Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Finally got my 1997 Bowman's Best Jumbos. Both for around $26 delivered
calripkenjrcollector-albums-jumbo-picture17936-1997-bowmans-best-jumbo-refractor.jpg

calripkenjrcollector-albums-jumbo-picture17935-1997-bowmans-best-jumbo-atomic.jpg

The hunt continues for the regular jumbo.....

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
Any of you guys have any info on this? Picked it up at an antique mall today. I like how it says he does not have hypertension and does not take Prinivil. It is a Sportflics type card and I cannot see the pack because it is still in the original package with the drug information papers covering up the back.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Any of you guys have any info on this? Picked it up at an antique mall today. I like how it says he does not have hypertension and does not take Prinivil. It is a Sportflics type card and I cannot see the pack because it is still in the original package with the drug information papers covering up the back.

I've got a few different Prinivil items from when Cal was a spokesperson for them, but don't have the particular card you do. Here's one that I already had scanned in:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
It's official: Cal's Charlotte minor league issues are going nuts.

Wow, I've been collecting video games more than Ripken over the last 2 years (VG sales have been NUTS as well, stuff doubling / tripling by the month), and just saw the last 3 Blue WBTV sales of $2.5k, $3.5k and $4.5k!? (Though 4.5k did come with the entire set). All appear to be PSA 6s too.

My blue border is a PSA 5, what's an estimate on that... maybe $1.5k-$2k now? And god only know what the PSA 8 is worth... is 8 still the highest confirmed in pop?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
There are 12 PSA 8 copies of Cal's 1980 blue bordered WBTV according to the population report. 8 is the highest grade. I really have no explanation for what is happening. A 1980 Police card with 17 Police singles just sold for $6,500. Cal's minor league cards are on fire.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Don't suppose anyone in this thread has some doubles they'd like to move? I'm collecting mostly PSA 10 stuff from the 80s/90s and cool parallels / inserts. Not really interested in the modern relics / signatures and stuff like that. Definitely interested in 90s inserts, graded Mint and serial numbered stuff.

Should have a nice addition to the thread in a few days... I'm sure most people have one but it's definitely one of his most iconic cards IMO.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Unfortunately those aren't negatives...those are just black and white photos that have had their colors inverted and printed on plastic...example...

this becomes....that

Blue Ripken front-small.jpg
rtrtrtrtrtrtrt.png

joeya2001

Oct 4, 2012
Unfortunately those aren't negatives...those are just black and white photos that have had their colors inverted and printed on plastic...example...

this becomes....that

rtrtrtrtrtrtrt.png

You think he got fakes?

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RITM

Aug 25, 2008

this becomes....that

rtrtrtrtrtrtrt.png

I agree with this. Going a step further, the Mike Aronstein (Co-Creator of TCMA) told me that he lost track of the negative for the 1981 TCMA and the printing company burned down years ago.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
All these cards are all MINI's. 1/4 or so the size of a regular card. Seller claims they were used to print on some magazine way back when. The darker ones are like film negatives. I just don't know anything about them and I've never seen them before... This seller have a lot of players listed.
Here's a link on one of them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141007982350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

His description, word for word
"This is a newspaper black and white printing plate and matching negative. These may be off cut, not square on corners, rough edges, etc. Please see scan for exactly what you are getting. These plates and negatives are a smaller size (approximately 1.5 x 2.1 inches) and are black and white. Used for some kind of advertising or collecting articles in newspapers. This item has no actual value and is just a collectable piece for that player, team, or just baseball collector. I have a few different players and only a couple sets of each available, so contact me if you have any specific wants. Please, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Shipping is free and I ship to the lower 48 states only. Please ask questions if you have any."

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
All these cards are all MINI's. 1/4 or so the size of a regular card. Seller claims they were used to print on some magazine way back when. The darker ones are like film negatives. I just don't know anything about them and I've never seen them before... This seller have a lot of players listed.
Here's a link on one of them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141007982350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

His description, word for word
"This is a newspaper black and white printing plate and matching negative. These may be off cut, not square on corners, rough edges, etc. Please see scan for exactly what you are getting. These plates and negatives are a smaller size (approximately 1.5 x 2.1 inches) and are black and white. Used for some kind of advertising or collecting articles in newspapers. This item has no actual value and is just a collectable piece for that player, team, or just baseball collector. I have a few different players and only a couple sets of each available, so contact me if you have any specific wants. Please, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Shipping is free and I ship to the lower 48 states only. Please ask questions if you have any."

Although I don't think they were manufacture related, I think for the price they are neat items that can be nice additions for a collector like yourself

Ryan

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009

this becomes....that

rtrtrtrtrtrtrt.png

If you did this ^^^ yourself, you did a better job. All the negative film I received are way darker especially on the borders than this. I was thinking for $7.50 (or so) each, I'll give it a try. He have all listed at $20 with best offer and I offered $15 per set. So far, it looks like he only have one of everything except for the Griffey (1989 UD) rookie which looks like he have TWO...

Last edited:

Members online