Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Defunct Websites - Leads on a new location or are they just gone now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had been in the process of updating my favorites from safari to chrome and finally had time to finish today. I found a couple sites I had bookmarked were no longer active. I was wondering if anyone is part of or knew what became of the sites. is there a new domain for example?

Mark Brunell Collection - Jaderock is the user name on most sites. It was a freeweb site that doesn't load any longer.

Twinscards.com - This one had an amazing collection of Twins memorabilia that you could peruse, but also had started a similar site for the rest of the teams. Most were a shadow of the Twins with regard to content. It was a handful of guys doing most of the sharing. I just get that the domain is for sale now.

This one I deleted before noting the original site, but it was a nice collection of St. Loius Cardinals team issued postcards, identifying years and such. I like to mark sites like this for future reference, even though I don't collect Cardinal PCs per se. Would have loved to stumble across a Dodgers saet with as much knowledge as this one had.

Last one may just be temp issue. I can't get it to load now. www.haulsofshame.com

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I had been in the process of updating my favorites from safari to chrome and finally had time to finish today. I found a couple sites I had bookmarked were no longer active. I was wondering if anyone is part of or knew what became of the sites. is there a new domain for example?

Mark Brunell Collection - Jaderock is the user name on most sites. It was a freeweb site that doesn't load any longer.

Twinscards.com - This one had an amazing collection of Twins memorabilia that you could peruse, but also had started a similar site for the rest of the teams. Most were a shadow of the Twins with regard to content. It was a handful of guys doing most of the sharing. I just get that the domain is for sale now.

This one I deleted before noting the original site, but it was a nice collection of St. Loius Cardinals team issued postcards, identifying years and such. I like to mark sites like this for future reference, even though I don't collect Cardinal PCs per se. Would have loved to stumble across a Dodgers saet with as much knowledge as this one had.

Last one may just be temp issue. I can't get it to load now. www.haulsofshame.com

I'm been noticing dead collectors sites too. I wonder if it's just no longer worth the expense? I finally bit the bullet and paid for the Pro account on Flikr ($120 for two years), because they had a limit of 1000 free images. I had over 10,000 and they started deactivating some of the embedded images on my site.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Or not. :(

I was able to access it by searching for it on Bing.com

The HTTPS is the problem. That site only allows plain HTTP connections.

Code:
haulsofshame.com/haul.html

For some reason, the vBulletin software on FCB rewrites every link as HTTPS, even if it isn’t supposed to be.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thank you for that Twins link. At least that is full content at that time. I have a link to a great Frank Thomas site that was stopped, through that wayback machine deal. Maybe the guys just gave up the effort, but it seems unlikely after that much work. Perhaps it was a cost issue. Hopefully it was not a health issue. Too bad, lots of great images.

And for the Hauls link too! Nice, 2 down, 2 to find.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I have a link to a great Frank Thomas site that was stopped, through that wayback machine deal. Maybe the guys just gave up the effort, but it seems unlikely after that much work. Perhaps it was a cost issue. Hopefully it was not a health issue. Too bad, lots of great images.

Which Frank site?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It was run by a guy named Lance who lived in Hawaii.

I discovered him after I stopped actively collecting Frank. In fact, I sold him a couple cards when money was a little tight. They meant so much more to him, but I still have a slight tinge of regret for doing it, especially since I worked through the $ issues with that really being my only sale. The sight was loaded with great detailed info and tons of scans. If it wasn't for the growing popularity again in 90s inserts, I would have probably gone back and filled in some pre-2000 holes. I did so from time to time, when the market was a little softer, but now it has come back stronger than before with no end in sight.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110208130719/http://www.frankthomascollection.com/

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
That site is great! So much info about the early cards.
I actively PC Thomas, so it's fun to read some things I didn't know about these cards. I'm pursuing some extremely high-end Thomas cards from the early- to mid-90s, too bad I didn't get up with you when you stopped collecting Thomas.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
It was run by a guy named Lance who lived in Hawaii.

I discovered him after I stopped actively collecting Frank. In fact, I sold him a couple cards when money was a little tight. They meant so much more to him, but I still have a slight tinge of regret for doing it, especially since I worked through the $ issues with that really being my only sale. The sight was loaded with great detailed info and tons of scans. If it wasn't for the growing popularity again in 90s inserts, I would have probably gone back and filled in some pre-2000 holes. I did so from time to time, when the market was a little softer, but now it has come back stronger than before with no end in sight.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110208130719/https://www.frankthomascollection.com/

There is a member on here HawaiianLance. Sounds like he may be the the guy you're talking about. He hasn't posted anything since January 2019.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, not sure if those players collectors just couldn't maintain their sites, moved them or just gave up. I use most of these sites as reference (or enjoyment) in one way or another, so it is not as though I am needing to contact them. It's just a shame when a nice, detailed site disappears w/o a trace.

Members online

Latest posts