Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby/Retail wax hording

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I see hobby/retail wax hording is now a thing. Everyone hoping their unopened hobby/retail wax stash will bring big bucks years from now. If wax hording keeps product sealed, certain cards will never see the light of day. Guess that's the strategy?

Fordman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Back in the mid 90's I started building Topps baseball sets from about 1975 through 1990. I bought unopened wax, cello and vending boxes. Mostly at shows. We had a little extra money. And my wife's permission for me to do it. :p I know I bought one or two vending boxes on Ebay. They were searched. So I learned my lesson quick. I bought from dealers on line with good repetitions and it worked out.

I'm amazed at some price that these unopened boxes go for now. I still have a unopened case of 1990 Topps baseball sitting down stairs. ::facepalm:: I did save a few unopened packs. Those are so tempting some times.

Mouschi has started a nice collection of unopened boxes and vintage cards since he sold his Canseco collection.

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I bought hobby boxes of all 3 series (I, II, Update) of 2015 Topps with this in mind back in 2015. Actually, bought 2 boxes of update. I was looking at what 2011 Topps Update is going for and figured there were some good rookies in 2015 Update, so may as well hope they go up. Series I & II have more than doubled and the update boxes have gone up 4x. 2015 is actually loaded with rookies in it like Baez, Bryant, Lindor Correa, Urshella, Syndergaard, Buxton, Soler.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't new. It's one of the reason why junk wax is junk wax. Anyone with a couple hundred dollars was putting away cases of 87-91 stuff in their closets back in the day. It's maybe reached new heights with Zion-mania this year, as you can not expect to find any basketball product on the shelves more than 5 minutes after it's put out, and it sells online for double retail price. But yes, holding unopened boxes is a thing. A box is like a broad fund of every card in the product, and as they go, the boxes go, with the added benefit of an ever-shrinking supply.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
First stop when the time machine is finished: 1952 drugstores for some of those Topps packs everyone's been talking about. :D

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
If wax hording keeps product sealed, certain cards will never see the light of day. Guess that's the strategy?

Fordman

hard to claim the lottery winnings unless you scratch those too. but hoarding wax and the price associated with it comes from the "what if" factor. the "0, 00" downfall on this gamble are the redemption cards that are inserted and their impending expiration dates.

adalah

Feb 6, 2019

Great picture
o.png

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I love that pic. I use to go to that store with my mother on fordam rd in the boogie down Bronx

Just think what that table full of cards would be worth today!

Probably worth $50 wholesale then and if they were dumped, the store was credited.

Who knew?

Fordman

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
After a day at the National, my wide couldn't get over the BBCX table with single packs of cards worth the price of a decent car. I pulled up that pic and told her there were millions of dollars sitting on that table, let alone the uncut sheets and stuff.

Now her complaining about the lack of basketball availability is almost a daily thing. She's a blaster box addict and goes to WM or Target almost every day, and almost every day I hear how it's unfair that people will just walk away with a whole display to flip as soon as it's put out. She just wants to rip it.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
It all depends on which boxes of unopened product you hoard. If say, you hoarded boxes of 1987, 1988 and 1989 Topps baseball, even though that product is now over 30 years old you likely wasted your money because those products were mass produced. But if you hoard the right boxes, you can end up sitting on a goldmine years down the road as I'm sure people who hoarded boxes of basketball product from 1986-87, Jordan's rookie year, and 2000 Playoff Contenders football (Tom Brady's best RC) likely are.

Members online

Latest posts