User Tag List

Page 526 of 561 FirstFirst ... 26426476516522523524525526527528529530536 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,890 of 8404

Thread: Griffey Collector's Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, I am curious if anyone has any more information about the 1989 Topps Heads Up Test set? I have been trying to collect these for some time and I am really curious on if the estimated print run is true. "Legend goes that the release was test marketed to a couple of stores in the Pennsylvania area and that an estimated 24 total boxes were produced that contained 24 single item packs inside." If this is true, then logic would say that there is "24" total 1989 Topps Heads Up Test Ken Griffey Jr cards in existence...? Does this seem accurate? I am putting together a spread sheet of all the known versions out there to try and get an accurate total count. Do any of you on these boards have a copy or unopened box or know someone who does? I believe Magicpapa has a copy, and I know BBCE has an unopened box for sale ($4200). Any info would be great, thanks!
    -Ken Griffey Jr Collector-

Currently looking for:
    -1989 Phoenix Magnets (Orange Copyright Font)
    -1989 St. Vincent Stamp SPECIMEN
    -1989 Topps Heads Up Test
    -1990 Toys R Us Mini Box Card

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt that only 24 boxes were made and that someone just made up that number as an estimate. A better estimate would be either 48 or 72. I bought an opened box with all 24 cards back in 2009 for $212 and sold each one individually shortly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by BMaggs View Post
    Hey all, I am curious if anyone has any more information about the 1989 Topps Heads Up Test set? I have been trying to collect these for some time and I am really curious on if the estimated print run is true. "Legend goes that the release was test marketed to a couple of stores in the Pennsylvania area and that an estimated 24 total boxes were produced that contained 24 single item packs inside." If this is true, then logic would say that there is "24" total 1989 Topps Heads Up Test Ken Griffey Jr cards in existence...? Does this seem accurate? I am putting together a spread sheet of all the known versions out there to try and get an accurate total count. Do any of you on these boards have a copy or unopened box or know someone who does? I believe Magicpapa has a copy, and I know BBCE has an unopened box for sale ($4200). Any info would be great, thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klarnold, in your box did you have one of each card?
    Last edited by BMaggs; 10-20-2016 at 01:54 PM.

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klarnold, in your box did you have one of each card?
    Yes, I did.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLARNOLD View Post
    I highly doubt that only 24 boxes were made and that someone just made up that number as an estimate. A better estimate would be either 48 or 72. I bought an opened box with all 24 cards back in 2009 for $212 and sold each one individually shortly after that.
    I agree. A 24 mintage seems very low. I haven't even tried very hard and I've had at least 5 or 6 89 Clark ones, still have a couple. And I've seen quite a few sell over the years without me being an active bidder or buyer. They are definitely tough, but not as rare as some might think.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkfan View Post
    I agree. A 24 mintage seems very low. I haven't even tried very hard and I've had at least 5 or 6 89 Clark ones, still have a couple. And I've seen quite a few sell over the years without me being an active bidder or buyer. They are definitely tough, but not as rare as some might think.
    I've had 4 myself, so that's 10 Clarks there, not sure if any of those 10 we both may have owned, but I'd think to print only 24 would have been a pretty low run from them to do.
    [MENTION=2578]KLARNOLD[/MENTION] , very nice buy for the price

Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkfan View Post

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you all about 24 boxes being too low, unfortunately getting information on these buggers is difficult. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I appreciate it.

On the PSA pop report it shows 7 graded examples of the 89 Griffey. Two PSA 8s, One PSA 6, Three PSA 4's and One PSA Authentic. By chance, is anyone a member over @ Beckett and can say how many their pop report shows and of which grade? Not including Beckett's pop report I have tracked roughly 17 known copies of the 89 Griffey. This includes research from the PSA boards, Net54, Blowout and FCB.

You Clark fans, I am curious how the pop reports are looking for your guy? Does it exceed 24 with both combined?

Also does anyone know if SGC grades these?
    -Ken Griffey Jr Collector-

Currently looking for:
    -1989 Phoenix Magnets (Orange Copyright Font)
    -1989 St. Vincent Stamp SPECIMEN
    -1989 Topps Heads Up Test
    -1990 Toys R Us Mini Box Card

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't waste my time trying to estimate how many there are because you will more than likely never get a definitive answer, especially with Topps being secretive with production numbers for "test" issues. It does not look like SGC has any Griffey Heads Up Graded but here is a link to their pop report: https://www.sgccard.com/PopulationReport.aspx

Yeah, I tend to agree with you all about 24 boxes being too low, unfortunately getting information on these buggers is difficult. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I appreciate it.

On the PSA pop report it shows 7 graded examples of the 89 Griffey. Two PSA 8s, One PSA 6, Three PSA 4's and One PSA Authentic. By chance, is anyone a member over @ Beckett and can say how many their pop report shows and of which grade? Not including Beckett's pop report I have tracked roughly 17 known copies of the 89 Griffey. This includes research from the PSA boards, Net54, Blowout and FCB.

You Clark fans, I am curious how the pop reports are looking for your guy? Does it exceed 24 with both combined?

Also does anyone know if SGC grades these?

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 1 total Heads UP test has been graded by BGS. Griffey and it was a 4.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone here win that Inverted Atomic Refractor of Griffey. Crazy tough card to find I didn't look at the final price but I would guess it would be the same or more than the Jeter I lost. Congrats to whoever did win it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know who Ebayer "looking4raregriffeys" is? I'd like to hit him up about a few cards he's listed recently. I sent a message on Ebay but no response even though he shipped my cards almost immediately.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zlpeterson View Post
    Does anyone know who Ebayer "looking4raregriffeys" is? I'd like to hit him up about a few cards he's listed recently. I sent a message on Ebay but no response even though he shipped my cards almost immediately.
    I just made my first purchase with this seller on a Griffey 97 Finest Silver Embossed Refractor, which should be delivered today. Don't know who he/she is, but he/she definitely has some amazing cards!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know the story on the 1997 Pinnacle Home / Away Jersey Griffey inserts? On eBay, the Away Jersey variant sells for ~$20 and the Home Jersey variant sells for $100+, yet Basecallcardpedia.com lists the odds for each variant to be the same. Anyone know why the difference in selling price?
    Last edited by pogert2003; 11-09-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pogert2003 View Post
    Does anyone know the story on the 1997 Pinnacle Home / Away Jersey Griffey inserts? On eBay, the Away Jersey variant sells for ~$20 and the Home Jersey variant sells for $100+, yet Basecallcardpedia.com lists the odds for each variant to be the same. Anyone know why the difference in selling price?
    The Home/Away inserts were exclusive to magazine packs, which I think are also referred to as "rack packs" that hung on metal rods at places like Target/Walmart (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Either way, these were not as commonly found as the typical hobby or retail pack; thus, I think these carry a premium over other general Pinnacle inserts due to being harder to find because of distribution method.

As far as the price difference between the Home and Away inserts, I think it is due in large part to the look - the Home inserts seem to be more desirable to collectors bc the home whites look better than the away greys. I've noticed this premium on Home inserts for multiple years now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zlpeterson View Post
    Any luck hearing back from the seller?