Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team collecting: thoughts and observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I’ve been organizing and collating my Mets collection and also figuring what guys I don’t have.

As of the end of the 2019 season there were 1,091 players who had at least one at bat, or threw one pitch in a Mets uniform in a major league game. In 1991, Wiz came out with a set of cards of everyone who ever played for the Mets, so all these numbers will be guys that debuted for the Mets post 1991. The wiz set was 450 cards, so 1091 - 450 = 641 guys post 1991.

Of those 641, 71 have never had a Mets baseball card (including minor league affiliates). 2 of those 71 are still with the team (Walker Lockett and Brad Brach) and could still get a card, 1 is deceased (Jeremi Gonzalez). That’s around 11%.

Breaking the guys who don’t have one Mets affiliated card down even further, I decided to look at the statistics of games, and for batters, plate appearances, and for pitchers, batters faced. Of those 71, pitcher Sean Green in 2009/2010 got into 90 games and faced 364 batters, and position player Anthony Recker in 2013-2015 got into 140 games with 432 plate appearances. Conversely, in 2001 Gary Bennett got into one game with one plate appearance and in 2018 pitcher Scott Copeland got into one game with 5 batters faced. I can understand the second set of guys not having cards, not so much the first set.

Of those 641, 45 have only had one Mets MLB card, and three of those are those oversized postcard type cards.

Of those 641, 85 only have Mets minor league affiliate cards, with 4 of them still with the team with potential for future cards. (1 is deceased - Cory Lidle). Of those 85, 60 have only had one minor league team issued card, including one of the 4 mentioned above (Stephen Nogosek).

Now, keep in mind, a lot of guys have cards for other teams, this is just about the Mets, so I disregarded other teams cards, including nonMets affiliated minor league team cards.

I’m not sure what anyone besides me would do with this information, but I thought it was interesting, and fun to share. Also, don’t forget I compiled all this info myself. I was pretty thorough, but take into account the human element and some of my numbers might be slightly off, but I did the best I could. Most of my information was mined from trading card database, which was invaluable in this research.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Gary Bennett sure bounced around. He has a stint with the Dodgers too, but not sure if he has a Dodgers card of any sort. If he did, it would probably be a Keebler/Mothers Cookie card or maybe an obscure team issued postcard.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Travis d'Arnaud is a very similar opposite for me. Both journeyman catchers too. He made it into 1 game with the Dodgers this past year before heading on to Tampa, after spending a fair amount of time with the Mets. Pretty sure there is nothing Dodger collectible related, as I barely even found a few images online showing him as a Dodger.

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
Superior effort! I have nearly done this type of collecting with Cardinals players. How many total Mets or Mets affiliated cards do you have?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So...everything has changed now...team collectors take note...I just discovered Spring Training playing card decks...pictures to follow. But I found guys like Anthony Recker displayed on a playing card, as well as other guys that I probably have counted here as missing or only a card or two. Not sure if every team does these, but it’s kind of a game changer as far as all my collating so far.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Superior effort! I have nearly done this type of collecting with Cardinals players. How many total Mets or Mets affiliated cards do you have?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sorry, didn’t see this when you replied the first time somehow. Right now I am collecting Mets autographs, so that’s why I did this, to see who has cards to send out TTM, etc...as far as individual different Mets autographs, I’m sitting at 433 guys who have been on the major league team right now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Always nice to find obscure guys in the "right" uniform. I am sure there are many Dodgers who don't have an official appearance in any sort of Dodgers MLB and/or MiLB issues too.

Members online

Latest posts