Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 finest proofs? promos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Interesting. I saw the Alomar for sale at some ridiculous price like $300 so was not interested. But if it had been say $20, I might have picked it up. But if these things can really be made at home, well that makes a first in card collecting for me. I've never before been happy that a seller was asking a delusional price for a card!

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Interesting. I saw the Alomar for sale at some ridiculous price like $300 so was not interested. But if it had been say $20, I might have picked it up. But if these things can really be made at home, well that makes a first in card collecting for me. I've never before been happy that a seller was asking a delusional price for a card!

There have been some good looking fakes of Bowman refrators floating around last year, most notably the Schlongarlo red ref. (I think the year was 09 or 10) MTG fakes have been improving as well.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
There a lot of fakes......done in the above link! But there are promos given away of three players of the 1993 finest.....one being of Nolan Ryan. Best regards, David

Last edited:

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I’m not sure it’s fair to call the seller a scammer. Others have said he’s reputable and honest and even mentioned they unlisted the remaining cards.

It’s possible the seller was scammed themselves and bought these cards thinking they were in fact proofs. It’s also possible they reached out to the purchaser of the Sandberg card to discuss. We don’t know the logistics...

My two cents anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
The seller also has 100% feedback on over 7k transactions which doesn’t immediately ring scammer to me. What if these were the real deal unfinished stock/proofs and the others soaked in water completely ruined the uniqueness of them.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another site I frequent actually requires posters to provide their full name if they are discussing a person in a public forum post. Probably not a bad idea, so you know who is calling who out. That way, if there are any issued with the accused or the accuser, people know who is who and that it is not someone hiding behind an anonymous screen name, slinging crap to stir the pot. Not saying that is what is happening here, but I have seen some whoppers online...

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
For what it’s worth there are actual proofs out there that were not made by soaking the cards in water. For a while now there have been multiple copies of the Mattingly foil proof that have surfaced on eBay. I’m confident that the seller is not soaking them in water and have actually seen uncut sheets where they came from.

Whether these are or are not real proofs I can’t say, but I can say with 100% certainty that there are legit proofs out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I’m not sure it’s fair to call the seller a scammer. Others have said he’s reputable and honest and even mentioned they unlisted the remaining cards.

It’s possible the seller was scammed themselves and bought these cards thinking they were in fact proofs. It’s also possible they reached out to the purchaser of the Sandberg card to discuss. We don’t know the logistics...

My two cents anyway.

" It’s possible the seller was scammed themselves and bought these cards thinking they were in fact proofs."

I believe this is the case. The seller sent me a PM and said they were going to pull the auctions, and they did. Did the other seller know this, prob not. Any card that has some type of a foil sandwich can be made to look like missing back or foil back.

I came across some 1998 finest blank back proofs on ebay over 11 years ago and bought some as did other Juan collectors. When the 93's came up I keep thing about it and then I remembered. Here is that post from 2008.

https://juangone.com/showthread.php?t=444

I just wanted for collectors to be aware of the possibility's of things, that is why I stated . You be the judge!

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Definitely. One of the things I like about FCB is that, all things considered, we are a pretty fair bunch. I'll go ahead and call out another site...maybe not the one you meant...and that's Blowout. What the hell, I'm gonna take the time to compare and contrast these two sites. So here goes...

Here on FCB a longtime member and reputable seller - who most of us have bought from - created a new post asking if any of us knew about these 'proofs' he had acquired. For a while, none of us really had the answer. But after a bit [MENTION=4735]nosterbor[/MENTION] chimed in with some archival knowledge, and pointed out these were probably soaked and peeled. I did that last night with one of my Finest dupes and yes, it's pretty straightforward to create these 'proofs'. And I'm actually keeping it in my collection just for fun! But then again, [MENTION=12140]DonnieBaseball[/MENTION] posted that he knows there are real proofs out there. So in the end, we know that a) that legit Finest proofs exist, and b) the same thing can be made at home.

In the meantime, the seller had posted them on ebay (with IMHO very high prices, as I've mentioned elsewhere, but that's OK...free market and all). But he's obviously paying attention to the chatter here, and with a dose of intellectual honesty that is all too rare in this hobby, he pulled his auctions. Wow. Ain't that how it should be in this hobby, and on these message boards?

Now if this same thing had gone down on BO, it would have been a feeding frenzy with 800+ posts. And 70% of them would have been snarky irrelevant comments about this that and the other, with a zillion stupid memes and animated gifs. And if anyone tried to read that thread start to finish, their IQ would have dropped by at least 6 points.

This is why I call FCB home. And Matt, you're on your game and I'd be glad to do business with you again.

Another site I frequent actually requires posters to provide their full name if they are discussing a person in a public forum post. Probably not a bad idea, so you know who is calling who out. That way, if there are any issued with the accused or the accuser, people know who is who and that it is not someone hiding behind an anonymous screen name, slinging crap to stir the pot. Not saying that is what is happening here, but I have seen some whoppers online...

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My post was more thinking that it is not a bad idea to use real names if you want to call someone out for something. Maybe the timing was inappropriate to this thread specifically, and I didn't mean for it to imply that anyone was being dubious.

The site I am talking about is Net54. If you post something about another member, auction house or anyone specific, they require you to include your real name and this is monitored by the site owner it seems. I try to stay out of that bashing stuff mostly and have not added my full name to my profile and have never been asked to disclose my real name in a conversation. It is not that I mind anyone knowing who I am, but I realized after years of talking about and sharing information, people could use that in a bad way. Probably best to remain as anonymous as possible if you are talking about having $$$$ worth of collectibles and people know exactly who you are, where you live, what you do for work, etc. All of those threads are out there and a lot of people have answered and provided a lot of details over time.