User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should the NCAA CFB have a Playoff ?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES- I am for a Playoff System for College Football

13 76.47%
  • NO-I am against a Playoff System for College Football

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should there be a Playoff System For College Football

The One and Only Steelers Super Colector!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should there be a Playoff System For College Football

Again more debate about College Football not having a playoff System. I have been all in favored of a Playoff system. In my opinion, such a system is long over due. I am quite interested in hearing the opinion and thoughts of other CB fans.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Should there be a Playoff System For College Football

I agree wholeheartedly. I hate the BCS setup.

"I was told I would never make it because I'm too short. Well, I'm still too short, but I've got 10 All-Star games, two World Series championships, and I'm a very happy and contented guy. It doesn't matter what your height is, it's what's in your heart." - Kirby Puckett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far it appears all in favor of one
    I am just wondering where are all the College Football experts?

friarisms
     friarisms
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

College teams won't do it because there won't be a big payout for a BCS bowl game. Sure playing for a national title is intriguing but they lose out on $$$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seiya
    College teams won't do it because there won't be a big payout for a BCS bowl game. Sure playing for a national title is intriguing but they lose out on $$$.
    I would disagree. I am on the opinion more $$$ can be made by a playoff system in the end and still retain the Bowel games. The major argument against this is the Bowl games might be lost in a playoff system.

On a side note: I am disappointed that the so called College Football experts on this board have not added their thoughts to this discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather require the BCS conferences that don't have conference championship games to actually have them (Pac 10 and Big 10). I believe that it would take care of its self if that was the case. If a playoff is a must, go back to having just the four traditional BCS Bowls and use the new fifth BCS Championship game as a plus one.
    [center:2szqu9vb][/center:2szqu9vb]
    [center:2szqu9vb]My Mostly TTM and IP Blog[/center:2szqu9vb]
    [center:2szqu9vb]Atlanta Braves Autograph Collection[/center:2szqu9vb]

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO.

What makes college football the most exciting sports season of the year is because every game means something.

If you want to "fix" the BCS, then take #1-#12 and put them in BCS bowl games. Eliminate automatic bids certain conferences. No way Pittsburg and Maryland deserve to get in over one loss Alabama, Oklahoma, or Florida teams.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. BCS has been screwy at times but it aloows the matchups of those undefeated teams at the end of the season to play even though they normally would not have. Think UT/FSU, VT/FSU, OSU/Miami, OU/FSU, Texas/USC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    No. BCS has been screwy at times but it aloows the matchups of those undefeated teams at the end of the season to play even though they normally would not have. Think UT/FSU, VT/FSU, OSU/Miami, OU/FSU, Texas/USC

That is not completely true
    Several teams several have finished undefeated but sine they were not in a BCS Conference they would NEVERE get a shot at the title.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madman1978

Several teams several have finished undefeated but sine they were not in a BCS Conference they would NEVER get a shot at the title.

They'd lose in a real conference anyways, or if there was a playoff, they would lose. If you want to have a legit shot at the National Championship or a BCS bowl, join a BCS conference. Simple as that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several teams several have finished undefeated but sine they were not in a BCS Conference they would NEVER get a shot at the title.

They'd lose in a real conference anyways, or if there was a playoff, they would lose. If you want to have a legit shot at the National Championship or a BCS bowl, join a BCS conference. Simple as that
    That is not the Simple answer an you know that.
    If they were to lose then let them lose on a level playing field
    BCS equals one thing $$$$$$! and most of that money does not go back into the programs or the college. BCS is flawed and we all know this. Having a 8 team playoff would be the BEST thing for College Football overall. Which would mean most of the teams NOT in BCS conference wouldnt make the cut.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is not the Simple answer an you know that.
    If they were to lose then let them lose on a level playing field
    BCS equals one thing $$$$$$! and most of that money does not go back into the programs or the college. BCS is flawed and we all know this. Having a 8 team playoff would be the BEST thing for College Football overall. Which would mean most of the teams NOT in BCS conference wouldnt make the cut.
    Most of the money goes to the conference that the teams represent since most of them have an agreement where they split the money. But yes, it is as simple as join a BCS conference. Louisville went from a Conference USA power to kinda sorta good in the Big East. A conference that wants to get teams in the BCS will want a school who they think can get there. he Pac 10 may need to add a school or two if something changes where they need a championship game. But, if you want to be in a BCS bowl, play a BCS schedule. Even though Notre Dame is an independent they still play schools like Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State, USC, etc. The level of competition between a WAC and a BCS conference is not even close.

nbort
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is all about money in the end. ALL the other divisions do it so it's not about studies like they want to say. Also, for those against a playoff, how often do playoffs end up with the 1 vs. 2 in the championship in any sport? Rarely, because "figuring" who the best teams are, and actually playing to find out are two totally different things.

Here's another thing. After years of playing tourneys it shows who the "power" conferences are. Since they will have better showings year after year. Which then leads to better seeding of the tourney.

I honestly think that if they had a tourney it would be bigger than the Super Bowl. Look at March Madness. The level college football would be at would surpass anything. I think MORE money would be made in total.

Think office pools are big for basketball, football was be insane.

I would do it like this:

1. 16 team tourney with other "bowl" eligible teams going to lower level bowls like before.
    2. Keep the same sites/bowls with prestige increasing as rounds go. Then rotate the championship game like now between the big bowls. When not the final, the bowl will be one of the semi finals.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

a full playoff is not nessessary

there has NEVER and will never be a 5th ranked team with any claim to the national title.

If a plus one is implemented, that should be enough.
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be one of those that say no. The way college football is now separates it from professional football. I love it. I routinely watching 3-4 games every Saturday and 1 or less NFL game every Sunday. Playoffs will only take away from the feel that every game counts...

Collecting Barry Zito, Doug Fister, and Brian Fuentes. If you have ANYTHING of these players that you think I might be interested, please contact me!

Legitimate survey site: https://www.surveysavvy.com?id=2771912&action=join

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast