Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recognizing players as they age or even just out of uniform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some people are just so distinct or have been photographed to the extreme. Just about everyone who is vaguely knowledgable with baseball can probably pick out an old aged Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb from a photo. Some of the lesser known and more nondescript players may start to get very hard to identify as they become old men. I have seen shots of old timers taken in the 60s and 70s and some of them just look like really old dudes and I'd have no clue that they were once young strapping MLB stars! It happens to most of society, so why no athletes.

This happened with me recently and I had to look up the HOF class to figure out who the 5th guy was. The other 3 were immediately recognizable to me and the 4th was why I stumbled upon the photo to begin with, so I knew who he was. As it turned out, this guy played in the prime of my baseball following, but I still could not place the face.

Some people may have better recall for specific HOF classes and might know this from the year or maybe they are better at recognizing aging players, but I was really shocked to learn that the guy in the upper right was Tim Raines!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I guessed Bagwell pretty quickly, and after a minute I figured out Rodriguez. But you could have given me another year and I wouldn't have identified Raines.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Not in that pic, no. I knew he was elected to the HOF, unfortunately, but I just plain forgot. And seeing him in that pic did nothing to jog my memory. He might as well have been Danny Glover. Total non-recognition!

Nobuddy recognizes the man in the lower left, huh??

Members online