Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hank Aarons Rookie went for $100,000 - How about Pujols?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Skorris CCBC said:
It gets no where near $100,000, much less $1K.

Come on now, the card is only for the serious collector. You can't see a serious collector spending that kind of money on Pujols?

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
AndruwHRJones said:
Skorris CCBC said:

Come on now, the card is only for the serious collector. You can't see a serious collector spending that kind of money on Pujols?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
AndruwHRJones said:
Skorris CCBC said:

+1

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Today's modern cards in general are just different than vintage cards in what they mean to a collector.

The '54 Aaron was owned by hundreds of thousands of people at some point whereas maybe 1,000 people have ever owned a Pujols '01 BC RC. While I'm not saying the card is a bad or good investment, its just that the Pujols feels more like it was produced to be an investment rather than a collectible because of its limited print run.

I also don't think '01 BC as a **set** will ever approach the collectibility of '54 Topps, partially because of '01 BC's limited print run, and partially because there are failed prospects in '01 BC that never panned out that nobody is really interested in anymore. As we know popular sets can really drive the prices of individual cards in that set, IMO '54 Topps will always be more popular.

Its just hard to get all nostaligic and pay for a set or card you never owned or have never seen in person before even if you like the player, especially if the set was pretty much created to be an investment more than a collectible.

So even if Aaron and Pujols wound up with identical career stats, it would make sense to me that the Aaron would always be more sought after by collectors.

AndruwHRJones said:
Skorris CCBC said:

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Today's modern cards in general are just different than vintage cards in what they mean to a collector.

The '54 Aaron was owned by hundreds of thousands of people at some point whereas maybe 1,000 people have ever owned a Pujols '01 BC RC. While I'm not saying the card is a bad or good investment, its just that the Pujols feels more like it was produced to be an investment rather than a collectible because of its limited print run.

I also don't think '01 BC as a **set** will ever approach the collectibility of '54 Topps, partially because of '01 BC's limited print run, and partially because there are failed prospects in '01 BC that never panned out that nobody is really interested in anymore. As we know popular sets can really drive the prices of individual cards in that set, IMO '54 Topps will always be more popular.

Its just hard to get all nostaligic and pay for a set or card you never owned or have never seen in person before even if you like the player, especially if the set was pretty much created to be an investment more than a collectible.

So even if Aaron and Pujols wound up with identical career stats, it would make sense to me that the Aaron would always be more sought after by collectors.

AndruwHRJones said:
Skorris CCBC said:

+1 Great post!

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Hank Aaron also has exactly TWO cards made his rookie year.
Not counting any oddballs that may exist, Pujols has 206 different rookie year cards.
I will check on PSA message boards how many 1954 Hank Aarons PSA 10s exist.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
PSA 10 = 2
PSA 9 = 20 (speculation that some were cracked and resubmitted in attempt for 10)

Someone shared a scan too...
Aaron.jpg

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Austin said:
hofautos said:
Most collectors don't know the 1954 Johnston Cookies Hank Aaron rookie exists.
It's a cool card.

I was aware of it, which is why I said TWO
I actually wrote ONE, but remembered before I clicked submit, and edited to TWO. :D

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
hofautos said:
Austin said:
hofautos said:
Most collectors don't know the 1954 Johnston Cookies Hank Aaron rookie exists.
It's a cool card.
I was aware of it, which is why I said TWO
Oh, I know. I was replying with a picture of the Johnston Cookies card so other collectors who had not heard of it could see it. (it's not my card).

Members online

Latest posts