Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Appreciating "Pandoval"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
I realize this has been covered ad naseum on the boards, but I wanted to point out a few things about Pablo Sandoval in light of the fact that he will not be getting the All-Star attention he deserves.

Sandoval is 6th in the country in SLG% -- players with a lower slugging percentage include Mark Teixeira, Adam Dunn, Evan Longoria, Justin Upton, Ryan Howard, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, and Ryan Braun

He has the highest SLG% of all third basemen in the nation

Of the players in the top 20 for SLG%, Sandoval has fewer strikeouts than all of them except Albert Pujols and Joe Mauer

Over the last 30 days, only Albert Pujols has a higher SLG% than Sandoval. Over that same time period, only Jason Werth and Albert Pujols have more home runs.

Sandoval is tied with Mark Teixeira and Ryan Braun for 6th in the nation for total bases on the year. Over the last 30 days, only Pujols has more total bases.

Sandoval is 6th in the nation in batting average, and 1st out of third basemen

Sandoval has the 9th highest OPS in the country, and the highest of all third basemen

Pablo Sandoval is 22 years old

Again, I realize the board has seen plenty of Pablo posts, so if you don't care or are tired of him already, don't read it.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
So, I assume this is just a long winded way of saying he deserves to be in the AS game, no? You do understand it's just a popularity contest, do you not? And I'm sorry if this bothers you, but Pandoval is just not popular... Yet. No conspiracy here, no suprise....

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Why are you saying "nation" and "country", these are college football contexts. Besides there is an MLB team in Canada ;)

Adam G said:
I realize this has been covered ad naseum on the boards, but I wanted to point out a few things about Pablo Sandoval in light of the fact that he will not be getting the All-Star attention he deserves.

Sandoval is 6th in the country in SLG% -- players with a lower slugging percentage include Mark Teixeira, Adam Dunn, Evan Longoria, Justin Upton, Ryan Howard, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, and Ryan Braun

Of the players in the top 20 for SLG%, Sandoval has fewer strikeouts than all of them except Albert Pujols and Joe Mauer

Over the last 30 days, only Albert Pujols has a higher SLG% than Sandoval. Over that same time period, only Jason Werth and Albert Pujols have more home runs.

Sandoval is tied with Mark Teixeira and Ryan Braun for 6th in the nation for total bases on the year. Over the last 30 days, only Pujols has more total bases.

Sandoval has the 9th highest OPS in the country, and the highest of all third basemen

Again, I realize the board has seen plenty of Pablo posts, so if you don't care or are tired of him already, don't read it.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
matfanofold said:
So, I assume this is just a long winded way of saying he deserves to be in the AS game, no? You do understand it's just a popularity contest, do you not? And I'm sorry if this bothers you, but Pandoval is just not popular... Yet. No conspiracy here, no suprise....

No, I absolutely realize that the AS game is a popularity contest (see David Wright), but I thought I would make a few points to people who can appreciate stats beyond batting average and ERA. It's too late to worry about the AS game anyways. Just saying that Sandoval should be considered one of the elite hitters in the game right now, regardless of popular opinion.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
Why are you saying "nation" and "country", these are college football contexts. Besides there is an MLB team in Canada ;)

Adam G said:

Why are you so picky?

dutchj16

Aug 11, 2008
I agree that Sandoval is having an insane year but I think his numbers are skewed. He is hitting .394 at home while .272 away. Also he hit 8 home runs in June which is more than half of his total so far. Also in June he did not face very good pitchers. I could be wrong but I think Sandoval's numbers are skewed and that he won't be very good in the long run.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Adam G said:

[quote="Adam G":ukcv94qc]I realize this has been covered ad naseum on the boards, but I wanted to point out a few things about Pablo Sandoval in light of the fact that he will not be getting the All-Star attention he deserves.

Why are you so picky?[/quote:ukcv94qc]

I found it pretty weird to refer to it the way you did also. There is also a Canadian team, as he mentioned.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Adam G said:
matfanofold said:

No, I absolutely realize that the AS game is a popularity contest (see David Wright), but I thought I would make a few points to people who can appreciate stats beyond batting average and ERA. It's too late to worry about the AS game anyways. Just saying that Sandoval should be considered one of the elite hitters in the game right now, regardless of popular opinion.

Ah, ok. I agree he has been hitting dangerously well this year. Unfortunately, it usually takes more than a few months of very good hitting to get attention these days unless your a "over-hyped" prospect.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
dutchj16 said:
I agree that Sandoval is having an insane year but I think his numbers are skewed. He is hitting .394 at home while .272 away. Also he hit 8 home runs in June which is more than half of his total so far. Also in June he did not face very good pitchers. I could be wrong but I think Sandoval's numbers are skewed and that he won't be very good in the long run.
he started off the first two weeks or so (maybe more) batting under .200

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Most of us agree that he should be in the all star game... so should Mark Reynolds and many others. This is the way it always is. It's a popularity contest.... or with internet votes, a contest between those willing to use every last vote they can cast to get their guy in. There aren't enough damn innings to include everyone we like.

I don't vote for "my guy" when he's not doing so well. If he is, he gets my vote...and the rest of the votes go to the respective players who deserve it.

If we want to see a true all-star game, I'd say the actual players and managers would do a better job of picking the teams, just don't allow them to vote for their own teammates.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This guy is the real deal. Hopefully he gains the attention he deserves and makes the AS team next season. He's hitting almost .340 at the midway point, yet some people still don't think highly of him? Okay then, lol.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
sportscardtheory said:
This guy is the real deal. Hopefully he gains the attention he deserves and makes the AS team next season. He's hitting almost .340 at the midway point, yet some people still don't think highly of him? Okay then, lol.
People laught when I think he has a legit chance at leading the NL in average...and to boot he already has 15 HR when people thought he couldn't get 10...

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Adam G said:

[quote="Adam G":idrj035h]I realize this has been covered ad naseum on the boards, but I wanted to point out a few things about Pablo Sandoval in light of the fact that he will not be getting the All-Star attention he deserves.

Why are you so picky?[/quote:idrj035h]

Because you sound uninformed and it takes away from your credibility.

Fans shouldn't vote for All-Stars for this very reason.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I just like how, at the END of your post, you invite people not to read it :lol:

Kung Fu Panda was my best flip of the year: $5 auto pile for his Elite turned into a $43 sale on eBay.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Ah, ok. I agree he has been hitting dangerously well this year. Unfortunately, it usually takes more than a few months of very good hitting to get attention these days unless your a "over-hyped" prospect.

Many people forget he also hit .345 last year and was a lock for NL ROY but came up 20 AB short.

In terms of overall athleticism he is blessed. I can't imagine what his numbers would look like if he played in a hitters park as opposed to Sanfran. The only problem I see when he hits is that he swings at EVERY single high pitch, but if thats his biggest flaw I'll deal with it.

His value to the Giants is also not recognized enough. He can start at any defensive position needed except pitcher. He has started at 3B 1B and catcher and periodically filled in all three outfield spots in the minors. I'm sure in an emergency a SS start or 2B start is not out of the question. For some reason people just don't want to admit he is quickly becoming a GREAT player.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
hive17 said:
I just like how, at the END of your post, you invite people not to read it :lol:

Kung Fu Panda was my best flip of the year: $5 auto pile for his Elite turned into a $43 sale on eBay.
Jeez. Def one of those big misses. I mean what if oyu spend 50 dollar on (5) Elite autos...damn.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Sweetness said:

Many people forget he also hit .345 last year and was a lock for NL ROY but came up 20 AB short.

In terms of overall athleticism he is blessed. I can't imagine what his numbers would look like if he played in a hitters park as opposed to Sanfran. The only problem I see when he hits is that he swings at EVERY single high pitch, but if thats his biggest flaw I'll deal with it.

His value to the Giants is also not recognized enough. He can start at any defensive position needed except pitcher. He has started at 3B 1B and catcher and periodically filled in all three outfield spots in the minors. I'm sure in an emergency a SS start or 2B start is not out of the question. For some reason people just don't want to admit he is quickly becoming a GREAT player.
He actually can run for a big plumpy guy as well. 4 SB too lol. He has the speed to run the bases, but needs better judgement when going home sometimes. That'll come to him with a little more experience. He is still learning the game, and raking at the same time. IF it wasn't for him, the Giants offense would be the worst in the league. Thank god for Rowand him and nate and ishikawa heating up!

Members online