Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Willie Mays Halloween Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Years ago I recalled reading a small bit in Beckett about Donruss announcing they were making a special card for Willie Mays. I believe it was meant to be handed out at Halloween and seem to recall talk of this being limited to 500 copies. I don't recall if this was a one time thing or if there was a short history of it happening year after year. I wanted one, of course, so I kept my eye peeled for a bit but eventually forgot about it after finding zero evidence that they existed. I have looked online for evidence of this card a few times over the years, but had never found anything more and then started to doubt myself that I was not making this up in my head.

I tried again today and finally had some success. There was in fact a Donruss Playoff card made. It is pretty boring looking, but still would be neat to have given the supposed distribution. Who knows if Mays actually gave them out at Halloween or at all or how kids would even have access to him on halloween. Guessing he probably lived/lives in a gated or secured residence, but that is sheer speculation based on his fame and fortune only.

Someone had posted a blog entry and it had this image. Not a complete scan of the entire card unfortunately, but shows front and back I think. Maybe that is all the front? Does not appear to be serial numbered, assuming that scan is a partial front and back. The blog goes on to ask if this was possible that Mays handed those out after meeting someone who had one and claimed they did get it from Willie, which the back also proclaims.

Has anyone actually seen one or even better, have one? How about the Beckett article? Looks like this was 2008 (My guess is that WMH-08 would stand for Willie Mays Halloween 2008 if I am correct), so that helps me pinpoint the Beckett article to sometime before Halloween in 2008.

screenshot-2019-04-18-at-5.41.06-am.png

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Here’s the back of a 2008 Donruss Americana “Celebrity Cuts” card on COMC. Very similar and almost certainly confirms it had to have been from 2008 and also the pic you posted has to be just the card back. I thought the sliver of a logo you can see in the lower right on your pic looked like an Americana logo
IMG_1759.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Excellent, love it when you can add to the knowledge base in short notice. Thank you for the added information.

Seems this was a run of at least 2 years, likely 07 was issued in between too. I will start looking for them more often now and see just how rare they are. $26 is a decent price for a card that is not serial numbered from an issue like that, so they are not easy to get it would seem.

dragonboy2k

Dec 31, 2020
Years ago I recalled reading a small bit in Beckett about Donruss announcing they were making a special card for Willie Mays. I believe it was meant to be handed out at Halloween and seem to recall talk of this being limited to 500 copies. I don't recall if this was a one time thing or if there was a short history of it happening year after year. I wanted one, of course, so I kept my eye peeled for a bit but eventually forgot about it after finding zero evidence that they existed. I have looked online for evidence of this card a few times over the years, but had never found anything more and then started to doubt myself that I was not making this up in my head.

I tried again today and finally had some success. There was in fact a Donruss Playoff card made. It is pretty boring looking, but still would be neat to have given the supposed distribution. Who knows if Mays actually gave them out at Halloween or at all or how kids would even have access to him on halloween. Guessing he probably lived/lives in a gated or secured residence, but that is sheer speculation based on his fame and fortune only.

Someone had posted a blog entry and it had this image. Not a complete scan of the entire card unfortunately, but shows front and back I think. Maybe that is all the front? Does not appear to be serial numbered, assuming that scan is a partial front and back. The blog goes on to ask if this was possible that Mays handed those out after meeting someone who had one and claimed they did get it from Willie, which the back also proclaims.

Has anyone actually seen one or even better, have one? How about the Beckett article? Looks like this was 2008 (My guess is that WMH-08 would stand for Willie Mays Halloween 2008 if I am correct), so that helps me pinpoint the Beckett article to sometime before Halloween in 2008.

View attachment 98298
Hello I ran across this post as I was trying to find more information about the card. I actually have the card as I got from trick or treating at Willie May's house when I was a kid. I was trying to sell it but I have no clue what it is worth.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Hello I ran across this post as I was trying to find more information about the card. I actually have the card as I got from trick or treating at Willie May's house when I was a kid. I was trying to sell it but I have no clue what it is worth.
Is yours like one of the two pictured? If not, would love to see a scan of a 3rd different one.

Apparently there were different cards issued a few different years. Your best bet is to photograph it, describe it well and see what happens on ebay. We see one sold for around $25, which is not bad if there were 500 given out each year, but then again how many got destroyed by kids who didn't care about a baseball card and just wanted a piece of candy.

I'd pay $25 for one.

dragonboy2k

Dec 31, 2020
Is yours like one of the two pictured? If not, would love to see a scan of a 3rd different one.

Apparently there were different cards issued a few different years. Your best bet is to photograph it, describe it well and see what happens on ebay. We see one sold for around $25, which is not bad if there were 500 given out each year, but then again how many got destroyed by kids who didn't care about a baseball card and just wanted a piece of candy.

I'd pay $25 for one.
It is the orange one.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, they are both orange, and if any other years exist, going to go out on a limb and guess those are probably orange too. it is a Halloween card, after all. Do you mean the first one shown, that I referenced in the original post?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
“To this day, Halloween is his favorite holiday, which really isn’t a holiday,’’ Shea said. “He’s got a line several hundred people deep outside his house and he just loves it. He has lived in the same house since 1970, and parents bring their kids and wait in line early on Oct. 31 to meet the great Mays. And he meets everybody in line. "

1610486698321.png
1610486728324.png

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Wonder if he is still greeting kids at Halloween? I think I saw where his was now the oldest living Hall Of Famer, after Lasorda just died. He'll be 90 in a few months!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts