Thread: MLB suspends Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, manager A.J. Hinch for a year

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLB suspends Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, manager A.J. Hinch for a year

MLB suspends Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, manager A.J. Hinch for a year in sign-stealing scandal

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-suspend...190918702.html

dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Dodgers fan I'm a biased observer, of course. So take the following with a grain of salt.

This an absolute fracking joke of a "punishment". How the hell do the Astros get to keep their rings and WS trophy? I'm not saying the Dodgers should get it, but the Astros should absolutely vacate their title. And Hinch/Luhnow should be suspended for life, not just a year. This is organizational cheating and imo is worse than gambling.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Sox manager Alex Cora will get worse. He was the bench coach of that Astros team too, then brought the cheating to Boston. ESPN says Cora is identified throughout MLB's report as "the ringleader" of the cheating for both teams.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crane just outright dismissed Hinch and Luhnow!
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hinch, Luhnow, and Cora had better make plans to live out the rest of their days knowing they'll never be employed by MLB again.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am biased, but this didn't punish the team. players got over and they still have there rings

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheaters never win......can trash that one!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My my my how the mighty have fallen. Douchebags I say.

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNP777 View Post
    Hinch, Luhnow, and Cora had better make plans to live out the rest of their days knowing they'll never be employed by MLB again.
    I'm not sure I agree on Hinch. Sounds like he wasn't involved and took some steps to try and stop it (though obviously not nearly enough).

Teams are looking for good managers. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get another shot.

I think Cora may face a lifetime ban for his roll (or at least 3 years). Don't know enough about Luhnow to know whether people will take another shot with him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNP777 View Post
    I agree, and I'm not biased. Go Phillies!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D7DA692-DA21-44FD-BACC-F2E8786D4BD8.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	96286
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Sox fan I'm very interested in this as it will likely impact my team very soon. I read some of Jim cranes quotes blaming, essentially the players but putting hinch and lunhow on the chopping block for not stopping/reporting it. Then in nearly the next breath he says he doesn't think this taints their world series. If it doesn't taint your trophy sir then why bother going over the top of the punishment already handed down?
    In reality I think all teams have done/are doing this in the past few seasons, it's getting blown up in the hype machine of the media because two world series champions have been caught. If MLB keeps digging and does a "Mitchell report" style investigation I think they'll find it's waaaaay more prevalent then they want to admit.
    I suppose they need to handle these situations as they came to light but they would serve themselves well to use both of these situations to decide a standard set of rules and punishments for sign stealing.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D7DA692-DA21-44FD-BACC-F2E8786D4BD8.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	96286

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt Luhnow will ever be employed again in mlb. Hinch on the other hand, IDK. He's young and was well respected...but sounds like Luhnow was not respected. I'm certainly not justifying Hinch as being innocent here, but he was put in a really hard place by his upper management and players by trying to keep upper management happy and keeping the respect of his players by being "the cool parent" and not snitching. Tough place to be put in where you would hope morals would prevail, when they did not.

On a side note about the punishment. I would like to see where you have to actually be under contract with a team for the punishments to be implemented. Meaning you can't serve your suspension now that you've been fired. That would be a way to "ban them for life" without actually banning them for life. No team would sign them knowing they won't be able to actually do their job for the first year. I would like to see something along these lines implemented when players are suspended for PED's/DV or whatever....where they can't serve their suspension while also on the DL...you should be on the 25 man roster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast