User Tag List

Thread: Putting together a card database for myself - need your input

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting together a card database for myself - need your input

Right now, I have one Excel sheet for every set I collect. They're not easy to search, unless I'm in front of a computer. And even then, searching takes time. I'm putting together one database, for all of the sets I collect. This will have entries for cards I have, and cards I do not, since I'll need them eventually.

I would like FCB's input on what data should be recorded about each card. I'm trying to avoid a generic "notes" field, because that would be unstructured and muddy the search results. Below are the properties I have so far. What else would you add?

PlayerName
    AcqCost (Acquisition cost)
    AcqFrom (Acquired from - eBay, COMC, etc.)
    Brand (Topps, Upper Deck)
    CardNum (Numeric or letters, doesn't matter)
    EstPrice (Estimated price I could sell it for)
    InInventory (true/false)
    InTransit (true/false - I don't count it as being in my inventory until I take possession)
    Qty
    Set
    Subset
    Year
    Authenticator
    Grade
    Redemption (true or false)
    QtyMade (what's it short printed or numbered to)
    ItemID (this will be my own creation to uniquely identify each card)
    Last edited by linuxabuser; 03-24-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    Scanned cards: https://goo.gl/9QaZll Updated 2/28/2020

2011 Topps Heritage Tints Red - 79/87/Blue - 70/87/Green - 82/87

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameos (Other identifiable players pictured on card)
    ConditionNotes

Instead of EstPrice, I've been putting in my spreadsheet a "Bottom End" price. I'm beginning to think about what my kids need to know about my collection should I die. This price reflects a "don't sell this card under this price or you're getting ripped off" price - and its much less than book value. It's a price almost any dealer would jump at. But it is meant to give my inheritors a price they know they shouldn't sell the card under. Most important for the higher end cards in your collection. But you could always use your EstPrice and say don't sell for less than XX% of this price.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxabuser View Post
    Right now, I have one Excel sheet for every set I collect. They're not easy to search, unless I'm in front of a computer. And even then, searching takes time. I'm putting together one database, for all of the sets I collect. This will have entries for cards I have, and cards I do not, since I'll need them eventually.

I would like FCB's input on what data should be recorded about each card. I'm trying to avoid a generic "notes" field, because that would be unstructured and muddy the search results. Below are the properties I have so far. What else would you add?

PlayerName
    InInventory (true/false)
    InTransit (true/false - I don't count it as being in my inventory until I take possession)
    Qty
    Set
    Subset
    Year
    Authenticator
    Grade

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Google Forms to make my database. Easier to click tick/drop down boxes vs entering info into excel. Google Forms will export your choices to a spreadsheet form. I didnt put in anything about how acquired or value. I did have how I have them stored; 1-touch, top loader, binder and where they're located; JB Box 1 or Drawer R2 D1 (Row 2, drawer 1).

I made a quick video over a year ago about how I use it.

It works for me and hopefully may work for someone else.

Fordman

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fordman View Post
    I made a quick video over a year ago about how I use it.
    Good thing you didn't have any risque adult sites in your bookmarks or open browser tabs!

I use Google Sheets and have a workbook for my player collection, complete/working sets, cards for sale/trade, and baseball memorabilia.

- The "player collection" workbook is tabbed by year with each sheet containing Year, Card No., Set Name, Info/Notes/Paid, SN/Print Run, In PC (1 or blank), Backup PC (1 or blank), and Extras (or sale/trade). Any storage location other than the super shoebox is entered as a note in the appropriate cell under PC, Backup, or Extras. Each sheet sums the 3 columns and a Totals tab adds up each year's numbers to tabulate the total number of PC, Backup, and Extra cards that I have, respectively. This sheet also serves as a checklist for what I don't have. I like the idea of a "don't sell for less than this" column for the very reason Gracecollector said.

- My "sets" sheet is simpler; sorted into tabs by sets I'm working on or have finished, with a checklist and separate column showing the card numbers I'm missing (for quick reference). Then I have a cover tab where I list the year, set (w/ factory or hand collated), # of cards in hand, # of cards in set, % complete, and number of complete sets.

- "Baseball Memorabilia" is just a free-for-all. Haha!!!!

It seems overwhelming when setting up each workbook and the outside world may think you're crazy, but once it's set, it's very easy to navigate and track your collection. Have fun!
    Last edited by Letch77; 03-24-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    Buying '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars. Let's see what ya got!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be a tall task to keep up on prices of what every card you have would sell for. If it's a vintage card, those are pretty set in price, but for modern, they fluctuate so much, you'd constantly be updating that field. Maybe just have a field marked by an * or X, on the ones that are more valuable so that whoever is selling your collection, would know "hey, this is a valuable card and I shouldn't sell if for $1."

Super Moderator metallicalex777's Avatar
     metallicaalex777
     metallicalex777
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxabuser View Post

PlayerName
    InInventory (true/false)
    Qty
    Set
    Subset
    Year
    Authenticator
    Grade
    Since you are already manually staging up your database with what looks like fixed to your custom itemID, I would add the following:
    AcqType (Purchase, Trade, Gift, Other (inheritance/found on road/etc))
    CardType (Certified Autograph, Relic, Certified Autograph w/ Relic, No Autograph/Relic, IP Autograph)

If you want to get tedious, maybe add these:
    DieCut (true/false)
    Layout (Horizontal, Vertical)
    King Felix Hernandez Collector!!!

My Felix Hernandez PC:
    Alex Alex's (metallicalex777) PC - Felix Hernandez Album

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooo very nice ideas! Thanks everyone. It may be a bit until I'm finished, but I'll share the final site here once it's done.
    Scanned cards: https://goo.gl/9QaZll Updated 2/28/2020

2011 Topps Heritage Tints Red - 79/87/Blue - 70/87/Green - 82/87

Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serial Numbered to? Border colors, etc... i distinguish whether Jersey or Patch also...