Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Josh Hamilton as a long term investment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I recently picked up a few graded Josh Hamilton early year cards including his 1999 Topps Traded auto fairly cheap and was wondering what people on here think about his cards as a long term investment. He did have some big years and has a good "feel good" story though he did get arrested recently. Do you think his cards have a chance to move up in value long term or would you consider him to be a waste of money? I only spent about $75 for the 3 cards I bought.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If you like him go ahead and stock pile but I'm not sure what could happen down the road to make the value go up. Pretty sure he's hit his last home run and he's not a hall of famer so there isn't much to make people pick their heads up and say "I gotta get Josh Hamilton's!!"
For sure there's a nice story in there under a few layers and he did have some monster years but nothing to move the needle.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Oh, the other thing I remember about him is he accidentally underthrew a ball to some guy in the bleachers. . . he leaned for it and died. Not Josh's fault but I bet he still thinks about that years later.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hate to say it, because I like the guy, and he had some pretty awesome moments as a player. But investment potential with his cards is basically zero.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Jesus. Did that really happen? I have no memory of this!

Oh, the other thing I remember about him is he accidentally underthrew a ball to some guy in the bleachers. . . he leaned for it and died. Not Josh's fault but I bet he still thinks about that years later.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Jesus. Did that really happen? I have no memory of this!

Yeah it was real and his kid was right next to him :( if you want to see just search "Josh Hamilton Shannon Stone" (I wont post it here as its graphic.)

I will leave off on a more upbeat note:

tumblr_o06vhuotH41umdmzqo1_500.jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Whatever Josh Hamilton cards are selling for is probably what ever the seller has investing in him and trying to recoup that. He's a guy that was liked and heavily invested in up to around 2013 and after that, he fell off the radar.

If you like the guy, go ahead and buy 'em up. If you're looking at ROI, be prepared to take a loss.

Fordman

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015

Yep super sad story and tough on someone who is already struggling with his own demons. Apparently his ex-wife is on some reality show now. My wife asked me if I knows who he was and that was the first memory that came to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Hamilton's book "Beyond Belief" is a great book. I don't read books often but I couldn't put that one down once I started reading.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO

For me personally this was the Greatest HR Derby display I've ever seen by far.

Unfortunately his latest incident with 1 of his daughters I think outweighs his previous 3 relapses put together. I have a couple of cousins and a brother who've struggled with addiction all of their lives and still do. It really sucks. So I think many can sympathize with that aspect of his life but the accusations of violence against his kid is something that no one would ever be ok with.

So I agree with the others that there is no chance of a long-term gain here, but actually a continued decrease in value is most likely in my mind. I'm still rooting for the guy to put his life together as I like him a lot but, I really don't know if he'll ever get to that point. And as much as I hate to say it, it wouldn't surprise me if there ended up being something tragic happen down the road. Needless to say, I hope that I'm completely wrong about that.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
For me personally this was the Greatest HR Derby display I've ever seen by far.

Unfortunately his latest incident with 1 of his daughters I think outweighs his previous 3 relapses put together. I have a couple of cousins and a brother who've struggled with addiction all of their lives and still do. It really sucks. So I think many can sympathize with that aspect of his life but the accusations of violence against his kid is something that no one would ever be ok with.

So I agree with the others that there is no chance of a long-term gain here, but actually a continued decrease in value is most likely in my mind. I'm still rooting for the guy to put his life together as I like him a lot but, I really don't know if he'll ever get to that point. And as much as I hate to say it, it wouldn't surprise me if there ended up being something tragic happen down the road. Needless to say, I hope that I'm completely wrong about that.

funny thing about that derby, he didn't win. the rules back then were different.