Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dec 4, 2008
I was hoping to learn more from one of the more knowledgeable promo or finest people on the boards like clarkfan or RStadlerASU. There was a version like this that I saw on worthpoint from many years ago limited to 5 signed copies from the Chromium licensor but these are missing the signature. Then another handful on worthpoint they looked identical but very very few at all. They are really cool with a transparency-like quality (thin- not heavy card stock) where when you shine light through them they look awesome. So they don’t have a full refractor finish to them that I can appreciate but when any light passes through them like with the scanner bed for this photo they look sweet.

Leximo has some stuff like this for cheap, both now and especially a couple years ago, but the only green all star he had was Mattingly...not sure what the story is on rarity or how this bunch came to be. I also picked up a bunch of tougher promo issues like 1982 Topps Blueless, 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test, and 1996 Leaf Preferred Steel gold promos from the same consignor so I don’t have concerns about them not being legit. Guessing these have been put away for some time now. I also have one of each of most of the finest all stars including the really popular PC guys like Griffey, Nolan Ryan and Frank Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Thanks mate. But I already have one of those. In fact, I've had it since 1996. If I remember right, not long after I picked it up I quit the hobby. Then sometime after I got back involved in late 2014 I realized the base card was entirely different....and the one I had all along was an unmarked promo. But thanks again for thinking of me. It's a really cool card.

Appreciate it. Thank you.

Dec 4, 2008
They are all available, I was planning to list them on ebay sometime in January but happy to sell directly here...saves me some fees and the buyer some sales tax. Feel free to offer away via PM! I am guessing some of these depending on the player might garner some pretty decent interest. Lee Smith will likely be the lonely girl at the dance without any inquiries ;)

45550c_lg.jpeg45550d_lg.jpeg45550e_lg.jpeg45550f_lg.jpeggriffeyfin1.jpggriffeyfin2.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Actually I did read that, and posted a reply on the other thread you started:

https://www.freedomcardboard.com/fo...93-finest-proofs-promos?p=2588562#post2588562

But...maybe I didn't put 2+2 together. Are you saying the cards in this promos/prototypes thread are the same as the ones from your juangone post? These look different to me in a couple ways. First, even though they're flipped over, their "back" sides look exactly the same as the "front sides" (except for the players' faces), which I wouldn't expect if they were generated by soaking in water and peeling the backs off. Second, why would the players' faces be the only thing to look different? But those were just my guesses. I suppose they could be the same things.

The other thing is a different seller name. Is cardboardstars the same seller as chippercards.com? As far as I've always known, Matt (chippercards.com) is a reputable seller, so I hope he chimes in. I'd like to hear what he has to say.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Look at the flip side on page 60 of the Gonzalez in the upper right. They are the same. He is a reputable seller that's why he removed the auctions.

P.S.
The water would not change any color on the plastic film.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
No silver even for Wakefield? I have seen a few Garvey silver samples from that same set, but never a gold. They were supposed to be 10% of the silver run, but I want to believe at this point that there was no gold Garvey made/issued. Would love to even know how many of a given player were made in silver, which would provide a rough gold print run (if one exists).

Obviously if someone can prove me wrong, I will concede (and would want the card too). Maybe the print run of silver was so low per player, that golds were 1/1s. Can anyone confirm more than 1 gold sample card for any given player/set?

Tim Wakefield stuff anyone? Been looking for the 03 donruss team heroes gold/silver samples for the longest time.

Members online