Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 All-Star Fanfest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Just got back from the fanfest here in St. Louis. In case anyone is planning on going in the next few days, just a few things to be aware of.

Autographs:
Most autograph lines start lining up around 4 hours before the signer is scheduled to appear. There are a few spots to get free autographs, but any guests in the Mastercard signing in the front of the show will only sign for the first 200, and only on the pictures they provide. Other booths will allow anything besides bats. But be prepared, you will be waiting up to 4 hours in line so don't plan on getting more than one autograph too close together.

Sports Cards:
There are a bunch of dealers set up, all selling the same wax. UD Series 1 and 2, UD SPx and Leg Cuts, Topps Series 1 and 2, Topps Heritage and Allen & Ginter. Didn't really see anything outside these boxes...one dealer curiously enough had a display set up selling hot packs, many from the same products he had out to sell ::facepalm:: All singles seemed in my opinion to be way overpriced (i.e. base Longoria cards from BCDP for $10)

UD had a booth with a wrapper redemption program, open 3 packs and get a 4-card set which changes daily. Topps allowed you to choose from 1 of 5 Fanfest exclusive Cardinal cards if you opened 3 packs, plus if you bought a box you could receive a manufactured All-Star patch card. Neat looking, but tough to justify for the price and selection of cards to choose from.

Activites:
If you have a Holiday Inn Priority Club card, BRING IT! You can stop by the information booth and show your card to get some coupons allowing you to move to the front of the line for most events (not autographs). Well worth it! Tons to do, including a home run derby where you can try to hit balls over a "green monster" type wall. Bring the kids, they will love it.

Food:
Not a deal breaker, but for those who plan on spending a long day there it is standard ballpark fare and ballpark priced ($4 bottle sodas, $5 hot dogs, etc.) Taco bell has a promotion where they give away free volcano tacos every 2-3 hours...this line is also quite long.

Did not see any McFarlane exclusive Fanfest figures, a big let down for me.

Tons of guest speakers, Cal Ripken was there this morning broadcasting for XM radio. Plenty of places to just sit and listen to the greats talk baseball. Hopefully the crowds will die down a bit after the first day today because it was tough trying to walk around. Overall, I think some improvements could have been made regarding the autograph lines and timing, but it was a fun event and if you have kids you should go if you are in the area.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Wanted to add one more thing I can't believe I missed...the memorabilia.

Most of it is for sale Tuesday, Hunt's Auctions is running a live auction beginning at 10:00 am.

Some simply amazing stuff there...I think I counted 5 Babe Ruth autographed balls, more 1909 T-205 cards than I have seen in my entire life in one place, autographed jerseys from past All-Stars, original advertisements from tobacco companies, artwork, World Series and All-Star rings...just an unbelieveable display. Wish I could be around Tuesday to bid on some of it but my wallet thanks me for not having tickets.

Kozma Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Tons of guest speakers, Cal Ripken was there this morning broadcasting for XM radio. Plenty of places to just sit and listen to the greats talk baseball. Hopefully the crowds will die down a bit after the first day today because it was tough trying to walk around. Overall, I think some improvements could have been made regarding the autograph lines and timing, but it was a fun event and if you have kids you should go if you are in the area.

Today was the second day and probably the busiest but if you are there from 9 to 11 or 5 to 8 the lines start dying out, except for autographs.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Bump for anybody heading down today. Anyone have autograph success, love to hear your stories! I'm headed to the Futures Game, praying Brett Wallace will be around to sign!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I definitely recommend the Hunt auctions. He is a local guy and he gets some INSANE stuff.

Good luck to all who go!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
My friend and I thought about making the long drive over there one day, but the chaotic crowd, long wait times, not knowing who would be signing until a week before the event, combined with the long drive and cost, we decided against it.I have some patience, but after several hours combined with the brutal boredom waiting in line, it wears on you.

So, some autographs are free and some aren't?Who did you get?

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
All autographs were free, I just did not choose to wait the 4+ hours in line to be one of the first 200 as only a limited number were being signed. I did however make it to the Futures game today and got more sigs in one day than I could believe...I'll have pictures of those and of the Celebrity Softball game once I catch up on sleep. A nice long 12 hour day at the ballpark :D

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
notoriousrmb said:
All autographs were free, I just did not choose to wait the 4+ hours in line to be one of the first 200 as only a limited number were being signed. I did however make it to the Futures game today and got more sigs in one day than I could believe...I'll have pictures of those and of the Celebrity Softball game once I catch up on sleep. A nice long 12 hour day at the ballpark :D

Would you at least been able to keep your spot in line for the next session if you weren't one of the 200?Sounds like you get a spot in line and you have no idea who you will meet?

Going to the Futures Game was probably the safer bet.I watch every year and you can always get good seats, the the players always sign before/during/after the game by the dugout.Who did you get?I hate how ESPN show the Celebrity game on tape delay every year, I would have preferred to watch it live after the Futures Game.Some of those softball players got game.

Members online