Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Feb Night Crew . . . Spring Training?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
It's never too early to think of MVP/CY/ROY predictions. . . who are your candidates? I am thinking Astros are going to get the cold shoulder so things are looking clearer in AL.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
How did the interview go ?

He took the recommendation of NC to fool around . . .

my-goodness-look-at-that-physikh_o_2703593.jpg

. . . and now he is waiting for a callback. :lol:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
NL MVP? Nolan Arenado! Of course I'm a homer, but he's rippin' pissed at GM Jeff Bridich, and I think he's the kind of guy who can feed off that. And the reason he's pissed boils down to the Rockies' complacency with losing. So this might be the season where he throws the team on his back and becomes the kind of leader that gets a team to play to its potential. I'm telling you...look out for Arenado this year. Unless he tears a quad.

AL MVP? Trout. Safest bet in baseball.

NL Cy? AL Cy? Who knows. In the past 20 years the AL has 17 different winners. The NL has had a few more dominant pitchers so there's "only" 13 different winners. But to me pitching seems to be pretty random, and the list of winners throughout history is peppered with one hit wonders. If there was one bet I could use a time machine to win big bucks on long odds, it would be the Cy Young.

It's never too early to think of MVP/CY/ROY predictions. . . who are your candidates? I am thinking Astros are going to get the cold shoulder so things are looking clearer in AL.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Interesting you mention Arenado as I was considering him for a very high spot on my list. The best Arenado homer pick would be that he is traded to an AL team midseason, and wins both MVPs. :cool:

Mike Trout is certainly up there on the AL side, but he has been injured more and more lately plus voters seem to have a fatigue for voting for the same guy (which is why he has been robbed a few times) still a top pick.

For NL CY I think a youth movement is coming at the top and would consider Jack Flaherty to have the breakthrough.

AL CY my favorite is still Carrot Pole, aka Val Venis aka Pinestripe Pole aka Gerrit the Carrot aka Poleiosis. :-|

For ROYs I first need to figure out who the fck is eligible from last year, and to make fancy pie charts with all the toppings to see who might get enough ABs this year. They didn't do away with the service time manipulation rules yet right? I forget.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Who doesn't love mindless preseason predictions!?
AL
MVP- no safer bet than trout although this year if he's able to make the playoffs there will be a lot of chatter that he needed rendon to do it but he's still the best player on the planet. Runner-up - Lindor
Cy Young - tossing a dart on the board- Jose Berrios
ROY - Luis Robert, really just more of a hope. He was one of my keepers on my fantasy team, looks like a beast though.

NL
MVP- Arenado is my runner up pick, he will be hurt by the Coors effect and the fact they will finish 3rd or 4th in the division and we'll out of contention. The trio of Betts, Bellinger and Yelich are all safe picks but I'm going to a new york media darling. I'll say the Mets do enough to stay relevant in the playoff race this year and most of it is on the bat of the polar bear, Pete Alonso wins MVP to follow up his monster rookie season.
CY Young - in order, going for the trifecta here, Degrom, Scherzer, Luis Castillo
ROY - Dylan Carlson followed closely by Gavin Lux

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Alright, I've made my official list... MVP first.

MVP

NL MVP
1.Betts
2.Yelich
3.Bellinger

AL MVP
1.Trout
2.Judge
3.Cole

(Arenado and Chapman are two guys that could get MVP level season but will get snubbed if it happens.)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Mindless? I have half a mind to...er I mean I have a quarter mind to...well maybe a tenth of a mind. Oh who am I kidding.

I don't know anything about anything, but damnit I'm standing by my Arenado prediction. You'll see. You'll all see, and when you do, you'll be sorry!

Haste how do you not have this guy in your top 3 NL candidates? Betts??? He's awesome and all, but going from AL to NL isn't generally kind to superstar hitters. I have nothing to back up this statement except my dim recollections and intuitions at midnight. But I'm kinda serious...among all the superstars traded from AL to NL, what's the list of those who have prospered versus those who have flailed? Actually that would be a pretty good thread of its own.

Who doesn't love mindless preseason predictions!?

Last edited:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Arenado is a comparable skill level player to Betts but I am predicting a Dodgers ******* wave by the media this year, they are going to win a shtload of games and there will be bias. Plus he is really good.

If Nolan was traded to that team.... damn! :) Then he could win, plus they would win an obscene number of games.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Cy Young

AL

1.Gerrit Cole
2.Justin Verlander
3.Blake Snell

NL

1.Jack Flaherty
2.Jacob DeGrom
3.Walker Buehler

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Arenado is a comparable skill level player to Betts but I am predicting a Dodgers ******* wave by the media this year, they are going to win a shtload of games and there will be bias. Plus he is really good.

If Nolan was traded to that team.... damn! :) Then he could win, plus they would win an obscene number of games.

Much to banjars demise if Arenado will ever get the attention he deserves he needs to be on a different team. Even if Colorado turned into a perennial winner he would unfortunately still not see the appreciation he deserves.
Particularly with the lack of quality thirdbaseman we should be singing this guy's praises as one of the best we've seen at the hot corner.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
If Arenado was traded to the Yankees right before Opening Day I would be tempted to put him at #1. Its going to be a NYY/LAD year.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
This is factual.

Much to banjars demise if Arenado will ever get the attention he deserves he needs to be on a different team. Even if Colorado turned into a perennial winner he would unfortunately still not see the appreciation he deserves.
Particularly with the lack of quality thirdbaseman we should be singing this guy's praises as one of the best we've seen at the hot corner.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And this is also factual:

You guys need to get on board the Nolan train! Just like the O'Jays. You all know your heart lies with my boy Nolan. So just do it. Go with your heart, and get on board!

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
And this is also factual:

You guys need to get on board the Nolan train! Just like the O'Jays. You all know your heart lies with my boy Nolan. So just do it. Go with your heart, and get on board!

I am on board with him being an amazing player, but have no clue what he is talking about these days. Just one year into a 260mil contract with a team that never spends.... and he is wondering why they aren't spending?! :lol:

It reminds me of the scene from Scary Movie 2 where they spent so much money on the thermal ghost goggles that instead of walkie talkies they use dixie cups with string. :-|

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I think there's little doubt that Arenado is the greatest active thirdbaseman. Which makes me think about another list. Going into 2020 who is your "greatest" at each position. I mean this in a historical sense not a "Bowman prospect, who can I make money off of" sense, if someone puts wander Franco at short stop I'm gonna bust a ***!

C-Yadier Molina
1b-Albert Pujols
2b-Robinson Cano
3b-Nolan Arenado
SS-Xander Bogaerts
OF-Mike Trout
OF-Andrew McCutcheon
OF-Mookie Betts
P-Justin Verlander
P-Clayton Kershaw

Posey v Molina is tight, Posey has the ROY, an MVP, 3 rings, which is a ton, but Molina is so crazy good behind the plate I just can't go against him, this was my hardest position.
I wanted Miguel Cabrera to make the list but say what you want about the megadeal Pujols got in LA he has aged better than Cabrera.
Shortstop is tough, everyone is so young no one has a giant historical feel like lots of the positions do. Many people are in this conversation but Bogaerts has good individual numbers to go along with two rings so I don't have a problem.making him a "homer" pick
Outfield has a ton of options after Trout. I picked Cutch and Mookie. Cutch has lost a step, and his injury last year notwithstanding he has aged semi gracefully by modern standards. If it weren't for Ryan Braun's PED issues the Hebrew Hammer may have made the list but Mookie already has an MVP and a WS ring so he takes the spot.
Pitchers, I think Verlander and Kershaw are easy picks. Scherzer and maybe Grienke have arguments but by my eye JV and Kershaw are above the rest.

Members online