Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AAA All Star game in Portland Wednesday night--fanfest today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
"Portland Beavers announce that Dale Murphy, Johnny Pesky and Scott Brosius will lead an impressive group of Portland-area baseball greats that will appear at the All-Star Fan Fest"
as well as former Beavers Eddie Basinski, Artie Wilson, George Freese, Ben Petrick, Tommy Sandt and Wayne Twitchell, in addition to Pete Ward.

To be perfectly honest, the line up of players at the fan fest is less than impressive. I've lived in and loved the city of Portland all my life, but could care less about former Portland Beavers players being at the festivities. With all the connections available you'd think that Merritt Paulson would have done a better job of creating a better baseball attraction. Ohh, wait...I forgot that Paulson doesn't give a shat about baseball in our fair city. He wants to turn PGE park into a Major League Soccer Stadium that will only host 9 games per year. Fortunately our citizens of Portland have shut down Paulson's attempts to create a new stadium in less than favorable areas, one with the superb nickname of Felony Flats (SE 98th and Holgate). Regardless, this years game should be a great show with the likes of
John Bowker
Matt Miller
Matt Murton
Terry Evans
Brendan Katin
Michael Ryan
Randy Ruiz
Eric Young Jr
Alcides Escobar
Brandon Wood
Chris Shelton
Chris Robinson
Eric Munson
Rusty Ryal
Bud Norris
Yorman Bazardo
Kevin Pucetas
Lenny DiNardo
Charlie Haeger
Randy Ready MGR.

ea685ab096837b50f8d5d2929d26cd30.500.jpg

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
yankeeshater said:
Is that the Chris "Mr. April" Shelton?

And you should really add Clay Buchholz's name to that list.

That is the correct Shelton, I know I didn't put all the players that are on the teams on the list. I just listed a handful of interesting folks off the top of my head. I mean for Christ Sakes RANDY READY is in my town ;)

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
boxbreaker44 said:
yankeeshater said:

Clay isnt going to be there.

No? He was named an All-Star...I was unaware he wasn't going to go. Why won't he be there?

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
yankeeshater said:
boxbreaker44 said:
yankeeshater said:

Clay isnt going to be there.

No? He was named an All-Star...I was unaware he wasn't going to go. Why won't he be there?

Because he is pitching tomorrow and will not be able to pitch in the ASG so he isnt going.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
sneekc said:
Felony Flats (SE 98th and Holgate).

I thought Felony Flats was closer to 72nd? 92nd and Holgate has a rich history for little league baseball (besides having a cool shop there back in the day). I just don't understand why they think it would be a good spot for a bigger park? If anything, being the middle of a residental area, it would be perfect for an "A" or short season park.

I think they should have built a new stadium up at Delta Park or where the Expo Center is (no one else is really using it).

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
i43770 said:
sneekc said:
Felony Flats (SE 98th and Holgate).

I thought Felony Flats was closer to 72nd? 92nd and Holgate has a rich history for little league baseball (besides having a cool shop there back in the day). I just don't understand why they think it would be a good spot for a bigger park? If anything, being the middle of a residental area, it would be perfect for an "A" or short season park.

I think they should have built a new stadium up at Delta Park or where the Expo Center is (no one else is really using it).
Lents is where they wanted to put the new AAA park but the community was not having it at all. I used to live on 100th & Holgate across from Bloomington (where I played babe ruth) and you are right there is a lot of little league and babe ruth baseball history there.
20 blocks in that are doesnt do much :) it now stretches from 42nd Powell'ish, up to 122nd and West all the way to Clackamas. The meth may be gone, but there is still plenty of junkies and crack heads. Lents park bathrooms (where they wanted to put the new stadium) are notorious for needles in the toilets and baggies in the parking lot.

Members online