Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I agree. A 24 mintage seems very low. I haven't even tried very hard and I've had at least 5 or 6 89 Clark ones, still have a couple. And I've seen quite a few sell over the years without me being an active bidder or buyer. They are definitely tough, but not as rare as some might think.
I've had 4 myself, so that's 10 Clarks there, not sure if any of those 10 we both may have owned, but I'd think to print only 24 would have been a pretty low run from them to do.
[MENTION=2578]KLARNOLD[/MENTION] , very nice buy for the price

Ryan
I agree. A 24 mintage seems very low. I haven't even tried very hard and I've had at least 5 or 6 89 Clark ones, still have a couple. And I've seen quite a few sell over the years without me being an active bidder or buyer. They are definitely tough, but not as rare as some might think.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BMaggs

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Yeah, I tend to agree with you all about 24 boxes being too low, unfortunately getting information on these buggers is difficult. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I appreciate it.

On the PSA pop report it shows 7 graded examples of the 89 Griffey. Two PSA 8s, One PSA 6, Three PSA 4's and One PSA Authentic. By chance, is anyone a member over @ Beckett and can say how many their pop report shows and of which grade? Not including Beckett's pop report I have tracked roughly 17 known copies of the 89 Griffey. This includes research from the PSA boards, Net54, Blowout and FCB.

You Clark fans, I am curious how the pop reports are looking for your guy? Does it exceed 24 with both combined?

Also does anyone know if SGC grades these?

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I wouldn't waste my time trying to estimate how many there are because you will more than likely never get a definitive answer, especially with Topps being secretive with production numbers for "test" issues. It does not look like SGC has any Griffey Heads Up Graded but here is a link to their pop report: http://www.sgccard.com/PopulationReport.aspx

Yeah, I tend to agree with you all about 24 boxes being too low, unfortunately getting information on these buggers is difficult. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I appreciate it.

On the PSA pop report it shows 7 graded examples of the 89 Griffey. Two PSA 8s, One PSA 6, Three PSA 4's and One PSA Authentic. By chance, is anyone a member over @ Beckett and can say how many their pop report shows and of which grade? Not including Beckett's pop report I have tracked roughly 17 known copies of the 89 Griffey. This includes research from the PSA boards, Net54, Blowout and FCB.

You Clark fans, I am curious how the pop reports are looking for your guy? Does it exceed 24 with both combined?

Also does anyone know if SGC grades these?

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Anyone here win that Inverted Atomic Refractor of Griffey. Crazy tough card to find I didn't look at the final price but I would guess it would be the same or more than the Jeter I lost. Congrats to whoever did win it.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Does anyone know who Ebayer "looking4raregriffeys" is? I'd like to hit him up about a few cards he's listed recently. I sent a message on Ebay but no response even though he shipped my cards almost immediately.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Does anyone know who Ebayer "looking4raregriffeys" is? I'd like to hit him up about a few cards he's listed recently. I sent a message on Ebay but no response even though he shipped my cards almost immediately.

I just made my first purchase with this seller on a Griffey 97 Finest Silver Embossed Refractor, which should be delivered today. Don't know who he/she is, but he/she definitely has some amazing cards!

pogert2003

Apr 7, 2016
MN
Does anyone know the story on the 1997 Pinnacle Home / Away Jersey Griffey inserts? On eBay, the Away Jersey variant sells for ~$20 and the Home Jersey variant sells for $100+, yet Basecallcardpedia.com lists the odds for each variant to be the same. Anyone know why the difference in selling price?

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Does anyone know the story on the 1997 Pinnacle Home / Away Jersey Griffey inserts? On eBay, the Away Jersey variant sells for ~$20 and the Home Jersey variant sells for $100+, yet Basecallcardpedia.com lists the odds for each variant to be the same. Anyone know why the difference in selling price?

The Home/Away inserts were exclusive to magazine packs, which I think are also referred to as "rack packs" that hung on metal rods at places like Target/Walmart (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Either way, these were not as commonly found as the typical hobby or retail pack; thus, I think these carry a premium over other general Pinnacle inserts due to being harder to find because of distribution method.

As far as the price difference between the Home and Away inserts, I think it is due in large part to the look - the Home inserts seem to be more desirable to collectors bc the home whites look better than the away greys. I've noticed this premium on Home inserts for multiple years now.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014

Any luck hearing back from the seller?

Jan 14, 2009

GC24

Apr 29, 2016
Since I see a few sellers on eBay, beware, I was just hit with a scam. I won't disclose the method used. But, I sold a card in the mid ***'s and Pay Pal just sent me an email that it's been disputed.

I had insurance, tracking, and signature confirmation. The invoice clearly shows this, but, it looks like I'm going to be out of the money and my card.

So, be safe guys. If it happened to me it may happen to others here.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Does anyone have the complete checklist of pre-2000 Griffey autographs handy? Or just know off-hand how many there are? Isn't it like 40-something cards?

Thanks!

I just went to Beckett and created a 2000 and before auto collection of Ken Griffey Jr and there are 95 auto's and then I removed the 2000's and there are 66 auto's from 1992 - 1999

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Since I see a few sellers on eBay, beware, I was just hit with a scam. I won't disclose the method used. But, I sold a card in the mid ***'s and Pay Pal just sent me an email that it's been disputed.

I had insurance, tracking, and signature confirmation. The invoice clearly shows this, but, it looks like I'm going to be out of the money and my card.

So, be safe guys. If it happened to me it may happen to others here.

How could this happen? Any advice to share to help others notice/avoid the scam?