Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Pickup - 1919 Curse of the Bambino Baseball Card!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I picked this up a couple months ago, but have been waiting until the 100th year anniversary to the day! I'm still jumping out of my skin excited about it :)

1919 W514 Babe Ruth! I made a graphic detailing what is so special about it as shown below:

1919-w514-babe-ruth.jpg

This card has flown way under the radar given its historical significance and who it is of. It is nowhere near the most popular Babe Ruth card (though I think it should be up there) - heck - it isn't even the most popular card in the set! That honor goes to the 1919 W514 Shoeless Joe Jackson card, as it is the same year as the Black Sox Scandal, and depicts him as a member of the White Sox. (Fun fact: Babe Ruth modeled his swing after Shoeless Joe!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a great pickup I'm excited about, while shedding some light on what it is - the Curse of the Bambino embodied in a baseball card!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I would guess strip cards will never quite stack up to most any other legit baseball issues due to their "cheap" nature. I have a few strip cards, but never cared a great deal for them. They are not Ruth though, so there is still power from being one of the ATGs.

This card has flown way under the radar given its historical significance and who it is of. It is nowhere near the most popular Babe Ruth card (though I think it should be up there) - heck - it isn't even the most popular card in the set!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Yeah, I would guess strip cards will never quite stack up to most any other legit baseball issues due to their "cheap" nature. I have a few strip cards, but never cared a great deal for them. They are not Ruth though, so there is still power from being one of the ATGs.

Nice ! Strip cards are ugly at least to me. But a cool way to gave a HOF collection.

I was never a fan of strip cards myself, but I do think the W514 strips did it the best. I love how the Ruth and Shoeless look, but not many others. The art / production / etc. tell the story of when they were created - right after World War I, which I think is cool in and of itself. Neat set!

Members online

Latest posts