Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whatever happened to that guy with the 2006 Topps Blue set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Back on the Beckett boards, I think shortly before it all went to hell, a guy posted on there that he had received a complete 2006 Topps blue-bordered parallel set from their HR Derby redemption program. Or maybe it was 2007. Anyway, there were just 10 sets available, and his was #7/10. To my knowledge, no other sets have surfaced. I don't look for this sort of thing often, but I figure if any were broken up I'd've seen the Thomas and/or Sizemore. He had started listing singles, and soliciting offers, but then IIRC the auctions were cancelled and he disappeared off the board.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I know Lance has one because he posted it in the Frank Thomas thread.
I will try and retrieve it. I believe there was some banter about the guy you are talking about?

A_Pharis

I thought the guy from BMB planned on breaking it up.

In other news, I actually pulled one of those contest cards that year, mine was Hank Blalock (#'d 2/10). Got it out of a blaster with like 1:150,000 odds (it was huge odds).

Yeah, Blalock dropped out of the derby wayyy before AS Week.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
Here is Lance's #7/10
06toppsredemption1.jpg

06toppsredemption2.jpg

The HR derby contest cards where #' to 999.
Not sure what Blaylock card you got but do you remember what it looks like?
2007ToppsHRDerby.jpg

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
Here are my two copies. I would be very interested in seeing the Blalock, Chavez has a redemption card as well that I have never seen.

2006Top4.jpg

2006Top8.jpg

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
The guy did in fact break up the set and I just contacted him back in July and he said that all the cards have been sold and he no longer owns any. I asked him who he sold them to and he said he sold them all to various collectors.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That was the guy. I inquired through PM about the Sizemore and Thomas, and I think either he never responded or he said on the boards he was going to auction them because he didn't know what to price them at. OK, at least now I know that getting them from him is no longer an option.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
smapdi said:
That was the guy. I inquired through PM about the Sizemore and Thomas, and I think either he never responded or he said on the boards he was going to auction them because he didn't know what to price them at. OK, at least now I know that getting them from him is no longer an option.

I am pretty sure he isn't a member here, I contacted him through e-mail.

A_Pharis

Jack Straw:

The 2006 HR Derby Contest Cards were all #'d to 10 (10 for each player originally listed as available for the Derby). Each person with the winning card got 1 of 10 sets.

In 2007, they did a drawing from all 999 of the winning card owners.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
Add another Griffey card to my I will never own or see for sale in my lifetime list :cry:
Looks like if you didn't have the Ryan Howard card in hand by the time the promotion
ended the set wasn't redeemed. Looks like from what I am reading here that only one set was redeemed and it
was #7?

A_Pharis

Jack Straw said:
Add another Griffey card to my I will never own or see for sale in my lifetime list :cry:
Looks like if you didn't have the Ryan Howard card in hand by the time the promotion
ended the set wasn't redeemed. Looks like from what I am reading here that only one set was redeemed and it
was #7?

To my knowledge, the only one to ever surface was the #7.

I got my Blalock out of a blaster in a WalMart in Houston. Imagine how many blasters of base 2006 topps went unopened. Imagine how many Howards sat collecting dust on WalMart shelves.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Unfortunately I was never able to get the Cantu :(
Also Cantu has one of those HR Derby redemptions and I've never seen it

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
A_Pharis said:
To my knowledge, the only one to ever surface was the #7.

This is true. I've got a copy of the letter Topps sent the collector telling him his was the only set redeemed.
I suppose the other sets could have been backdoored, but I've never seen any others besides the #7/10.

I've got the Fielder:

Fielder06Toppsof7.jpg

Members online

Latest posts