Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB suspends Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, manager A.J. Hinch for a year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
As a Dodgers fan I'm a biased observer, of course. So take the following with a grain of salt.

This an absolute fracking joke of a "punishment". How the hell do the Astros get to keep their rings and WS trophy? I'm not saying the Dodgers should get it, but the Astros should absolutely vacate their title. And Hinch/Luhnow should be suspended for life, not just a year. This is organizational cheating and imo is worse than gambling.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Red Sox manager Alex Cora will get worse. He was the bench coach of that Astros team too, then brought the cheating to Boston. ESPN says Cora is identified throughout MLB's report as "the ringleader" of the cheating for both teams.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Hinch, Luhnow, and Cora had better make plans to live out the rest of their days knowing they'll never be employed by MLB again.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hinch, Luhnow, and Cora had better make plans to live out the rest of their days knowing they'll never be employed by MLB again.

I'm not sure I agree on Hinch. Sounds like he wasn't involved and took some steps to try and stop it (though obviously not nearly enough).

Teams are looking for good managers. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get another shot.

I think Cora may face a lifetime ban for his roll (or at least 3 years). Don't know enough about Luhnow to know whether people will take another shot with him.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
As a Sox fan I'm very interested in this as it will likely impact my team very soon. I read some of Jim cranes quotes blaming, essentially the players but putting hinch and lunhow on the chopping block for not stopping/reporting it. Then in nearly the next breath he says he doesn't think this taints their world series. If it doesn't taint your trophy sir then why bother going over the top of the punishment already handed down?
In reality I think all teams have done/are doing this in the past few seasons, it's getting blown up in the hype machine of the media because two world series champions have been caught. If MLB keeps digging and does a "Mitchell report" style investigation I think they'll find it's waaaaay more prevalent then they want to admit.
I suppose they need to handle these situations as they came to light but they would serve themselves well to use both of these situations to decide a standard set of rules and punishments for sign stealing.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
srcyX07.jpg

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I doubt Luhnow will ever be employed again in mlb. Hinch on the other hand, IDK. He's young and was well respected...but sounds like Luhnow was not respected. I'm certainly not justifying Hinch as being innocent here, but he was put in a really hard place by his upper management and players by trying to keep upper management happy and keeping the respect of his players by being "the cool parent" and not snitching. Tough place to be put in where you would hope morals would prevail, when they did not.

On a side note about the punishment. I would like to see where you have to actually be under contract with a team for the punishments to be implemented. Meaning you can't serve your suspension now that you've been fired. That would be a way to "ban them for life" without actually banning them for life. No team would sign them knowing they won't be able to actually do their job for the first year. I would like to see something along these lines implemented when players are suspended for PED's/DV or whatever....where they can't serve their suspension while also on the DL...you should be on the 25 man roster.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't think needing to be under contract is a big deal. Suspended players/coaches lose pay. If I was say a Tigers fan and I knew my team was already out of it before the season starts I'd say hire Hinch, give a respected coach a one year interim tag and let's keep building. Players suspended for PEDs continually sign new contracts, as long as they are willing to potentially take the deal offered and not be stubborn.