Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can any of my baseball buddies recommend a BASKETBALL box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I know where this belongs, but all the kids over there pick on me and steal my lunch money.

Anywho, with this Shelter in Place thing, I’d like to send my friend’s younger son (who recently discovered a crazy passion for basketball) a box (or assortment of packs) of cards to open and sort while stuck at home.

Can anyone flashback to when we were 7 and recommend a box you would’ve loved to open then? Something shiny, cool, fun... with all the newer players and no concern about resale value? Bonus points if the classic players are included too.

...even more bonus points if you have a box of them you can ship out with some 9 pocket pages, or know somebody who can.

Thanks guys!

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
As far as current stuff goes, your best bet would be Hoops. You get a nice amount of cards and some shiny inserts. All hobby boxes this year are expensive though. I doubt there's anything under $100. Maybe try a box of Panini NBA Stickers instead if the kid is into that sort of thing. Should be way cheaper.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but I was DOWN with 1990-91 Skybox. The gold borders and those geometric multi-color background designs. The David Robinson was particularly badass. And they had MJ playing golf on the back of his card. Great set, and boxes are still not too spendy.

Edit: oh yeah - you're buying for a 7 year old. When I saw you asking what box I'd have loved to open when I was that age, I lost all consciousness thinking of 1990-91 Skybox. What you meant was what would I want to open if I was 7 years old right now. Answer...I have no idea!

But I'm still going with that set. I'll bet the 7 year old in question would dig these cards even today...especially when you regale him of tales of the classic players...like Alex English :)

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Due to Zion and Ja mania, Hoops is really the only “cheap” product from this year available but even that is usually double the normal retail price...

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
check out if LCS has contest on cards opened in store ------------ Some have a list of players pulled = enter on a special contest with different prizes . LCS have special silver packs = i've hit some nice cards

Members online