Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2020 Fantasy Baseball Talk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Morning, all. I've been in a roto fantasy baseball keeper league for several years now and looking for your thoughts. The league is 12 teams, each team MUST keep 5 players from the previous year, and since I finished dead last in 2019 I'll have the first pick in the snake draft. I've got some solid keepers; too many really and I'm debating on a couple of them. Here's what I've got to choose from:

1. Blackmon - keeping
2. Torres - keeping
3. Vlad, Jr. - keeping
4. Ohtani - keeping
5. Giolito -or- Mondesi. (I've also got M. Semien and T. Mancini, but haven't factored them into the 5th keeper mix)

- I'm leaning heavily toward keeping Giolito because he's young and had a breakout year in the weak AL Central. However, another owner reported to me that he is not keeping Strasburg and I could get him with my 1st pick when drafting starts (or a better pitcher/player if one is available).

- Mondesi would be a huge source for SB assuming he can stay healthy and get on base. We don't have AVG as a roto category - that was dropped last year in favor of OBP and HR was replaced with SLG - but his OBP could hurt me...and Torres satisfies my SS or SS/2B roster spots. However, those steals could near the 60 mark for Mondi.

What are your guys' opinions? It's a good problem to have TOO many keepers. :)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I love fantasy baseball and have played for over 20 years. I've never been a huge fan of roto so I haven't done a roto league since maybe 2007. However even with less experience I know that steals in today's game are hard to come by. I suppose it simply boils down to what pitching is/will be available. If arms are available I'd keep Mondesi. ,Unless you think he'll be overlooked and you can snag him back

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Looks like top 5 arms that may be available would be Strasburg, Corbin, Morton, Greinke, and Clevinger...with slight possibility of Nola, Syndergaard, and/or Castillo. It'd be pretty nice to have Strasburg, Giolito, and Ohtani (when he returns) as starters and with the depth at SS, I might be able to nab Mondesi at the end of the second round.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I ended up keeping Giolito. Some decent pitching ended up in the draft pool: Strasburg, Kershaw, Nola, Castillo, Corbin, Morton, Greinke, Clevinger, Syndergaard...
Solid position players, too: S. Marte, Merrifield, Goldschmidt.

I think I'll draft one of the pitchers first, then start filling positions on the swing.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm so excited for my drafts, I've got three weeks. Both are auctions, my 18 team non keeper is first then my 20 team keeper league, both are in person and gets fairly tense by the end when people run low on draft dollars and need to find value

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
So the delay of the season will certainly help the value of players that were going to start the season on the DL or were still working back from injuries, but I'm wondering if there are other effects. The only thing I can think of is that older pitchers with big workloads could benefit. I expected Strasburg and Scherzer would strategically miss starts throughout the season along with older pitchers like Price and Kershaw, but with the shortened season they may not miss any starts.

Any other impacts?

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I agree...and I think Ohtani will gain some value since he wasn't going to pitch until the start until at least mid-May anyhow. Sale having TJ will have a big impact, too.
I also think that, if the season does happen, players won't be worn out as much heading into the postseason stretch.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
There's always lots of April injuries but I think that increases whenever they begin with the start of the season being so screwy. Also specific to fantasy middle of the road durable guys become more valuable. If the season loses two months, let's just say, some guys who are good but take a yearly trip to the IL see a larger percentage of playing time disappear. Also does the minor league clock get affected?? I believe the language is "days spent"in the majors not a percentage so maybe more big prospects start the year in the majors if service time isn't affected

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
There's always lots of April injuries but I think that increases whenever they begin with the start of the season being so screwy. Also specific to fantasy middle of the road durable guys become more valuable. If the season loses two months, let's just say, some guys who are good but take a yearly trip to the IL see a larger percentage of playing time disappear. Also does the minor league clock get affected?? I believe the language is "days spent"in the majors not a percentage so maybe more big prospects start the year in the majors if service time isn't affected

Not sure how the minor league clocks will get affected, but the Phillies said they may start Spencer Howard in the majors as he won't hit his innings limit with the shortened season.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
MLB is considering playing more doubleheaders and eliminating off days to get in as many games as possible. Swing men and bench players may have a little more value with increased playing time. Set up men would get more chances at saves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts