Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

consensus on the psa trimming scandal here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
didn't really see any threads about it here.

wondering if this is considered a taboo subject here, like the cu board, or welcomed territory like blowout?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think gilmo's made any sort of statement on the subject or made it taboo, but there's not much to say about it. There are some bad players out there and they've poisoned the well. Depending on how much you're committed to graded cards, you may have a little concern or a lot. Given that PSA has graded 25 million cards or whatever, chances are any cards in your collection are fine. I'm very disappointed with the reactions of not only PSA but the large dealers being very non-committal, basically just keeping their heads down waiting for it to blow over. But the fact is PSA and 3PG in general is too big a part of the hobby now for confidence to be shaken enough to effect a permanent change, is my view.

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned much here. I think as a hobby we are keeping our heads in the sand waiting for it to blow over. I have known for years that this was a much bigger problem than most, but they have already showed that the extent is much worse than I ever imagined. I think most people are separating themselves from it by believing that it only applies to huge dollar items, when the reality is they are trimming cards that as a 10 are barely worth more than the grading fee. Short of government intervention (which I don't expect), I think this will ultimately blow over and we will continue to act like it only applies to a small percentage of graded cards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm really surprised it isn't bigger on this forum and The Bench for sure. It's huge on Blowout and pretty active on Net54.

I didn't have tons of graded stuff anyway (at least by current hobby standards) but I did have 500 or so PSA slabs at any given time. I've whittled that down to about 50 PSA slabs that I know aren't altered, either because I pulled the card in question or I know the pack provenance of the card, and I don't see myself adding many slabbed PSA cards going forward unless they make some major changes.

I do have a couple hundred SGC slabs of vintage Ginter stuff but I don't really care if it is altered or not. They're all slabbed authentic or less than a 4. I just look for good color and minimal paper loss with them. I go into it assuming all of them have been soaked out of albums and I'm not paying the premium for high grades anyway. Could some of them be trimmed or altered other than soaking? Maybe but I don't try to play in the high end where trimming seems to make the most difference

Members online

Latest posts