Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The weirdest packed out card scrap I've seen (1997 New Pinnacle)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
A guy on a card collecting Facebook group I'm a member of recently opened a box of 1997 New Pinnacle Baseball. The card pictured below was included in a pack. Interestingly, it was on top of the same card in normal condition. Guy was nice enough to send it to me for free for my Grace PC.

The weirdness includes the diagonal cut, really rough edges on all sides, another smaller diagonal cut on the left edge, and clear tape over half of the card front with the Pinnacle logo printed on the tape in black. The tape wraps around the edges a little and folds over just a bit to the card back along the bottom diagonal cut. If you look closely on the front, you can see the tape extends halfway up the card to just above his elbow.

I have no clue what was going on here. Just weird that this scrap made it into a hobby box pack. Who knew Pinnacle Branded Tape was a thing? Weird, wild stuff.

pinnacle1.jpg
pinnacle2.jpg

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I remember getting the occasional printer scrap stuff in my packs, mostly in the 90s, but never anything like that. I know he's your guy and all but that's definitely an eBay 1/1!!

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I saw that on Facebook and thought it was very odd. Quality control (and security) was probably suffering quite a bit around that time. Just ask cardcop; he'll give you all the details. :lol:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Maybe they had an intern helping with production and he was too slow to put the sheet in the cutter so it took some off the card bottom. He then tried to tape the card back together so no one would notice and sent it on its way to packaging. The other piece is out there somewhere! Start ripping!!

That intern was never heard from again...

Highly Trouted

Jan 27, 2011
Wisconsin
I have some wierd stuff like this as well. My favorite is an Alex Rodriguez leaf card, I think from 1993 that doesn't have Leaf Logo on it, but where that logo is supposed to go is a "+" sign.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I just want to say it's amazing that piece of scrap survived 23 years and ended up in Gracecollector's collection.

Members online

Latest posts