User Tag List

Page 441 of 561 FirstFirst ... 341391431437438439440441442443444445451491541 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,615 of 8404

Thread: Griffey Collector's Thread

  1. #6601
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys I just read through the last couple of pages and wanted to say thank you for all of the good insights. I really enjoyed the write ups that severall of you provided on the current state of the griffey market. It's been impressive how high the sales have been on griffey's truly rare cards but I think it makes sense as these were the cards we grew up wanting, I know I would rather drop serious coin on say a 1997 essenential credentials griffey than a early mid grade mantle.

  2. #6602
    Senior Member Pinbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    9,742
     Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, guys... what does this go for?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/231498459823

  3. #6603
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    252
     budvandall
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    OK, guys... what does this go for?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/231498459823

    $6500. Just a guess.


    Looking for any Griffey item I don't have.

  4. #6604
    Senior Member BBCgalaxee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,361
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI....

    In 99, I paid a couple of kids to shovel snow in front of my store and with the money they bought packs of 99 collectors choice.

    One of them got a gold four star StarQuest /100

    They wound up fighting and the card got creased.

    So there's only 99 left.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  5. #6605
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Just an FYI....

    In 99, I paid a couple of kids to shovel snow in front of my store and with the money they bought packs of 99 collectors choice.

    One of them got a gold four star StarQuest /100

    They wound up fighting and the card got creased.

    So there's only 99 left.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    With as much UD Choice product that went unsold, I'd suspect at least half of them are still packed away, never to be seen. I have only ever seen a picture of ONE in my life. That's the one joey_peapod had.

  6. #6606
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budvandall View Post
    $6500. Just a guess.
    My guess is near yours - if this was listed true auction style for 7 days, no reserve, I think it'd bring between $5,500-$6,000. The last one on eBay went for $3,400 and given this is a Gem 10, the premium should be pretty high. If a raw McGwire sold offline for $2,750 and a raw Ted Williams sold offline for under $9,000, I think Griffey settles right in the middle of these two.

  7. #6607
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    With as much UD Choice product that went unsold, I'd suspect at least half of them are still packed away, never to be seen. I have only ever seen a picture of ONE in my life. That's the one joey_peapod had.
    I've never understood the draw those Starquest Golds have; I understand they're rare and seemingly harder to find than other rares given the unpopularity of the set in general, but the look and design is plain to me. To each his own, though.

  8. #6608
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    OK, guys... what does this go for?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/231498459823
    Looks like it sold for a healthy $5,000:

    https://item.ebay.co.uk/231498459823

  9. #6609
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidel144 View Post
    Looks like it sold for a healthy $5,000:

    https://item.ebay.co.uk/231498459823
    Nice looking card. Seems like a fair deal...

  10. #6610
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy17 View Post
    I'm not sure if magic has that one. Never seen him post it. Joey has had his hands on more Griffey rares than Magic has though. If magic doesn't have it, Joey, have you ever had this one? Marco, if you read this, do you have one?
    Thats correct, Never have had one of thoses sorry to say

    as far as I know the Diamonds do not have the refractor type finsh , Ive had and gave away a few other players in the past
    Last edited by magicpapa; 03-25-2015 at 05:59 AM.

  11. #6611
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    With as much UD Choice product that went unsold, I'd suspect at least half of them are still packed away, never to be seen. I have only ever seen a picture of ONE in my life. That's the one joey_peapod had.



    Last edited by magicpapa; 03-25-2015 at 06:01 AM.

  12. #6612
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, gents: What does this go for?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-FLEER-SPORTS-ILLUSTRATED-FIRST-EDITION-MASTERPIECE-1-1-RARE-/371294501915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672e0 7c1b

    I'm aware that some of Fleer's higher-end inserts (i.e., Legacy Collections, Ultra Masterpieces) from '98 were backdoored and/or counterfeited to look like the real, packed-out counterparts. Anyone heard of these issues applying to the Sports Illustrated set? Also, to be clear, I am not stating or insinuating that the referenced card above is fake.

  13. #6613
    Senior Member RStadlerASU22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,873
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidel144 View Post
    Okay, gents: What does this go for?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-FLEER-SPORTS-ILLUSTRATED-FIRST-EDITION-MASTERPIECE-1-1-RARE-/371294501915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672e0 7c1b

    I'm aware that some of Fleer's higher-end inserts (i.e., Legacy Collections, Ultra Masterpieces) from '98 were backdoored and/or counterfeited to look like the real, packed-out counterparts. Anyone heard of these issues applying to the Sports Illustrated set? Also, to be clear, I am not stating or insinuating that the referenced card above is fake.
    [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] I believe has knowledge of there being an aftermarket sheet cut set of these that hit the market.

    Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN



  14. #6614
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Ryan, appreciate the reference. Interesting - hope to hear what George knows.

    And by "sheet set", do you mean an entire duplicate set of the '98 First Edition 1/1's appeared on the market, stamp and all (i.e., two legitimate versions of the 1/1 parallel exist)?

  15. #6615
    Senior Member RStadlerASU22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,873
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...d.php?t=144933

    Here is a thread I started trying to see what 1/1s had 2 copies. George mentioned it in there as well. Now the one thing I don't know and he would have to confirm here is if he knows if it was a complete set cut down of just 1 sheet w/ certain card #s etc

    Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •