Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrostyCollects

Sep 28, 2011
Michigan
Well, if you can get ahold of the winner (by looking through the seller's feedback page within the next couple days for his ID), you can message him and explain what's going on.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Yeah, I thought a real PSA8 was around $2k+, so a fake one at $1.6k seems like the smart people stayed out of it. Such a shame though.

Big thanks to RITM for the lengthy write-ups about spotting fakes. As a WBTV owner, I certainly appreciate more information getting into the hands of collectors.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
jonebone said:
Yeah, I thought a real PSA8 was around $2k+, so a fake one at $1.6k seems like the smart people stayed out of it. Such a shame though.

Big thanks to RITM for the lengthy write-ups about spotting fakes. As a WBTV owner, I certainly appreciate more information getting into the hands of collectors.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I just wish the site was fully functioning.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Liberate Baltimore said:
How much do you think an Orange Border would sell for in an auction environment? Hasn't been one for public sale since 2006.

Great question. I was told that a copy was for sale in Baltimore when they last hosted the National. It had a $10,000 price tag on it and I was told it went unsold. I would guess a copy would bring at least $4,000 and would not be surprised to see it pass $5,000. PSA has slabbed 10 copies of the card. The thing to take in consideration is that 5 of the 10 came from the same person in 2006. Without that incredible find in 2006 we are looking at 5 slabbed copies from PSA to this point.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
To put all of this in perspective there are more T206 Wagners known to exist than the Police Ripken.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Another Milestone on my "Get Every Beckett Recognize Ripken Item from the 1980's" Project. Two of these arrived today in the mail to join their brother. Nice to hack away at my checklist. :D

1986OConnellSonInk.jpg
1986OConnellSonInk1.jpg
1986OConnellSonInk2.jpg

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Worked on the website this afternoon. Fixed many of the broken image links. Feel free to LMK if any of the images do not work. Especially wanted to get the "Spotting Counterfeits" page back up.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
By the time I saw the listing it was gone. $4K is a steal if the deal goes through.

Last edited:

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
So I was the buyer of the huge Ripken minor league lot that included both the Blue and Orange 1980 Charlotte cards. I'm sorry to say there are some really sorry people in this country of ours. At this point it's needless to say the deal did not go through. I bought the cards on a Sunday morning. I get an email from the seller later Sunday asking for me to cancel the transaction and call him. I transferred $ from one account to another Monday morning. I called the seller Monday afternoon and he said he was very upset he sold the cards and wished he had never listed them. He thought he could use the money to buy nice things for his daughters, blah, blah, blah but soon realized money wasn't important to him. He loved his Ripken collection and regretted his decision. He asked if I would cancel the deal but would honor the sale if I decided to go through with it. We talked for about 20 minutes and I ended the conversation by letting him know I would think about his request but was strongly leaning towards the purchase. Once again, he said please think about it but I understand if you do decide to buy them. I sent him an email Tuesday morning letting him know I decided to purchase the cards and minutes later paid for the cards. A couple of days later he refunded my money and will not respond to calls or emails.

I could have paraphrased all of this by saying someone contacted the seller and offered him more money. He then accepted.

charliehustle

Feb 5, 2010
USA
Hey guys, not a Ripken collector at all, but happened to take a look at this thread and saw the comments on the Police Ripken cards. This is ironic I saw this because just days ago I was speaking with a friend who has been a longtime dealer and we were talking about a couple of our biggest blunders on passing on rare/unique sets and cards. He mentioned to be back in 1980/81 he was doing a show that was held outside of the Charlotte baseball stadium and they were selling these sets. He said that the person that was doing all of the Charlotte memorabilia for the game came to his booth at the show and offered him the remaining 200 sets they had left that didnt sell for $2/set but he passed and his friend ended up purchasing all of them. I know he mentioned the friend slowly sold a few but Im wondering if its the same Ripken/set that someone said is much harder to find than the Wagner T206...

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
That sucks. Sorry.

Assumption? Or do you know for sure?

Hope you drop him a negative.

I'm assuming since all he talked about during our conversation was the Orange. I then offered to buy the Blue and all the blue and orange singles and he said no because everytime he would look at the Orange he would think about what cards he once had.

Translation: Someone made an offer to buy the whole lot.

Negative will be posted soon enough. I would like to speak with the guy before I do since I consider myself a decent guy.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I was reading about the 1982 Fleer Test card the other day and discovered Fleer only made 100 sheets of cards to sample the paper quality of the product. I then found a full, flat (not rolled up) uncut sheet of test cards that had 4 Ripkens on it. It has 2 Ripken versions and 2 Ripken/Ford versions. So let the experts speak, what do you guys think the sheet would fetch in auction?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Hey guys, not a Ripken collector at all, but happened to take a look at this thread and saw the comments on the Police Ripken cards. This is ironic I saw this because just days ago I was speaking with a friend who has been a longtime dealer and we were talking about a couple of our biggest blunders on passing on rare/unique sets and cards. He mentioned to be back in 1980/81 he was doing a show that was held outside of the Charlotte baseball stadium and they were selling these sets. He said that the person that was doing all of the Charlotte memorabilia for the game came to his booth at the show and offered him the remaining 200 sets they had left that didnt sell for $2/set but he passed and his friend ended up purchasing all of them. I know he mentioned the friend slowly sold a few but Im wondering if its the same Ripken/set that someone said is much harder to find than the Wagner T206...

I don't think so. The Police set was never collated in sets. Putting 200 sets would be impossible. If that was the case an orange set would've surfaced by now. I do not know of more than 3 Police sets in existence.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I'm assuming since all he talked about during our conversation was the Orange. I then offered to buy the Blue and all the blue and orange singles and he said no because everytime he would look at the Orange he would think about what cards he once had.

Translation: Someone made an offer to buy the whole lot.

Negative will be posted soon enough. I would like to speak with the guy before I do since I consider myself a decent guy.

I have not logged on in awhile. I have been wondering what happened with this. I am not saying it is ok but you had to expect someone to send the seller a note as there was easily $6k left on the table.

Members online

Latest posts