Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Susan Rini Original Painting - Carl Furillo/Roy White

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A long time ago, I was fortunate to win this original art that was used to make one of those Z silk first day cachets. I don't know if there are undated copies or different dates as well, but the images I borrowed from online shows Oct 8 & 9, 1988 and references a Nassau card show that I presume was that week/weekend. I could probably dig out an old Beckett or Baseball Card Magazine and may even find an add for the show. I am going to guess that White and Furillo were guests and they cancelled/signed the cachets at that show.

I was also fortunate to win a small stash of these signed cachets in the early days of ebay. I can't recall how many I have left, but gave or traded a few away years back. I have them stashed somewhere, just not sure where at the moment.

Rini has done a number of Dodger paintings that were made into postcards and photos.

I came across the original again this past weekend. It is signed by both Furillo and White. The Furillo is light unfortunately. It's about 8x10 in size. I don't own a lot of original art, but this is definitely one of my favorites.

Furillo apparently shunned the world of baseball after he retired. He was released by the team while recovering from an injury and ended up suing the them because he believed he should not have been released during an injury (work related). He believed he was blackballed from getting future jobs, so he left it all behind. Eventually he would return in the late 70s/early 80s with some old timers events and worked as a coach in the fantasy camps for a bit.

Furillo died just 3 1/2 months after this Nassau card show, at age 66, of an apparent heart attack.

81pP4eQFomL._AC_SL1500_.jpgcarl_furillo_roy_white_autographed_signed_first_day_cover_certified_authentic_p3649771.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
zsilk.png

Great item. I tried to track down the Susan Rini original for a print that I had but no luck. Even spoke to her sister (Susan passed away some years ago) and she told me about how much of Susan's original work was sold off.

I recently picked up the card in this attached photo and I'm ecstatic - I saw this set before but had no idea Justice was in it.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Very cool! I'd love to own her original art for the Zimmer cachet / postcard.

91RINISILK.jpg

91HISTORICLIMITED.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I found some 8x10s of the art from that postcard set. Do you know if there is a Zim? I don't know if it was sold as 8x10s or reproduced later. I have a small stack. Will have to dig them out to remember who I had.

Members online