Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it just me......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
....or is everyone a little touchy lately? I feel like every thread I open up to read gets diverted into some overblown argument about something stupid. I kind of feel like a woman for making a "can't we all just get along" thread :oops: , but it's getting rediculous. I can't even read about the topic I opened the thread about half the time. If someone makes a comment that you think is stupid or asks a question that you think is stupid, does someone always have to rail on them for it? If someone makes a joke you feel is inappropriate, is the best way to handle it ridiculing them or does it just make it worse? I read a ton here although I don't post much, but I post much more than I did on the old BMB, because this sort of thing was so rampant. I'd hate to see it become that way here.

....and I fully expect someone to come in and make a joke about me in this thread now :D .

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
boomo said:
couldnt agree more, this place is just starting to suck.

the chat room has not changed one bit, on topic conversations, no bickering or backstabbing, just a real nice place to sit back and talk cards without having to worry about someone making fun of you

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
boomo said:
Then freakin leave!!

My goodness all you do is bitch and moan about how much you hate it here, how hard is it to not come to this site if you hate it so much???

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I'm going as far as saying the site sucks.... I like being here more than on any other message boards. I like the community and feel like I'm much more informed on the game and my hobby for it. I just don't want it to get to the point where I don't want to post anything because I know someone will ridicule it. That's all.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the community here is a good one. The collecting interests of most folks around here are on completely different wavelengths of the spectrum from me, but I like seeing the other collecting foci. I tend to stick to '90s inserts, player collector threads, and the occasional (but rare) vintage topic.

To me, cards and memorabilia that are contemporary to their respective playing days, best celebrate vintage HOFers. To most around here, swatches and slices of game used equipment is the way to do the same.

For me, collecting a certain player is what I do without regard to the investment potential. Most here collect certain players for the investment potential.

In the end, though I get tired of what I consider to be nonsense from time to time (and probably wrongfully speak out on occasion), I tend to hold my tongue and contribute when my hobby knowledge is applicable.

All message boards have a degree of "gang" mentality. Those perceived weak tend to be thrown to slaughter. I challenge everyone to turn others' (and their own) moments of ignorance into a chance to have serious, open dialogue about the hobby and its many facets. Do not take offense to well-intended, thoughtful critiques, and be willing to talk about them and learn from them.

This is just a message board. Such an environment allows those who would normally be silent to have a voice, even if they don't know how to use it just yet. It also allows those who should probably stay quiet to flex muscles they would ignorantly flex in any environment because it is who they are. Either way, we're all fellable and there is always someone "bigger" and "stronger," in some sense of the words.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
LOL... REEDICKYOULOS!!!!!!!!! Snyper points out a spellin misteak when he kan't evan spelll SNIPER!

and yes I totally agree with the OP.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Snyper said:
I think it's "rediculous" that you don't know how to spell ridiculous correctly.

DANG IT!!! You beat me to it!!!!!

Just Kidding WD!

I know what you are saying, but SOMETIMES (and notice I put that in all caps) I like to read that "drama" threads, but some times it gets out of hand.

BTW, PM your addy and I will send you those two upton A&Gs.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I think this thread becoming an example of what WoundedDuck is talking about.

As BunchOBull said, "[d]o not take offense to well-intended, thoughtful critiques, and be willing to talk about them and learn from them." Instead of having an instinctual reaction to lash out at criticisms, think about them; should you feel them to be ill-founded definitely share that belief, but do so in a thoughtful manner. The gut reaction to spit out a tersely worded rejoiner often times destroys a thread, filling it up with pointless bickering.

On another level, I think that offense is often taken to comments that are meant to be jokes, which is not all that surprising considering that a lot of intended humour and sarcastic remarks are lost in translation on a message board. A joke often depends just as much or more on delivery as it does on content, such that if written on a message board it can be confusing, or, worse, insulting. Sarcasm is worse still, because it often depends on context and interpersonal relationships. On a forum such as here, even if the two people directly involved understand the subtext, most others do not. Most of the time I consider sarcasm to be pointless (and often a poor excuse for humour) when written. Nevertheless, if it is used it is well worth trying to see how others would view a message that you write. If the meaning is even slightly nebulous, I would throw in a few words or an emoticon, each of which can clear it up substantially.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
LWMM said:
I think this thread becoming an example of what WoundedDuck is talking about.

As BunchOBull said, "[d]o not take offense to well-intended, thoughtful critiques, and be willing to talk about them and learn from them." Instead of having an instinctual reaction to lash out at criticisms, think about them; should you feel them to be ill-founded definitely share that belief, but do so in a thoughtful manner. The gut reaction to spit out a tersely worded rejoiner often times destroys a thread, filling it up with pointless bickering.

On another level, I think that offense is often taken to comments that are meant to be jokes, which is not all that surprising considering that a lot of intended humour and sarcastic remarks are lost in translation on a message board. A joke often depends just as much or more on delivery as it does on content, such that if written on a message board it can be confusing, or, worse, insulting. Sarcasm is worse still, because it often depends on context and interpersonal relationships. On a forum such as here, even if the two people directly involved understand the subtext, most others do not. Most of the time I consider sarcasm to be pointless (and often a poor excuse for humour) when written. Nevertheless, if it is used it is well worth trying to see how others would view a message that you write. If the meaning is even slightly nebulous, I would throw in a few words or an emoticon, each of which can clear it up substantially.

Hence my over-used " :D " & " :? " & even at times " :| "....I had WAY too many people taking what I wrote as literal & getting offended or having thier feeling's hurt, so now I take no chances & make sure that my reader's know I'm wearing a " :D " as I type my post's! :D

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Most of the time I consider sarcasm to be pointless (and often a poor excuse for humour) when written
Sarcasm is the highest form of humor :twisted:

Also, I agree with the OP. There is often way too much BS around here.
However, when I encounter it, I usually just close that thread and move on.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
scotty21690 said:
boomo said:
Then freakin leave!!

My goodness all you do is bitch and moan about how much you hate it here, how hard is it to not come to this site if you hate it so much???

this may be the first time i have agreed with you scotty haha

Members online

Latest posts