Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know anything about these cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
My buddy gave me a few boxes of his old cards. Mostly 88 and 89 Topps but there were some oddballs in there too. A lot of them have creases and/or dinged up corners but they are new to me. A lot of them seem to be cut outs from food products. I have lots of each but only scanned a few.

The blue cards are from 86 and the orange are from 88
scan0010-3.jpg

Backs

scan0011-5.jpg

Im aware of the Griffey. But these Drakes cards? Are these from those little cakes or something? The Gwynn i assume is from Wonder bread. But the Sandberg. Ive never seen one with a Bazooka logo on it before.

scan0012-7.jpg

Then there were a bunch of these Mets cards.

scan0013-6.jpg

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
:lol: Every time I see that Seinfeld episode I think about those cards. I used to have the Ripken as a young lad. They were actually on the box itself and you had to cut them out - I believe there were three per box if memory serves.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks everyone. And yeah ive seen the Seinfeld episode. :lol:

Xcantgobackx i was planning on giving them away to player collectors. Like i said a lot of them have minor to major creasing.

Ill try to get a full list of players by this weekend.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
The Gwynn came from Wonder Bread from the early 90's. I remember searching through loafs of bread until I found a Mattingly. No it wasn't loaf searching as you could see the player on teh packaging. I didn't feel the loafs up, or tamper with the loafs. I didn't weigh the loafs to see if they were heavier than other loafs. I just looked at the loaf wrapper and there was my guy.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
blanning71 said:
The Gwynn came from Wonder Bread from the early 90's. I remember searching through loafs of bread until I found a Mattingly. No it wasn't loaf searching as you could see the player on teh packaging. I didn't feel the loafs up, or tamper with the loafs. I didn't weigh the loafs to see if they were heavier than other loafs. I just looked at the loaf wrapper and there was my guy.

Any chance you made a bologna sandwich or three?

All kidding aside, I recall doing the same as we tried to put together a set

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
kentuckyderby said:
blanning71 said:

Any chance you made a bologna sandwich or three?

All kidding aside, I recall doing the same as we tried to put together a set
Hell I think he eat the whole loaf. ::facepalm:: :lol:

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Ken,

I'm a little late and probably of no help, but here's what I can offer.

The Drake's cards are from boxes of Drake's cakes, the Bazooka is from boxes of Bazooka Bubble Gum, the Tony Gwynn came from a loaf of Wonder Bread, and the Kahn's are Stadium Give Aways. Kahn's is (or used to be) the official hot dog of MLB, if I'm not mistaken. They would give away team sets to the first however many people were in attendance.

I don't know anything about the top Mets cards you posted. The Strawberry says Farmland Milk on the back, so like you, I would assume that these were cut from some sort of product packaging.

Members online