Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just one in today, another Marichal. This might be the last one. Someone really needs to do a moderately numbered Marichal in a Dodgers uniform. So what if he only appeared in 2 games before retiring!

Panini Emerald /3: JM Emerald.jpg

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
lawd, that juan marichal is just flat out ugly.

and unlicensed product, too?

double ewe.

thank god they only made 3.

heck, i'm surprised they could even sell 1 of them! oh, wait...

Last edited:

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
but in all seriousness, that is a cool card. i actually don't mind pajama cards when done right. that pose and leg hike is next level!

and had no clue marichal was even on the dodgers.

(being truly sincere)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Since I recently posted the Oliver I bought from COMC auctions that was moved to my port, and left work on Friday before the mail delivered, I will just clear out the others that I have obtained since the 2019 Black Friday mailing. Moving forward, I will post new COMC cards as I add them, rather than waiting for the shipment to arrive.

Austin BarnesAustin-Barnes.jpg
Chris TaylorChris-Taylor.jpg
Eric GagneEric-Gagne.jpg
Jayson WerthJayson-Werth.jpg
Jose DeLeonJose-De-Leon.jpg
Kyle FarmerKyle-Farmer.jpg
Mark Loretta. Pretty stoked about this one. Had no idea it existed. Paid a little more than I wanted, but was afraid I might not see another. He ended his career in 2009 with a single season in LA.Mark-Loretta.jpg
Max MuncyMax-Muncy.jpg
Rubby De La RosaRubby-De-La-Rosa.jpg
Tony GonsolinTony-Gonsolin.jpg

Free Agent signing, he has not yet appeared as a Dodger. Blake TreinenBlake-Treinen.jpg

I have tried to be proactive over the last couple of years, watching the off season transactions, but too many signings never end up making the team. These are mostly minor leaguers, but sometimes big leaguers drop off the roster too. Going to wait on Jimmy Nelson until he actually appears in a game for the team. I can grab a cheap auto now, but have seen other free agents not make it by spring training. I hope he rebounds.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Love that Loretta! I can relate to that. Both CC Sabathia and Zack Greinke have an extremely limited number of certified Brewers autos.
That Farmer is actually pretty bad ass too. Those Retro sigs are hard to find and are usually listed and priced accordingly. Would love to add one of those to my collection as well. I too will be pulling for Jimmy Nelson to make a comeback. Won’t be easy, guy suffered such a heartbreaking injury right on the cusp of breaking out as a bona fide ace

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Love that Loretta! I can relate to that. Both CC Sabathia and Zack Greinke have an extremely limited number of certified Brewers autos.
That Farmer is actually pretty bad ass too. Those Retro sigs are hard to find and are usually listed and priced accordingly. Would love to add one of those to my collection as well. I too will be pulling for Jimmy Nelson to make a comeback. Won’t be easy, guy suffered such a heartbreaking injury right on the cusp of breaking out as a bona fide ace

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I have a few Greinke, I think they were all KC, but I am not sure he even has a Dodger auto.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another 2 day mail day (Friday & Monday). Mondays always seem to be the biggest days, no matter when I won and pay for auctions.

I guess this one gets the prize for best card. It's numbered to 5 and has an OK cut and a large jersey swatch, but is unlicensed. Makes them more affordable usually, but less appealing to the eye. A nice (and only) way to get a "certified" Furillo card, who died in 1989.Furillo.jpg

Cool Bill North I had not come upon before. I snapped it up when I saw it with a BIN: North.jpg

Hooton rounds out the trio of certified cards. The rest are not:Hooton Card.jpg

A few photos, Tommy Lasorda, Ken Lehman and George "Shotgun" Shuba:LaSorda.jpgLehman.jpgShuba.jpg

A few Dodgers cards:

Sal Maglie. This actually comes from a TCMA strip that was made for some card show: Maglie.jpg
Steve Sax: Sax.jpg
Duke Sims: sIMS.jpg
Reggie Williams: Williams 86F.jpg
Steve Yeager RC:Yeager.jpg

a 3x5 of Paul Ray Powell: Powell 3x5.jpg

And finally, the non-Dodger cards of former/future Dodgers:

Chico Fernandez: CF.jpg
Jorge Orta: JO.jpg
Mario Soto:MS.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's been a small dry spell for Garvey, but a few came in today. This is one of only two certified cards in the batch.

Garvey Immaculate.jpg

The other is Al Oliver:AO.jpg

I don't know if these were issued by the company signed like this, but have seen a few. Nabisco Sheet signed by all. I also can claim Gary Carter for the Dodger collection from this one:Garvey Nabisco.jpg

After talking about Marichal a lot, I finally pulled the trigger. Was hoping for an actual game image, but was afraid of missing out on a Dodger themed auto photo. Turns out I was not in danger, as the seller relisted another of the same photo: Marichal.jpg

Then a decent bundle of small photos and cards:

Logan Forsythe: Forsythe.jpg
Mark Loretta: Loretta.jpg

Joe Altobelli: Joe A.jpg
Eddie Basinski:Basinski.jpg
Claude Crocker: Crocker.jpg
Jim Gott: Gott.jpg
Clyde King: King.jpg
Joe Landrum: Landrum.jpg
Joe Tepsic: Tepsic.jpg
A pair of John Van Cuyk: J Van Cuyk.jpgJ Van Cuyk 2.jpg

The rest feature former/future Dodgers in other uniforms:

Kevin Brown: KB.jpg
Jacob Brumfield: JB.jpg
A couple Garvey PCs: Garvey Padres 1.jpgGarvey Padres 2.jpg
Sam Leslie: SL.jpg
Pat Mahomes: PM.jpg
Bob Schaefer: BS.jpg
Dick Williams: DW.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Like the Zeile I got a little bit ago, I will lead this batch off with another Archives buyback, this time a 1/1 Tim Wallach. I can't stress enough how great this type of set is for the team collector when they feature these short timers or obscure players on your time. No other way to get certified autos usually.

Tim Wallach: Wallach.jpg

A few non-certified Dodgers:

Tim Belcher: Belcher.jpg
Tom Goodwin:Goodwin.jpg
Paul Ray Powell: Powell.jpg
Pete Richert:Richert.jpg

A pair of Ralph Branca postcard sized photos: Branca.jpg

A trio of 3x5s, including a somewhat difficult one:

John Corriden Jr: Corriden Jr.jpg
Charles Osgood: Osgood.jpg
George Pfister: PFister.jpg

An interesting note, Corriden's father, John "Red", was a member of the Brooklyn coaching staff in the 40s, then he scouted for them in the 50s. It can be a treat to tell the two apart for signatures if they are not marked.

Finally, a couple former/future Dodgers:

Bob Borkowski: BB.jpg
Al Oliver: AO.jpg

Have always loved that Oliver card.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
No weekend mail, so I picked up a few COMC items.

This one is pretty exciting for me. Seems Brown doesn't have much in the way of certified autographs and maybe no other Dodgers card. This is technically a Yankees card, but clearly he is shown as a Dodger, which is good enough for me. I paid a bit more than I would have liked again, but figure I may not have another chance again for a while, if ever. Drop in the bucket compared to all the Garvey duplicate autos I have bought, so why not diversify? Never knew this one even existed until recently: Kevin-Brown.jpg

Chris Taylor. Like the retro look and the gold border adds a nice touch: Chris-Taylor.jpg

I previously said I was going to wait, but got cold feet on that. I was afraid he would build some hype somehow and the prices would go up. This showing is premature, as he has not played a game yet for the Dodgers. It's possible that he never will still. I have plenty of "Dodgers" autographs where the player never actually played for the team. It was cheap, so no worries here. Jimmy Nelson: Jimmy-Nelson.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The faded, but still cool triple autograph from 2001 UD Legends of NY with Don Newcombe, Johnny Podres and Carl Erskine. Damn shame someone let this card fade like this though. Probably sat in a shop display case too long! 3 DOD Faded .jpg

Another low print run Wallach from Archives Signature Series, this one is /15: Wallach 15.jpg

A cheap lot of 5 certified commons with Jerry Brooks, Leon Landry, Willie Otanez, Red Patterson & David Yocum, 5 DOD Lot.jpg

A pair of certified former/future Dodgers with Ausmus Silver Fan Favorites /99 & Paul Shuey Sig Rookies: BA.jpg PS.jpg

A small strip cut from some sort of brochure or magazine. I probably have it, but I can't place it now (Steve Garvey):Garvey Dodgers.jpg

Ron Cey in a lesser seen Team Issued 8x10. In fact, I have only seen this version twice, autographed both times. If anyone has an unsigned copy, I am interested: Cey.jpg

Rich Auerbach on a PC sized photo: Auerbach.jpg

A couple Dodgers cards.

Roger Craig:Craig.jpg
Kenny Howell:Howell.jpg
Raul Mondesi:Mondesi.jpg

Former/future Dodgers on cards/photos:

Jim Gentile:JG.jpg
Tommy Hutton:TH.jpg
Jeff Kent:JK.jpg
Mike Vail:MV.jpg
Mitch Webster:MW.jpg

Johnny Cooney:JC.jpg