Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
Question for you all -

The 1989 Phoenix Magnetables - can you describe your copy?

Picked one up the other day, and appears to be a bit bigger than the 1990 version, and have a high-gloss front. Wondering if it's legit.

Welcome your thoughts. Chris

BMaggs

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Hey ckurdelski,

I have two different versions of Griffeys 89 Phoenix Magnet. The photos used are different in both versions. I believe the 90 Phoenix photo is the same photo used as one of the 89's. Rumor has it there might be two other variations; one with orange copy write font and another that has squared cut corners that may be larger as well. I have never seen them, but another thread shows the Sandberg versions... (If I recall correctly).

1989_KenGriffeyJr_PhoenixMagnetables_VersionA_PSA10.jpg
1989_KenGriffeyJr_PhoenixMagnetables_VersionB_PSA10.jpg

BMaggs

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle, Washington
There is also a few variations with the packaging art on its wrapper. Different colors used and the lightning bolts rotated in different directions. Here is one of my versions:

1989_KenGriffeyJr_PhoenixMagnetables_VersionB_UnoppenedPackage_Raw.jpg

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
Awesome [MENTION=6941]BMaggs[/MENTION], appreciate the intel!

Looks like I've got the no players in the dugout variation, the first one you posted. Cheers

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
Awesome [MENTION=6941]BMaggs[/MENTION], appreciate the intel!

Looks like I've got the no players in the dugout variation, the first one you posted. Cheers

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
Separately, anyone here wanting to free up space in the house?

Looking for the 1997 Donruss Preferred Tin Boxes of Griffey - either Blue or Gold. The 24 count box, not the Tin Pack.

PM if you've got one that's collecting some dust. Many thanks!

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Made a huge trade recently with Svlist for something he’s been looking for on these boards for a decade!
Traded a BGS 9 Gold Embossed Refractor for the following:

I then cracked the 93 Finest, cleaned up the surface best I could and boom!

Also got this in today with the 93 Finest

Also picked this up with the BGS 9 I ended up trading (the 9 was raw, I subbed)

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Separately, anyone here wanting to free up space in the house?

Looking for the 1997 Donruss Preferred Tin Boxes of Griffey - either Blue or Gold. The 24 count box, not the Tin Pack.

PM if you've got one that's collecting some dust. Many thanks!

Man I have one but there is no chance I can help you out I am in South Korea and that box is in Virginia Beach. I was trying to get rid of it maybe 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Made a huge trade recently with Svlist for something he’s been looking for on these boards for a decade!
Traded a BGS 9 Gold Embossed Refractor for the following:

I then cracked the 93 Finest, cleaned up the surface best I could and boom!

Also got this in today with the 93 Finest

Also picked this up with the BGS 9 I ended up trading (the 9 was raw, I subbed)

Killer cards. You had TWO embossed refractors???

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

race2816

Dec 16, 2018
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this47488943_987229758135551_37535.jpg Ive had it in my collection for a while and only recently learned a little about it anymore info would be appreciated.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me out with thisView attachment 85234 Ive had it in my collection for a while and only recently learned a little about it anymore info would be appreciated.

First off, wow.
Second off, what a way to make an entrance...first post and you drop that
Third, you have one of the most sought-after and valuable Griffeys ever made.

24 autographed versions made and has clout as being his first numbered, game-used autographed card.

Congrats on having that in your collection!

Last edited:

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me out with thisView attachment 85234 Ive had it in my collection for a while and only recently learned a little about it anymore info would be appreciated.
I don't collect or follow Griffey, but I often stick my head in player threads to see some awesome cards, almost all of which I've at least seen a card from a different player in the set. That being said, that is one awesome card. If someone had already shared I would have thought it was an amazing quality custom. I can't place what set it reminds me of, but something about it says very early 90s, well before I remember game used cards existing. I hope people provide more information. I'd like to see the back too. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
The one card I need shows up and someone is Gona give me hell to get it? You will never get the black so stop thinking you can.

Members online

No members online now.