User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    787
     notoriousrmb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Just looking for personal opinions, I'm going to get a bunch of balls signed at the All-Star Fanfest this afternoon. I am pretty sure ball point pens work the best...feel free to correct me if you know something better.

    Thanks!

    Player Collections
    STL Cards Ray Lankford (528/965 = 55%, 6 1/1's!) & Jaime Garcia NY Jets Brad Smith (185/297 = 62%, 17 1/1's!) PHI Eagles Jeremy Maclin

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChasHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belvidere, Illinois
    Posts
    22,482
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousrmb
    Just looking for personal opinions, I'm going to get a bunch of balls signed at the All-Star Fanfest this afternoon. I am pretty sure ball point pens work the best...feel free to correct me if you know something better.

    Thanks!
    At most signings I've been to, they usually provide the writing utensils.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    787
     notoriousrmb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    For the planned signings, yes I'll agree, but I'll also be at the Futures Game and some other events before the All-Star game where I may be fortunate enough to get a few IP sigs.

    Player Collections
    STL Cards Ray Lankford (528/965 = 55%, 6 1/1's!) & Jaime Garcia NY Jets Brad Smith (185/297 = 62%, 17 1/1's!) PHI Eagles Jeremy Maclin

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChasHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belvidere, Illinois
    Posts
    22,482
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousrmb
    For the planned signings, yes I'll agree, but I'll also be at the Futures Game and some other events before the All-Star game where I may be fortunate enough to get a few IP sigs.
    In that case I would say a blue BIC med. ballpoint would be your best bet.
    Just get it nice and "broken in" so you don't get skips in the sigs.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,044
     dethomas07
     dethomas07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Bic Pro + pen, blue!

    David

  6. #6
    Member chisox3706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    nw indiana/chicagoland
    Posts
    803
     chisox3706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Quote Originally Posted by chashawk
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousrmb
    For the planned signings, yes I'll agree, but I'll also be at the Futures Game and some other events before the All-Star game where I may be fortunate enough to get a few IP sigs.
    In that case I would say a blue BIC med. ballpoint would be your best bet.
    Just get it nice and "broken in" so you don't get skips in the sigs.
    i agree, i always scribble on the top of the baseball's box or if i just have paper or something on me a little bit before sending it to the player.

    my collection and wants


  7. #7
    Senior Member matchpenalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    6,914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Yep, bic BLUE ballpoint looks best.
    Also get official MLB baseballs and not crappy knockoffs. Don't even waste your time having guys signing crappy non ORMLB balls. Also make sure you tell them where to sign, otherwise they will side panel most of the time.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Quote Originally Posted by matchpenalty
    Yep, bic BLUE ballpoint looks best.
    Also get official MLB baseballs and not crappy knockoffs. Don't even waste your time having guys signing crappy non ORMLB balls. Also make sure you tell them where to sign, otherwise they will side panel most of the time.
    Now is there a way to get rid of ink on an official MLB ball?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,426
     BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    This may sounds stupid, but carry the pen (cap on obviously) point down in your pocket. If gravity is pulling the ink towards the roller ball it while you aren't using the pen, it will be less likely to skip when being used.

  10. #10
    Senior Member matchpenalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    6,914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Best Pen/Marker for signing baseballs?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwashuc06
    Quote Originally Posted by matchpenalty
    Yep, bic BLUE ballpoint looks best.
    Also get official MLB baseballs and not crappy knockoffs. Don't even waste your time having guys signing crappy non ORMLB balls. Also make sure you tell them where to sign, otherwise they will side panel most of the time.
    Now is there a way to get rid of ink on an official MLB ball?
    Have heard if ink is recent. Take scotch tape, press it down on the part you want removed and then peel it up and it will take pen ink off. Might have to do it a few times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •