Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So I bought this on eBay...

IMG_9567.JPG

When it came it was just in a penny sleeve and top loader, no uncirculated Case. So I message the seller and asked about it...

His response...
IMG_9568.JPG

How would you respond to the question about how do we proceed?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
That's entirely your call. Would depend on how much I paid and if that card was still okay in my collection, as is. If not, I would ask for a refund and go from there.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I’m assuming (maybe entirely wrong) that Grote isn’t crazy hard to find? If not I’d absolutely want a return. I needs that original, unscratched uncirculated case on any cards that were released that way. My personal preference

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Id prefer to receive it as it came but honestly the whole "uncirculated" thing for me is not a big deal, if it was in good condition is be kinda kissy it wasn't disclosed ahead of time but it wouldn't stop me from enjoying a particular card in my collection.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'd get a refund. Looks to be some indentation center of the card
The "indentation" is the chrome etching. The picture is the original eBay pic of the card in the case, not how he received it.
MrMet says in the original post that the card came in a penny sleeve and toploader.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If it were a Garvey card I needed, refund no questions. Only because that is how it was issued and my collecting guidelines require that it be "unaltered". If it was a dupe, then I would be OK with it as long as the card was not harned/damaged. In fact, I have this very card (Garvey) that was freed from the original case along with the sealed copy.

If it were the same Grote you got, for my collection (and I own this card too, sealed), I would be OK with it. It's not a tough card to find or very expensive. I don't particularly care about uncirculated, but it is irritating when people remove them from cases indented to be sealed by the factory or let the cases get scratched up, so you have to remove them to fully enjoy the autograph.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
So it will cost you 5 bucks to send it back. If it cost 100 bucks then I would send it back. If it was 10 bucks well I would ask for a half refund. if the seller balks then tell him that Time is MONEY and it is not worth your time to take it to the post office and your gas and cost to send it back. That he can enjoy the neg feedback. That it is not worth your time and money for you to send it back.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
It wouldn't cost you a thing to return it. If the item doesn't "match the listing description" which it clearly doesn't, then you are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. You simply start the return process and once the seller agrees you will be provided a label to print out, charged to the seller, to be able to mail the card back. The most you would be out is a bubble mailer but I would try to use the one he sent it in if it's still salvageable. After that it's a simple walk out to your mailbox.

I see with the shipping you paid nearly $30 for this card. I would definitely send it back because I think you could find one cheaper. There's one up now with a bin of $35 but the starting bid is $11 with no bids. You might be able to snag that one for much less than what you paid for this one. On the other hand if you're willing to accept the card I would still ask for a considerable refund because it's not uncirculated and not as described. I think it's important to note that these cards lose some of their value once they're taken out of the uncirculated cases as well because many see that as a certain type of collectible in and of itself.
Sorry but the dog ate my homework excuse should have been discussed before you received the card. Jmt's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
It wouldn't cost you a thing to return it. If the item doesn't "match the listing description" which it clearly doesn't, then you are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. You simply start the return process and once the seller agrees you will be provided a label to print out, charged to the seller, to be able to mail the card back. The most you would be out is a bubble mailer but I would try to use the one he sent it in if it's still salvageable. After that it's a simple walk out to your mailbox.

I see with the shipping you paid nearly $30 for this card. I would definitely send it back because I think you could find one cheaper. There's one up now with a bin of $35 but the starting bid is $11 with no bids. You might be able to snag that one for much less than what you paid for this one. On the other hand if you're willing to accept the card I would still ask for a considerable refund because it's not uncirculated and not as described. I think it's important to note that these cards lose some of their value once they're taken out of the uncirculated cases as well because many see that as a certain type of collectible in and of itself.
Sorry but the dog ate my homework excuse should have been discussed before you received the card. Jmt's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I agree 100%. Make sellers accountable for poor listing activities! The term "you get what you pay for" works both ways...you SHOULD get what you paid for or else, no sale and refund.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Well, he ended up offering a discount we were both happy with, the price mentioned in here was more than I originally paid, so I wouldn’t get one at a better price, and it technically fits better in my binder this way anyway...so now it’s discounted and once-circulated, and staying in my collection until I die and my family decides to sell, lol

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Well, he ended up offering a discount we were both happy with, the price mentioned in here was more than I originally paid, so I wouldn’t get one at a better price, and it technically fits better in my binder this way anyway...so now it’s discounted and once-circulated, and staying in my collection until I die and my family decides to sell, lol

The resale of the card was hurt a little, but for Jerry Grote, it's not much. Upon reading the OP, I was going to say that since you collect Mets autos and the uncirculated cases are kinda bulky and annoying (to me at least; I have a couple from this set), a partial refund might be the best outcome. Seems like it was.

On a side note, I haven't busted any wax in a while and am starting to get an itch to do so. I only say that here in your thread because it seems like I always pull Mets!

Members online