Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UPDATE 11/16/09: the Consol Energy Center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
updated with new photo

the Penguins held a ceremony today as the final beam was placed on top of their new arena The Consol Energy Center. the players, construction workers, Mellon Arena staff and Mario Lemiuex all signed the beam before it was raised into placed.

here are some pics...

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

and here are some final drawings of the CEC if you haven't seen them already...

arena1.jpg
newaerial.jpg
Arena_1_big.jpg

consol3_330.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Re: final beam placed on the Consol Energy Center

very cool that everyone involved signed that beam. I said before, but ill say it again, you guys in Pittsburgh are soooooo lucky. A young superstar team, with so many 1st and 2nd overall draft picks, the hottest/most valued players in the Hobby (other than Ovy of course), defending champs, brink of a dynasty, new arena.... what more can u ask for? :lol:

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

G $MONEY$ said:
what more can u ask for? :lol:

a better baseball team would be nice but I guess we can't ask for too much.

C.L.258

Dec 11, 2008
Calgary, AB, Canada, eh?

pghbuccos said:
G $MONEY$ said:
what more can u ask for? :lol:

hahaha at least u have one. me and g $money$ here in calgary we have to settle with the vipers, whoe arent even affiliated with an mlb team, :(

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary

C.L.258 said:
pghbuccos said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":pstpdbsh]what more can u ask for? :lol:

hahaha at least u have one. me and g $money$ here in calgary we have to settle with the vipers, whoe arent even affiliated with an mlb team, :([/quote:pstpdbsh]

You might be a little younger to remember, but we used to have the Calgary Cannons here. They where a AAA team that was affiliated with Seattle for many years, than Pittsburgh and Florida back in the late 90s and early 2000s. We had some awesome players here in Calgary years ago like Alex Rodriguez (Yes Arod played 1 year in Calgary), Edgar and Tino Martinez, Mike Lowell, just to name a few. I miss the Pacific Coast League.

Heres ARod playing in Calgary (Sorry to get the thread OT pghbuccos)

345hb1x.jpg

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke

nice new stadium. i hope it will bring better luck for the caps when we play there. pittsburgh is so lucky. if it werent for the caps dc might have the worst sorts teams ever. the nationals=last place the redskins cant be good until they get rid of there owner. the wizards sucked. cant remember the last time a team in dc won a campinonship.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke

G $MONEY$ said:
jeff550 said:
cant remember the last time a team in dc won a campinonship.

91 Redskins i think?
you are right. i have a feeling that the caps will be the next team to bring a campionship to dc because all of our other teams are terrible.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Seeing the construction on a daily basis, it amazed me how fast the building went up. I will miss unique design of the Igloo, but I think the new arena will be a far superior venue for events.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

it certainly will be a much better venue Mark and will attract many more concerts and other events to the city in turn making more money for the Penguins and the city of Pittsburgh.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Penguins posted a new photo of the completed concrete work in the bowl area of the Consol Energy Center today. the construction is going smoothly and all the exterior glass should be in place soon and the building will be sealed in time for the upcoming winter weather.

insidecec.jpg

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
pghbuccos said:
the Penguins posted a new photo of the completed concrete work in the bowl area of the Consol Energy Center today. the construction is going smoothly and all the exterior glass should be in place soon and the building will be sealed in time for the upcoming winter weather.

insidecec.jpg

I'm in no hurry for it to get here. I'm quite happy with the weather we've been having.

I've been very impressed with how fast the arena has gone up. It's looked great from the start...now if only they would start channeling some money into the surrounding neighborhoods...

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Mark they really do need to improve the neighborhoods around the arena. hopefully there will be some new restaurants and bars built in the area.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
pghbuccos said:
Mark they really do need to improve the neighborhoods around the arena. hopefully there will be some new restaurants and bars built in the area.

There is a bar that opened fairly recently a few blocks down on Forbes. Looks like a nice little place, though the name escapes me at the moment. However, I doubt it'll last very long, simply because of area nearby.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen Pens fans paying $10 or more to part in the various lots in uptown, when there is tons of free street parking nearby. Uptown isn't a horrible area, and a most of the residents are either Mercy employees, college students, or the elderly. Still, perception supersedes reality.

UPMC has been buying up much of the land between between Blvd of the Allies and Forbes in that area, so unfortunately I think we'll be seeing more large, obnoxious UPMC/Mercy signs popping up in the area before we see any kind of cultural development. But that's an entirely different rant...

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
all very good points Mark. I think the fact that the arena is going to have a few restaurants is also going to hurt the development in the area.

as for UPMC they are buying up buildings and land everywhere and own a 3 block area near my apartment in Shadyside.

Members online