User Tag List

Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay now this just made me a little more nuttier than I already am with these things!
    Last edited by Yanks2151; 05-04-2016 at 07:43 PM.

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they are legit samples; just backdoored replacements that someone took a marker to.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a chance and picked up these cherries recently: 1992 Donruss Supers Partial Set - 12 below were graded and another 6 ungraded
    (Carter, Molitor, Felix Jose, Jay Bell, Swindell, Sanderson)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SUPER1.JPG   SUPER2.JPG   SUPER3.JPG  

Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot how much I paid for this. It's been a long time since I saw one too.....

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calripkenjrcollector View Post
    I forgot how much I paid for this. It's been a long time since I saw one too.....

Cool regardless of how it is written

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been sorting some cards and came across this one I got a couple years ago. Wondering if this might be a psa slabbing sample?? Any info?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0717161947b.jpg  

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No serial #.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0717161949.jpg  

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tenballer View Post
    Been sorting some cards and came across this one I got a couple years ago. Wondering if this might be a psa slabbing sample?? Any info?

Hmmm, I'd say yes it's a PSA thing vs a real sample, but not 100%. Regardless it's a neat item.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone see their player available from those 1992 Ace Novelty Prototype blank back/fronts listed on eBay recently?

I had no idea there were that many players available and wonder if standard issue versions of their cards even exist? Does anyone have the standard issue of their guy? I was fortunate to find the four different Puckett's, but it took me until 2011 to finally find them all.

From what I know about that standard versions, Ace Novelty who used to make those crazy haired Troll dolls from the late 80's and early 90's along with other tchotchkes petitioned MLB for a license to sell cards. Why not, everyone seemed to be making them back then... I heard they made it pretty far in the process with the prototypes they created. They presented to MLB, but were denied the license and were supposed to destroy the cards. Fortunately, some of them made it out at some point in the production or after they were denied the license.

I used to see the 4 Puckett cards on want lists that I found over the years and couldn't find any pictures or information about them. I eventually found them all for my own personal collection. I managed to buy one from eBay in the late 90's and added the other three through offline deals from big time Puckett collectors who sold off their collections.

What blows my mind are these cards are prototypes at their very core, and these blank back/fronts may very well be pre-production prototypes and at the very least unfinished prototypes. They're super cool if you ask me, but then again I chased the standard Puckett's for years. I'd wager given the circumstances surrounding these cards, they'd have to be among the rarest cards of the early 90's. I wish he had Puckett's available for sale!

Clarkfan, do you have any knowledge about them? I've always been fascinated with these cards and would love to hear anything else about them or see more pictures of them.

Here's a picture of my four.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image2.jpg   Image1.jpg  

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K34PuckettAddict View Post
    Did anyone see their player available from those 1992 Ace Novelty Prototype blank back/fronts listed on eBay recently? .......
    Up until yesterday, these never existed to me. I've never heard of them or seen them anywhere. I did some research, and the items listed on ebay right now came from a sheet that sold cheap. Here was the description they gave:

----
    68 fronts and backs, printed on 1 side, unpublished. In the summer of 1992 the company I worked for as Transportation Supervisor, we had a large printing shop that mainly printed Lottery Scratch tickets. We got involved to print Baseball cards. You had to win the final approval to be published. The baseball commission only granted licenses to 2 printing companies. We came in third. I believe no more than a dozen were ever handed out as samples and therefore very rare. The Ball cap goes with the sheet. Thanks for your bid and you really are getting something rare and different to the card collector.
    ----

What it sounds like to me is perhaps a third party printing company was almost in a contest to do these, and they weren't selected. I do think they are neat ... but I don't think I'd be a buyer unless it is at a 10th of the price. If these were prototypes for Topps & front Topps or something, that would be a whole other ball of wax.
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW @K34PuckettAddict your cards look awesome! Do you know if other players exist in the versions you have?
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    BTW @K34PuckettAddict your cards look awesome! Do you know if other players exist in the versions you have?
    I know there are Mattingly and Nolan Ryan's out there for sure. I have 3 of the 4 Puckett's.
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure an actual Ozzie Smith was released as well. I haven't seen enough of these to truly form a good opinion on them though. I've never had any of any player. But seeing those proofs that are currently listed makes it a lot more likely that other final production cards/players were made. I guess I wish I had stumbled upon the sheet for $25 seeing the asking prices of the cards cut from it. I don't think the uncut proof cards are worth quite that much, but they still are pretty cool. Now I really want to know where more of the final production cards are.
    Last edited by clarkfan; 05-02-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION]. I've only ever seen 2 Nolan Ryan's listed for sale on eBay once or twice while I was looking for the Puckett's. With the exception of the three Josh has, the other Puckett's that sold on eBay have all sold for at least $350 or better. I had to pay $400 each for the last two that that I needed. Given the fact that these were supposed to be destroyed, it's entirely possible the other players never made their way out to the public. Since it took me forever to find my Puckett's and I had to pay around a grand for my four standards, I woulda ended a pair of those blankback/fronts the moment I saw them. He's keeping the Puckett's even though I offered the same price he's asking for the Ryan's.

You can tell by the backs of my four that they had to be at the last stage of getting that MLB license since they included it on the backs.
    Last edited by K34PuckettAddict; 07-19-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    Hmmm, I'd say yes it's a PSA thing vs a real sample, but not 100%. Regardless it's a neat item.

Ryan
    I have 3 of these and was wondering as well. Any idea of value or anyone have any interest?