We are less than 3 weeks from a new season...which means another FCB original contest!
The game is completely free to enter and is open to the first 30 to sign up.
One entry per person, please.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Copy and paste the list at the bottom of this post with your name in the first available slot. Once all 30 slots are taken, the sign up is closed.
HOW TO PLAY
1. The 30 contestants will be split into two leagues of 15 players and 3 divisions per league of 5 players each (just like the MLB).
2. The contest will run from Opening Day (March 26th) and will conclude the last day of games before the All-Star break (July 12th)
3. Each team will earn points based on an MLB team's combined WAR for a single position. A complete team will feature the following positions:
Each player will get 3 separate and entirely unique teams. See #6 below.
4. The "season" will be split into three phases:
Phase 1: March 26 - April 30
Phase 2: May 1 - May 31
Phase 3: June 1 - July 12
After each phase, your team will rotate to an entirely new set of MLB team/position pairings.
Phase 1 = Your 1st team
Phase 2 = Your 2nd team (if you qualify, see below)
Phase 3 = Your 3rd team (if you qualify, see below)
5. Each 0.1 WAR = 0.1 points. So, if you accrue a 1.5 WAR at your SS position in a given phase, that is worth 1.5 points toward your team total. Simple as that!
6. Regardless of the phase, a contestant's team will be entirely unique from not only other 29 players, but also from your other two phases. No duplicate pairings whatsoever in a given phase. For example, if in Phase 1 you have the Los Angeles Angels for CF, you will be the only player in the entire league to have that pairing for that phase. On the same note, it will be the only time you'll have LAA in any phase. If you make it to Phase 3, all 30 MLB teams will have played a role in your success/failure!
7. While some team/position pairings are stronger than others (LAA/CF, CHW/C, HOU/3B, WAS/SP, etc...), the equalizer is that you are only getting them for a small portion of the season. Anything can happen with such a small sample size (hot streaks, cold streaks, slow starts, injuries), so don't despair if it seems that you have a weaker team/position at face value.
8. If you're feeling confused or overwhelmed, let me put that to rest by announcing that I will post regular updates throughout each phase. In other words; once you sign up, your job is done!
9. Fangraphs will be the official source for verifying team/position WAR totals for each phase.
At the end of Phase 1, the top 3 scoring teams in each division will advance to Phase 2 and will shift to their 2nd team. At this point, the 4th and 5th place teams in each division have been eliminated.
At the end of Phase 2, the top 5 scoring teams in each league will advance to Phase 3 and will shift to their 3rd team. Phase 1 scores carry over and are added to the Phase 2 scores. At this point, the 4 lowest scoring teams in each league have been eliminated.
Phase 3 is the championship round. All scores are reset in Phase 3, but there is an incentive to place as high as possible in the first two phases.
The top scoring team in each league after Phase 2 will start Phase 3 with 5 points
2nd highest: 3 points
3rd highest: 2 points
4th highest: 1 point
5th highest: 0 points
WINNING THE GAME
The winner of the 2020 MLB WAR League Challenge will not necessarily be the highest scoring team in Phase 3. Instead, they will be the highest scoring team from the highest combined scoring league in Phase 3. That's right, in order to be the grand champion, you will need the support from your 4 league mates.
Team 1 has the highest Phase 3 score in League A with a total of 15.6
Team 2 has the highest Phase 3 score in League B with a total of 17.5
However, League A combined for a total score of 37.0 in Phase 3, while League B combined for a total score of 36.3 in Phase 3.
Despite the lower individual score, Team 1 is the champion.
In the event of a tie in any phase (where advancement or winning is on the line), the nod will go to the team having the highest starting pitcher (SP) score in that phase. If still a tie, the highest relief pitcher score (RP) will be used.
1. The overall champion will get the choice of a Paypal gift or a nice card from their favorite team
2. The highest scoring team from the losing league will get a nice runner-up prize in the same vein
3. The other 28 teams will all earn ballots in a consolation draw, depending on how well they did.
1 ballot for playing Phase 1 only
3 ballots for advancing to Phase 2
5 ballots for advancing to Phase 3
A total of 3 prizes will be awarded. Max. one prize per contestant.
That should do it! Any questions, just ask!
Again, please copy/paste the attached signup list with your name in the first available slot. I will post the teams and projected WAR totals shortly.