Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS 9.5 or PSA 10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenm76

Mar 23, 2015
I have some BGS 9.5 cards and PSA 10 cards but I'm just curious, which do you consider to be more valuable out of both? I tend to prefer the older BGS 9.5 issues because the subgrades are stated on the grading case. When you're looking to buy, would you rather buy a card with a BGS 9.5 grade or PSA 10 grade?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I think you’ll get a million different opinions. Some based on beliefs in each company’s standard, some based on slab preference. Many prefer BGSs case, I find them unnecessarily clunky. I also think Beckett as a company has held too much sway over our hobby for too long while providing little more than made up information while taking in the cash. Screw Beckett

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I'd consider the PSA 10 to be better. That is THE highest mark they will give while BGS 9.5 has room for improvement. However, I'm sure a lot would depend on the age of the card; PSA is the preference on vintage (so I understand).

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
BGS 9.5's have lost some of their luster with modern rookie cards in cases where the centering is a 9. When the card has 9 centering, the value seems to drop by a good 20-30%.

You end up seeing people who are afraid of that sub going to PSA.

At this point...there prices on the resale market are fairly similar.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As said, I think the age of the card plays into it.

Pre-1981 for instance, like the Rickey RC I've drooled over all these years, I think most people would prefer a PSA grade...

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
When buying a graded card, you'll usually pay more for a PSA card. Especially for vintage cards. It's just more people want a PSA graded card. Who knows, the scandal that's been going on with graded cards might change a lot of peoples minds about PSA graded cards.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I'd consider the PSA 10 to be better. That is THE highest mark they will give while BGS 9.5 has room for improvement. However, I'm sure a lot would depend on the age of the card; PSA is the preference on vintage (so I understand).

This sums it up for me.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
For modern cards (let's say 1990-present) it seems to go:

> BGS 10 Black Label
> BGS 10
> PSA 10
> BGS 9.5
> PSA 9
> BGS 9

Obviously things can vary based on population and the particular card. Bowman Chrome refractor auto RCs seem to do better in BGS 9.5, but other things seem to do better in PSA 10.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
When buying a graded card, you'll usually pay more for a PSA card. Especially for vintage cards. It's just more people want a PSA graded card. Who knows, the scandal that's been going on with graded cards might change a lot of peoples minds about PSA graded cards.

So what's the scandal?

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
PSA knowingly grading trimmed cards. And dealers on Ebay knowingly selling these cards and working with one or more people that are trimming cards. There are multiple topics on Net54 Vintage forum. People on the Blowout forums were the first to realize something was going on with trimming cards and put the information out for all to see with proof of trimmed cards. The FBI has taken an interest in the issue. They were at the 2019 National speaking to dealers.

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=277456&highlight=pwcc+trimming

https://www.blowoutforums.com/search.php?searchid=38215203