Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions on this card - 1993 Select Dufex Blank Back/Proof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
93selectprooff.jpg
93selectproofb.jpg

Obtained this card recently thinking it may be one of the 1993 Select Dufex Proofs/Promos. I contacted SGC about getting the label to show it as Proof/Promo instead of Blank backed and they say the flip should stand. Anyone have any thoughts on this card? Is it a Proof, or is it just a Select Stars that happens to have a blank back?

The SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards lists these as "1993 Select Dufex Proofs", and includes the description "To test the Dufex textured foil printing technology which was used on its Stars, Rookies, and Triple Crown insert sets, Select produced a very limited number of blank back proof cards." Beckett lists them on their site as "1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos". Does anyone have the big Beckett book for a more detailed description?

Also, sorry for those that read this and the CU forums as I posted it there too. Just trying to get a few opinions.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
I can see where you're getting at - marking it 'Blank Back' suggests an oops or error during the printing phase. But labeling it Promo or Sample suggests intention on the part of Score. And I can recall seeing those when they were released to dealers as *samples* of the upcoming Dufex process.

The Standard Catalog is correct. Clearly it should be relabeled. That said, if SGC has given you their second-opinion, then you're more or less put into a corner with no exits short of cracking it open and resubmitting to PSA or even SGC noting it on your submission form, unlikely - but it might work.

If its PC you'll get used to it. If it's FS/FT then quote The Standard Catalog and point out SGC's incorrect position on a relabel.

Note: My Almanac is out of date by a few years, but I believe Beckett does not acknowledge the blank-backs. When they refer to the Promo/Samples they're speaking of the fully completed cards with the "000" in the stat lines found on card backs. And IIRC (might be mistaken) none of those are of the dufex variety.

Not surprisingly Beckett and The Standard Catalog don't match up on a card-by-card or issue-by-issue listing.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Thanks for the input Lance, that makes me feel a little better about the card. I gave Brian at SGC the info that the SCD Catalog had on the card so he is checking with the graders again. I must say, he's pretty darn helpful! And this would be for my PC, but I'd still like to have a correct label on it, if it is in fact a proof/promo.

On a side note, I love your Frank Thomas site! I've added quite a few Ripken's to my master list after viewing your site and seeing some of the weird stuff Thomas was in that Ripken happened to be in as well.

TheSportsCardFile

Feb 4, 2009
Fort Worth
It is not a promotional card. It was run as a "proof" for those at Pinnacle at the time to determine whether or not the substrate (dufex) was suitable for the set design. That is just my 2 cents. There was a different version that was given to particular dealers to show the "new" technology. I was not at Pinnacle at that time but have been told by someone who was that I trust about the different versions of these cards.

Steve

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
TheSportsCardFile said:
It is not a promotional card. It was run as a "proof" for those at Pinnacle at the time to determine whether or not the substrate (dufex) was suitable for the set design. That is just my 2 cents. There was a different version that was given to particular dealers to show the "new" technology. I was not at Pinnacle at that time but have been told by someone who was that I trust about the different versions of these cards.

Steve

So did this person have a better description of the promo cards?

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Those blank back proofs/promos are a pain in the butt to find. Congrats on getting it for your collection. I have only ever seen one Puckett so the search is still on for me.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Those blank back proofs/promos are a pain in the butt to find. Congrats on getting it for your collection. I have only ever seen one Puckett so the search is still on for me.

I'm in the same boat with the Sandberg.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I still have my Ripken Promo, but have never been successful in getting PSA or SGC to label it as a Promo rather thank blank back :mad: Doesn't bother me too much though, I know what it is and I enjoy having it in my collection!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I still have my Ripken Promo, but have never been successful in getting PSA or SGC to label it as a Promo rather thank blank back :mad: Doesn't bother me too much though, I know what it is and I enjoy having it in my collection!

I'm sure I'll Enjoy my Griffey as well :D

Tracking #:
9400109699938441XXXXX

Carrier:
USPS

Status

Out for Delivery

2013-03-14, 08:23:00, SAINT PAUL, MN 55128

Sorting Complete

2013-03-14, 08:13:00, SAINT PAUL, MN 55128

Note: Tracking information may be transmitted with a delay. Please check back later to view updated information.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts