Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Manny, Ortiz, Sheffield Hall of Fame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
500+ HR was always a lock for the HOF, but now we have some players that have passed that threshold, but aren't in.

555 - Manny Ramirez
541 - David Ortiz
509 - Gary Sheffield

Manny was definitely the best hitter of the three. Ortiz performed best in the post-season and had the best peak years, though I think Sheffield was an overall better hitter than Ortiz . Eventually, I think all three get in.

That will leave McGwire, Sosa and Palmeiro as the only members in the 500+ Club not in the Hall, assuming Pujols is inducted. (Side note, any chance Pujols gets to 700 HR, currently 656?)

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Not sure where you’re going with this, but I think we all know why they haven’t gotten in...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

It won't be much of a thread if everyone agrees they are all getting in. In the Fielder thread, someone had commented that Ortiz had a better chance than Fielder, that's what got me thinking about 500+ HR being a lock and the status of these three.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Honestly, I think all of them will get in eventually. And by eventually I mean sometime between now and the end of time. It may not be for a long time, and some of them might not live to see it. But they were all too good at baseball to be left out forever. Also you forgot A-Roid. He'll get in too.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Honestly, I think all of them will get in eventually. And by eventually I mean sometime between now and the end of time. It may not be for a long time, and some of them might not live to see it. But they were all too good at baseball to be left out forever. Also you forgot A-Roid. He'll get in too.

Yeah, if we are letting in roiders it would make sense to do the elite one first... Aroid, Barry Bonds, Roger Clams, etc etc.

For those who forget Sheffield was involved in BALCO, Manny and Big Roidi were on the Mitchell Report.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah, if we are letting in roiders it would make sense to do the elite one first... Aroid, Barry Bonds, Roger Clams, etc etc.

For those who forget Sheffield was involved in BALCO, Manny and Big Roidi were on the Mitchell Report.

Neither Manny Ramirez nor David Ortiz were listed in the Mitchell Report. Sheffield was due to his connections with BALCO. Ramirez of course failed testing after testing was put in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_named_in_the_Mitchell_Report

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Forget the Mitchell report...Manny tested positive twice...screw him. Sheffield, I could be wrong, admitted to using "the clear" and "the cream" from BALCO.
Perhaps I'm holding onto a grudge that isn't worth holding but I'm not ready to vote guys into the hall of fame that have tested positive or who admitted using it.
Ortiz to me is different, it was only suspicion, to me that's not enough to keep him out of the hall of fame. Having said that and being a loyal Red Sox fan my whole life I still wouldn't vote for him. I have a severe disdain for the DH. Maybe it's not his fault, it is a position and he didn't write the line up but he was made into a one dimensional player. He is certainly tied to some amazing moments and was tremendous at times but I have a hard time saying someone who so rarely put on a fielder's glove can be one of the best ever.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Forget the Mitchell report...Manny tested positive twice...screw him. Sheffield, I could be wrong, admitted to using "the clear" and "the cream" from BALCO.
Perhaps I'm holding onto a grudge that isn't worth holding but I'm not ready to vote guys into the hall of fame that have tested positive or who admitted using it.
Ortiz to me is different, it was only suspicion, to me that's not enough to keep him out of the hall of fame. Having said that and being a loyal Red Sox fan my whole life I still wouldn't vote for him. I have a severe disdain for the DH. Maybe it's not his fault, it is a position and he didn't write the line up but he was made into a one dimensional player. He is certainly tied to some amazing moments and was tremendous at times but I have a hard time saying someone who so rarely put on a fielder's glove can be one of the best ever.

pretty sure Ortiz had a failed test. but he will likely get in just because people don't care with him for some reason.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Neither Manny Ramirez nor David Ortiz were listed in the Mitchell Report. Sheffield was due to his connections with BALCO. Ramirez of course failed testing after testing was put in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_named_in_the_Mitchell_Report

Yeah, its getting confusing who was on the original list, because it seems there are conflicting lists and someone is changing things around. . . .:confused: Bleacherreport's list seems to have some wrong names, or they are referring to something else entirely.

There is something Ortiz was popped for because there's a trail or stories about him trying to defend being on a list. . .

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...ked-because-too-many-yankees-tested-positive/

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2016/09/red_sox_david_ortiz_opens_up_about_2003_positive_p.html

I guess he could be referring to a non Mitchell Report list from 03 but I don't recall any other lists back then. :confused:

As for Ramirez I remember the time he was popped for Estrogen, that was amazing. :lol:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Ortiz was never suspended. I don't remember if he was on the Mitchell report or not. I think it was the NY Times that leaked his name, I believe that is what he has been defending himself against.
Either way, he's a no go for me. Still a great sports figure in Boston though. His speech after the Boston Marathon bombing still gives me chills.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I think Manny should get in just because of that Pacific corked bat card :)

Or what about the Pinnacle Inside Can of him fielding and looking confused? When I bought was it was at random and I was glad to get his... good memories of him cutting off the cutoff man Damn. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts