about 25 times a season and sell on Ebay . Want / need team bulk ? Lets talk i do trade -- baseball / football some basketball / few older hockey for trade / sell

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Like the idea of breaking it down by player so I stole it. Thanks plastic.

Jeff Frye
1. Add 1 of the 4 cards left of his mainstream issues that I need
2. Add 1 of the 3 Team Issues I need
3. Add 1 printing plate I need
4. Add more Game Used pieces (bats, hats, jerseys, helmets, batting gloves)

Ryan Helsley
1. Continue to stay ahead of the new releases. I think I did very well at this so far this year. I only have a couple non 1/1 issues left to pick up.
2. Complete the 2015 Bowman/Bowman Chrome Rainbow.
3. Add 2 1/1s.
4. Add some Game Used pieces (bats, hats, jerseys, helmets, batting gloves)

Ginter:
1. Complete 3 base sets from previous years.
2. Complete 3 insert sets from previous years.
3. Complete 3 mini sets from previous years.
4. Acquire 4 1/1s

1990s Insert sets
1. Complete 3 sets from each of the major brands.

chippernate

1. Get to roughly 10% (200) different Braves autographs, at 96 right now
2. Finish 2002 Tribute Milestone Materials set 26/50
3. Finish 2018/19 SP Game Used Capitals Net cord sets 13/20
4. Get to at least halfway T206 and 1933 Goudey Braves team sets

Oh and finally get a Chipper ‘98 crusades

Last edited:

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
1. Pick up an Ohtani auto. Prices are coming down. Waiting for them to hit under $100.
2. Pick up autos of new Japanese players that debut in 2020.
3. Have a few rainbows I've been working on for a while (2017 Gallery Darvish / 2018 Heritage Hirano / 2013 Update Tazawa).
4. Pick up any Masumi Kuwata Topps cards I'm missing. I'm down to just the low numbered parallels.
5. Locate one of my white whales (2006 Ginter Johjima auto / 2013 Ginter Darvish auto / 1998 Crusade Red Irabu).

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
These range from somewhat achievable to highly unlikely (not in any particular order)

1) Jackie Robinson signed baseball from his time in the ***** Leagues. There was a team ball from the team that went to Venezuela in 1945 that sold at Christie's a few year back. Would love to find where that one or similar.

2) Looking to find at least one contract from someone associated with Integration. Something like a Don Newcombe minor league contract.

3) I collect integration pieces in general, and love finding contracts, but there is one other specific item I would love to pick up, and that's a ticket from Jackie Robinson's 1st Minor League game. They are rare and super expensive, though not as expensive as his Debut with the Dodgers so it may be possible.

4) Continuing to build the collection of lineup cards from significant games and vintage lineup cards. Was able to pick up a few major collections this year along with some incredibly cool individual pieces. If 2020 is half as successful as 2019 in this department it will be a great year.

5) Looking for at least one lineup card from a HOF manager that I don't already have. This past year I was able to find Eddie Mathews. Still don't have Yogi Berra, along with some others that have been much harder to find than I might have expected

6) Would love to pick up some more barnstorming programs and other barnstorming related items. Barnstorming games were maybe the first place that fans could see African American players playing against MLB players. So many big names toured including Ruth and Gehrig in their time, Jackie Robinson, Musial and so many others. Incredible and fascinating history tied to the tours.

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
1. Add 3 more 2004 Exhibit Puckett cards.
2. Add 3 1/1 Puckett cards.
3. Finish at least 4 Twins Topps team sets from the 60's. I am very close on some of these. I started a project to make Topps team sets of the Twins since they came to Minnesota. I have a bunch of years done but I need to organize my newer stuff and make a want list.
4. Downsize my overall collection. I have a lot of random stuff that either needs to be sold, traded or tossed out.
5. Clean and Organize my card room/office. I have a lot of stuff that needs to be put on display yet. I started refinishing an old dresser for storage. Once I finish and add some shelving this should get better.
6. Find some very specific cards from my want list. Most of these I never see but one can always hope. List is below.
2001 DONRUSS STUDIO WARNING TRACK OFF THE WALL (#d/25)
2002 DONRUSS CLASSIC STUDIO LEATHER & LUMBER ARTISTS PROOF
2002 FLEER FALL CLASSIC GOLD W/RUTH AND JACKSON(#d/50)
2002 TOPPS GOLD LABEL MLB AWARDS CEREMONY RELICS TITANIUM ( ALL STAR MVP) ACR-KP2
2002 UPPERDECK SWEET SPOT CLASSIC GAME USED BAT GOLD (#d/25)
2002 UPPERDECK SWEET SPOT CLASSIC SIGNATURES (PR/74)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Mainly hoping to finish my interminable project sets (1941 Play Ball, 2017 Topps silver pack rainbows, need 6 cards) and adding to the ones that realistically will never finish but enjoy nonetheless(2011 Marquee Museum autos). I was pretty good this year, only taking on one new project, 2018 Spectra basketball Headliners. They make me think of something from the 70s, though in that case they’d have a small cartoon body to go with the big heads.

I’m mostly looking forward to diving into a highly anticipated Heritage set. I’ve taken to building semi-master sets witn all the Action and Nickname cards. Might stretch to Throwbacks this year. But 2021 Heritage will be the real obsession. Can’t wait for that one.

But I really want to pick up a PSA 4 51 Bowman Mantle. I didn’t find one of the right quality at the right price this year, though one ended on eBay recently that I would have been a bidder on if not for lousy financial timing. IMHO it’ll never be cheaper so if I want it I better grab it as soon as possible.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Tim Wakefield PC
A- Add 5 cards from his playing years
B- Find the 2019 Chronicles boys of summer Holo silver /3, the only 2019 release I missed other than 1/1s
C- reorganize collection into a larger box and complete my personal Excel checklist.

Craig Biggio PC
A- Add the 1999 Topps Tek pattern 30B to finish the base
B- add two 99 Tek gold's
C- Add one 98 Tek diffractor

Red Sox PC
A- once the 2020 red Sox HOF class is announced add the players I need
B- New project, one card for all players to play for the Sox. My initial "research" says somewhere around 1,800-2,000 players total, figuring some older players or more recent players who only appeared for a short time won't have cards I might be looking at 1600-1700. If I stick to base commons I can be fairly economical with this, shooting for 300 and to spend under $100, sports lots 0.18 a card here I come.

Last edited:

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Tim Wakefield PC
A- Add 5 cards from his playing years
B- Find the 2019 flawless memorable marks gold /10 and the Chronicles boys of summer Holo silver /3, the only 2019 releases I missed other than 1/1s
C- reorganize collection into a larger box and complete my personal Excel checklist.

Craig Biggio PC
A- Add the 1999 Topps Tek pattern 30B to finish the base
B- add two 99 Tek gold's
C- Add one 98 Tek diffractor

Red Sox PC
A- once the 2020 red Sox HOF class is announced add the players I need
B- New project, one card for all players to play for the Sox. My initial "research" says somewhere around 1,800-2,000 players total, figuring some older players or more recent players who only appeared for a short time won't have cards I might be looking at 1600-1700. If I stick to base commons I can be fairly economical with this, shooting for 300 and to spend under $100, sports lots 0.18 a card here I come.

i was told there are over 200,000 Red Sox cards -- two collectors in Conn . over 20,000 different --- i trade for their extras = 30,000 Red Sox here

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I’d love to find some of the 8 - 2004 Leaf Exhibits cards of Kirby Puckett that I need to complete the run:

Series 1 - (2)
1926 Unblocked Legend (1926U)
1939-46 Best Wishes Right (1939-46BWR)

Series 2 - (6) (8 total)
1921 American League (1921AML)
1939-46 Truly Yours Left (1939-46TYL)
1947-66 Made In USA Sig (1947-66MSIG)
1947-66 Printed By Donruss Playoff Print (1947-66PDPSCR)
1947-66 Printed In USA Sig (1947-66PDPSIG)
1962-63 No Stat Name Left (1962-63NSNL)

Please let me know if you have any of these available and let me know your make me sell price.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Although not glamorous to most, these are the most interesting types of collection to me. Even more challenging would be to find them actually pictured or noted on the Sox. Many will not be even possible I suspect, but oddball sets could help you out a great deal.

I am lucky in that the Dodgers had the 1990 Target set with over 1000 players featured, many who probably didn't have another card. Grainy blow-ups from an old photo and crude B&W drawings for some players are not the most exciting cards, but I guess they are still cards. Also helps that they did a good number of police and food sets into the early-mid 2000s.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
2019 was a fruitful year, hope next year is the same.

1. Attend the 2020 National in Atlantic City
2. Add 25 vintage Yankee needs
3. Add 20 Paul O'Neill needs
4. Add 10 Yankee Topps SPs needs
5. Add 5 Yankee Topps SSP needs
6. Add 2 Yankee autographs
7. Add 1 Mariano Rivera autograph
8. Sell to fund these purchases

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
For me it's the usual - continue adding to the black hole, aka my Robbie Alomar PC. Specifically...

- Pick up one more 90's insert white whale. 2019 was the year I got my 96 Mirror Gold. Hopefully 2020 will bring one more from the same stratosphere.

- Fill in some random 90's-00's numbered inserts. I keep filling gaps here and there, but there's still a surprising number of /50 to /100 inserts that just haven't appeared yet. Got to show up some time.

- Keep beating the bushes and finding previously unknown releases from his playing career. This year I stumbled on one from 1992 and another from 1989 that I had never seen nor heard of, and I was able to acquire both. That's a great example of the stuff that keeps me engaged in this silly-ass pastime :)

- Buy less than 10% of his new 2020 issues. For 2019 I'm just under 20%, and that's too high. As much as I complain about the neverending glut of new releases, I bought more than I should have. I admit that some were really cool, but even though I passed on 80% of them, it was still too much. In 2018 I only got about 8% of the new releases, and that felt about right. Hard goal for 2020 = less than 10% of new releases.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Adding another one

Find a 1995 Select Mirror Gold Derek Jeter for a decent price to finish up my master set. I started on this run a year too late.

Members online

No members online now.