Thread: Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Well I did a search for a Ripken thread in here but couldn't find one... so I figured I'd start one. Was hoping to have something in the mail today, but it didn't arrive... so I will post this:

jonebone7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So who picked up the Orange WBTV? I saw it live and put in a small offer but I'm just not as passionate about cards as I once was. Based on speculation and rarity, I'd say someone got a nice deal with the other cards included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130680929152...84.m1438.l2649

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    So who picked up the Orange WBTV? I saw it live and put in a small offer but I'm just not as passionate about cards as I once was. Based on speculation and rarity, I'd say someone got a nice deal with the other cards included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130680929152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649
    That was a hell of an auction... I wish I would have had the money to bid on it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time I saw the listing it was gone. $4K is a steal if the deal goes through.
    Last edited by RITM; 04-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I was the buyer of the huge Ripken minor league lot that included both the Blue and Orange 1980 Charlotte cards. I'm sorry to say there are some really sorry people in this country of ours. At this point it's needless to say the deal did not go through. I bought the cards on a Sunday morning. I get an email from the seller later Sunday asking for me to cancel the transaction and call him. I transferred $ from one account to another Monday morning. I called the seller Monday afternoon and he said he was very upset he sold the cards and wished he had never listed them. He thought he could use the money to buy nice things for his daughters, blah, blah, blah but soon realized money wasn't important to him. He loved his Ripken collection and regretted his decision. He asked if I would cancel the deal but would honor the sale if I decided to go through with it. We talked for about 20 minutes and I ended the conversation by letting him know I would think about his request but was strongly leaning towards the purchase. Once again, he said please think about it but I understand if you do decide to buy them. I sent him an email Tuesday morning letting him know I decided to purchase the cards and minutes later paid for the cards. A couple of days later he refunded my money and will not respond to calls or emails.

I could have paraphrased all of this by saying someone contacted the seller and offered him more money. He then accepted.
    I NEED 1990s INSERTS AND PARALLELS OF A-ROD. THANKS
    My 1997 A-Rod most wanted
    1997 Donruss Preferred Staremasters Sample #1
    1997 Mariners Score Premier #3
    1997 Ultra Autographstix Emeralds #5

Any UNREDEEMED AUTO card from 1997

megaosfan08
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrandtw View Post

I could have paraphrased all of this by saying someone contacted the seller and offered him more money. He then accepted.
    That sucks. Sorry.

Assumption? Or do you know for sure?

Hope you drop him a negative.
    "You may never know the key to success; but the sure key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, not a Ripken collector at all, but happened to take a look at this thread and saw the comments on the Police Ripken cards. This is ironic I saw this because just days ago I was speaking with a friend who has been a longtime dealer and we were talking about a couple of our biggest blunders on passing on rare/unique sets and cards. He mentioned to be back in 1980/81 he was doing a show that was held outside of the Charlotte baseball stadium and they were selling these sets. He said that the person that was doing all of the Charlotte memorabilia for the game came to his booth at the show and offered him the remaining 200 sets they had left that didnt sell for $2/set but he passed and his friend ended up purchasing all of them. I know he mentioned the friend slowly sold a few but Im wondering if its the same Ripken/set that someone said is much harder to find than the Wagner T206...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ S. View Post
    That sucks. Sorry.

Assumption? Or do you know for sure?

Hope you drop him a negative.
    I'm assuming since all he talked about during our conversation was the Orange. I then offered to buy the Blue and all the blue and orange singles and he said no because everytime he would look at the Orange he would think about what cards he once had.

Translation: Someone made an offer to buy the whole lot.

Negative will be posted soon enough. I would like to speak with the guy before I do since I consider myself a decent guy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading about the 1982 Fleer Test card the other day and discovered Fleer only made 100 sheets of cards to sample the paper quality of the product. I then found a full, flat (not rolled up) uncut sheet of test cards that had 4 Ripkens on it. It has 2 Ripken versions and 2 Ripken/Ford versions. So let the experts speak, what do you guys think the sheet would fetch in auction?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle View Post
    Hey guys, not a Ripken collector at all, but happened to take a look at this thread and saw the comments on the Police Ripken cards. This is ironic I saw this because just days ago I was speaking with a friend who has been a longtime dealer and we were talking about a couple of our biggest blunders on passing on rare/unique sets and cards. He mentioned to be back in 1980/81 he was doing a show that was held outside of the Charlotte baseball stadium and they were selling these sets. He said that the person that was doing all of the Charlotte memorabilia for the game came to his booth at the show and offered him the remaining 200 sets they had left that didnt sell for $2/set but he passed and his friend ended up purchasing all of them. I know he mentioned the friend slowly sold a few but Im wondering if its the same Ripken/set that someone said is much harder to find than the Wagner T206...
    I don't think so. The Police set was never collated in sets. Putting 200 sets would be impossible. If that was the case an orange set would've surfaced by now. I do not know of more than 3 Police sets in existence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrandtw View Post
    I'm assuming since all he talked about during our conversation was the Orange. I then offered to buy the Blue and all the blue and orange singles and he said no because everytime he would look at the Orange he would think about what cards he once had.

Translation: Someone made an offer to buy the whole lot.

Negative will be posted soon enough. I would like to speak with the guy before I do since I consider myself a decent guy.
    I have not logged on in awhile. I have been wondering what happened with this. I am not saying it is ok but you had to expect someone to send the seller a note as there was easily $6k left on the table.

jonebone7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that blows about about the Orange Police card, sorry to hear that. I f'in hate collectors who don't play fair. I hope no one on these boards had the audacity to backdoor something.

Anyways, Ripken BGS 9.5 Red Crusade went up $3,275 BIN OBO today. No idea what it's worth but might be interesting if it sells:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

megaosfan08
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Wow that blows about about the Orange Police card, sorry to hear that. I f'in hate collectors who don't play fair. I hope no one on these boards had the audacity to backdoor something.

Anyways, Ripken BGS 9.5 Red Crusade went up $3,275 BIN OBO today. No idea what it's worth but might be interesting if it sells:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320899816516&ssPageNam e=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
    It's mine.
    It's the only BGS 9.5, so if you see it, it's mine. :0)

Already have an offer over $1K.

Posted up my Quantum Leaf & Stand Up Guys Sample as well.
    Will be listing more soon.
    "You may never know the key to success; but the sure key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you selling Russ?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ S. View Post
    It's mine.
    It's the only BGS 9.5, so if you see it, it's mine. :0)

Already have an offer over $1K.

Posted up my Quantum Leaf & Stand Up Guys Sample as well.
    Will be listing more soon.
    Taking notes from Clarkfan on that Quantum Leap I see!

Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast