User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When was the first serial numbered parallel cards issued for Baseball cards?

raddison1972
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was the first serial numbered parallel cards issued for Baseball cards?

I'm not sure I know the answer to this question and thought the fine people on this board would have some good input.

By the way, I'm aware of 1996-97 Hockey and Basketball issues from Flair that had them (Blue Ice and I think Row 0 Showcase or something like that).

I'm not sure the 1996 Flair Baseball had those serial numbered parallels yet.

By the way, I'm thinking parallel only meaning identical card picture and maybe something different like color and a sequential serial numbered added to the card. I know Donruss had those /10,000 cards that were impossible to find in a pack unless you went to see them at a card show back in the day.

Thanks for reading and sharing any knowledge you've got!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raddison1972 View Post
    I'm not sure I know the answer to this question and thought the fine people on this board would have some good input.

By the way, I'm aware of 1996-97 Hockey and Basketball issues from Flair that had them (Blue Ice and I think Row 0 Showcase or something like that).

I'm not sure the 1996 Flair Baseball had those serial numbered parallels yet.

By the way, I'm thinking parallel only meaning identical card picture and maybe something different like color and a sequential serial numbered added to the card. I know Donruss had those /10,000 cards that were impossible to find in a pack unless you went to see them at a card show back in the day.

Thanks for reading and sharing any knowledge you've got!
    I remember them starting in 1996, with Bowman's Best Refractors / Atomic Ref, Fleer Circa Rave/Super Rave, Topps Gallery Player's Private Issue. But I think there were some off-brands that did it earlier for true parallels (Scoreboard?).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1993 Ted Williams Autos of Juan Gonzalez serial numbered to 43 Very rare!

https://juangone.com/pictures.php?cardid=188
    Last edited by nosterbor; 02-14-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1990 Upper Deck has the Reggie autos hand numbered right? Not sure about machine numbered. I pulled a Chuck Knoblauch auto stamped to /3000 or something in 1992 Score. Gotta be something earlier though Iím guessing

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    1990 Upper Deck has the Reggie autos hand numbered right? Not sure about machine numbered. I pulled a Chuck Knoblauch auto stamped to /3000 or something in 1992 Score. Gotta be something earlier though I’m guessing

" I'm thinking parallel only meaning identical card picture "
    Neither of the above are a parallel.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    " I'm thinking parallel only meaning identical card picture "
    Neither of the above are a parallel.
    Ah, I missed that part yes

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you're looking for answers and not just guesses but 96 is as early and I can think of off the top of my head. Circa Rave for sure, I'm fairly certain there were a few others.

raddison1972
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I was looking for more heads and not really the answer as I'm not sure anyone could say without a doubt when it was. I did forget about the Circa Raves. I've got many of the Jermaine Allensworth cards from that year and forgot about him! Don't tell my Boilermaker buddy I forgot him though!

That Juan gone card fits with a true parallel if it was actually found in packs that way. Nostebor, do you know if these could be pulled from the packs in 1993 or some redemption or other way to obtain. I could see where a nefarious bad guy could grab 43 cards he had and asked for Juan to sign them and just add the serial number yourself later. I'm not saying this happened, but it could easily be done.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pack pulled. the back of the cards that were autographed had a gold foil 'B' in the upper right corner. No gold foil B and they are not real.
    Last edited by nosterbor; 02-14-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    Pack pulled. the back of the cards that were autographed had a gold foil 'B' in the upper right corner. No gold foil B and they are not real.
    I don't want to hijack the thread as this is off topic, but what did the gold foil B stand for?? "Big ass pull"?? In 93 that was pretty close to as big as it could get. Despite the joke this is a serious question.

raddison1972
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread as this is off topic, but what did the gold foil B stand for?? "Big ass pull"?? In 93 that was pretty close to as big as it could get. Despite the joke this is a serious question.
    Funny, I saw the Big B and thought it was an internet watermark, like COMC puts on all it's images. Good to know they did something to formally distinguish the card! Thanks for sharing! Now I wanna go open some 1993 Ted Williams!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    I remember them starting in 1996, with Bowman's Best Refractors / Atomic Ref, Fleer Circa Rave/Super Rave, Topps Gallery Player's Private Issue. But I think there were some off-brands that did it earlier for true parallels (Scoreboard?).
    The set I was remembering was 1992 Classic Best. It had autographed hand-numbered parallels of the cards for:

Ken Griffey, Jr.
    David McCarty
    Nolan Ryan
    Mike Schmidt
    Brien Taylor
    Royce Clayton

14,000 total autographs among those 6 players. The Ryan's were numbered out of 3,100 for instance.

And it turns out 1991 Classic Best had a Mike Schmidt auto parallel of the base card.

Last edited by gracecollector; 02-14-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the autos qualify, then the Reggie Jackson 1990 Upper Deck auto /2500 would qualify.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1994 Donruss Diamond King Jumbos were serial #d to 10,000

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I had never thought about that. For what it's worth, here are the earliest ones from my collection...

1993 Donruss Elite Jumbo /5000

But this isn't an identical card since it's oversized. And also not pack-pulled, if that matters.

The first true pack-pulled serial numbered parallels I have are from 1996:

Circa Rave /150

Topps Gallery Players Private Issue /999 (although they didn't actually print the "999" on the back, meaning card #394/999 was just marked "394".
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast