Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HALLADAY/LINCECUM NAMED STARTERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
cowboysrule48 said:
trademhigh said:
Rudzud said:
Its gonna be Wakefields first and last ASG appearance. He should atleast be able to stand on that mound, even if its just to face 1 batter.
How should that matter? No offense, but it's not like he is a HOFer or a legend or anything like that.

It matters because he plays for Boston!

And any team in the league would LOVE to have Tim Wakefield on their staff. He's one of the few pitchers that has more value than ERA, K's and W's.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
bradical said:
trademhigh said:
Why? The Best starting pitcher is supposed to start. This is why I'm glad fans don't also pick the starting pitchers.

The same reason ARod let Cal Ripken start at SS in his place at his final ASG appearance in 2001.

What makes Halladay the best starting pitcher? Wins, KOs, ERA? I'd agree with you, that if it was Game 7 of the World Series, and I needed one starter, I would not choose anyone over Halladay. But starting at the ASG is nothing but a silly stat line.

To those who have had a great career, like Wakefield, and constantly snubbed from the ASG, I think it'd be a great honor to let him start at the bump.
You cannot compare Cal Ripken Jr. to Wakefield. Ripken is one of the best SS of all time. Is Wakefield even a top 50 pitcher of all time? I can understand what you are saying if a guy like Sandy Koufax was pitching in his final season, and the starting pitcher let Koufax start over him. But, for Tim Wakefield, really?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Just throwing this out there...

4 active pitchers have more wins than Wake. To say Wake is a compiler is an understatement, but look at what the guys in front of him are doing this season.

Randy Johnson (8-6, 4.81 ERA)
Jamie Moyer (8-6, 5.99 ERA)
Andy Pettitte (8-5, 4.85 ERA)
John Smoltz (injured, 5.4 ERA)
Tim Wakefield (11-3, 4.31 ERA)

Not saying he's a HOF player or an all time great, but the body of work he's put out and the consistency he's offered has been impressive. I don't think he should be starting the ASG either (while it would have been a nice thing for him), but I hate to hear people talking down on Wake.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Tomlinson21RB said:

4 active pitchers have more wins than Wake. To say Wake is a compiler is an understatement, but look at what the guys in front of him are doing this season.

Not saying he's a HOF player or an all time great, but the body of work he's put out and the consistency he's offered has been impressive. I don't think he should be starting the ASG either (while it would have been a nice thing for him), but I hate to hear people talking down on Wake.

I'm not talking down on Wake. I'm just saying he doesn't deserve to be in the game this year. It was classy of Joe Maddon to take him and let him experience it once in his career though.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
bigeric said:
How did Halladay get the start over grienke
because Halladay is twice the pitcher that zach is...zach's start was a fluke. you won't hear much about him anymore.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
cowboysrule48 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

I'm not talking down on Wake. I'm just saying he doesn't deserve to be in the game this year. It was classy of Joe Maddon to take him and let him experience it once in his career though.
Agreed. Like I said, he's a good pitcher not a great one.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
trademhigh said:
Rudzud said:
Its gonna be Wakefields first and last ASG appearance. He should atleast be able to stand on that mound, even if its just to face 1 batter.
How should that matter? No offense, but it's not like he is a HOFer or a legend or anything like that.

I would say he is a legend. A class act on and off the field too. A legend in my book anyway.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
hofautos said:
trademhigh said:
Rudzud said:

I would say he is a legend.

haha maybe in boston, but anywere else knows hes not that great

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Makes sense to me. The ASG falls on what would have been Lincecum's next start, and after his CG, I wouldn't really wanna see Haren out there for more than an inning on shorter rest than normal. Hopefully I can finally see the NL win an ASG for the first time.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
KOBEARODLT said:
hofautos said:
trademhigh said:
Rudzud said:

I would say he is a legend.

haha maybe in boston, but anywere else knows hes not that great

Well, Boston is the center of the sports world... :lol:

If he's a legend it's because of what he brings to a team beyond stats. There aren't many pitchers that have had the type of career he's had. He's never been dominant, but he's been consistently good and brings a reliable arm to the team that can pitch deep into the game when needed, pitch on short rest when needed, and pitch long relief if needed.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
nkdbacks said:
Makes sense to me. The ASG falls on what would have been Lincecum's next start, and after his CG, I wouldn't really wanna see Haren out there for more than an inning on shorter rest than normal. Hopefully I can finally see the NL win an ASG for the first time.
AL has to face some nasty pitchers. Its finally NLs time to shine.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Frow said:
hofautos said:
bigeric said:
How did Halladay get the start over grienke
because Halladay is twice the pitcher that zach is...zach's start was a fluke. you won't hear much about him anymore.

Zack has always been projected to be an outstanding pitcher. The only thing that has stood in his way is himself.

Yea, too bad he will always have himself in the way :D

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
cowboysrule48 said:
Bill Menard said:
He should have given this honor to Tim Wakefield

He already gave Wakefield a gift by putting him in the game. Wakefield probably won't get to pitch unless things get crazy like last year.

I see Aaron Hill was named the new starting 2B. I would have liked to see Zobrist get it, but I guess Hill did deserve it more.

Its a "gift" to put a guy who leads the league in wins in an All-Star game? Yet you have Ben Zobrist winning the MVP? Since your obviously a Rays fan, why was Carlos Pena picked? Because he LEADS THE LEAGUE in homeruns. So agree that his BA sucks, his K's are laughable then tell me he leads the league in homeruns so he should be there. Then argue that Wakefield shouldnt be there with 11 wins :? .

Frow

MallCopKJ said:
cowboysrule48 said:
Bill Menard said:
He should have given this honor to Tim Wakefield

He already gave Wakefield a gift by putting him in the game. Wakefield probably won't get to pitch unless things get crazy like last year.

I see Aaron Hill was named the new starting 2B. I would have liked to see Zobrist get it, but I guess Hill did deserve it more.

Its a "gift" to put a guy who leads the league in wins in an All-Sta game. Yet you have Ben Zobrist winning the MVP? since your obviously a rays fan, why was Carlos Pena picked? Because he LEADS THE LEAGUE in homeruns. So agree that his BA sucks, his K's are laughable then tell me he leads the league in homeruns so he should be there. Then argue that Wakefield shouldnt be there with 11 wins :? .

Though I'm not a big Pena guy (wait what?) I can see Pena more as a homerun is based upon his skills and ability to hit the ball. Wakefield's accomplishments are based upon the skills and ability of his front office to put together a team that outshines his short comings. (aka putting out enough runs that it's impossible for him to screw it up)

Members online

Latest posts