Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1992 Mootown Snackers Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
38.jpg

I've had this card for a while, and I didn't recognize it as being difficult when I picked it up. Mine does have the tab, and I'll probably rescan the card to display the tab.

My question is - what's the story behind these cards? Why are they so tough? Any recent sales?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
ajw said:
38.jpg

I've had this card for a while, and I didn't recognize it as being difficult when I picked it up. Mine does have the tab, and I'll probably rescan the card to display the tab.

My question is - what's the story behind these cards? Why are they so tough? Any recent sales?

Their tough??? Really?? I have a crap load of them around somewhere. My kids loved the cheese back then and the cards were just a by-product of the cheese at the time. I had no idea they were tough!!

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Not sure Drew, the Clark hasn't seemed tough to me, I have a couple of the cards without the tab and one with the tab, but not scanned.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
They were inserted in packs of cheese. They did it for at least two years. I have about twenty of them myself. Various players.

Tom

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Looks like you guys have the same view I do of this issue. Still, I see others talking about how tough these are. I think some of the Frank Thomas guys on the board have discussed them in the past. Maybe there's another year that's tough?

Anyone?

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
ajw said:
Looks like you guys have the same view I do of this issue. Still, I see others talking about how tough these are. I think some of the Frank Thomas guys on the board have discussed them in the past. Maybe there's another year that's tough?

Anyone?

It was only tough for collectors who weren't in the regions this product was sold. ;)

The 'mail-in tab' version was, for certain collectors who didn't live in the midwest, a regionally tough issue to obtain.

Most of the ones you see are the finished/cut versions that were obtained by mailing in the ones that were found in the cheese packages. The 'mail-in tab' are generally speaking more difficult to locate since collectors often just purchased one single package and sent it in for the complete set; the versions you most often find.

It's regionally-tough the same way some stadium giveaways (SGAs) are tough for any collector outside of the specific team/city.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
HawaiianLance said:
ajw said:

Anyone?

It was only tough for collectors who weren't in the regions this product was sold. ;)

The 'mail-in tab' version was, for certain collectors who didn't live in the midwest, a regionally tough issue to obtain.

Most of the ones you see are the finished/cut versions that were obtained by mailing in the ones that were found in the cheese packages. The 'mail-in tab' are generally speaking more difficult to locate since collectors often just purchased one single package and sent it in for the complete set; the versions you most often find.

It's regionally-tough the same way some stadium giveaways (SGAs) are tough for any collector outside of the specific team/city.

Are there two versions of the tabs, one that you mailed in and one that they returned to you (sort of like the 1993 Black Gold Winners)? I have a 92 Mootown with a tab, but now I'm not sure if I should be looking for a second Mootown with a different tab.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
ajw said:
Are there two versions of the tabs, one that you mailed in and one that they returned to you (sort of like the 1993 Black Gold Winners)? I have a 92 Mootown with a tab, but now I'm not sure if I should be looking for a second Mootown with a different tab.

Nope, you're set. There were only two versions. ;-)

To the best of my knowledge - the mail-in wasn't returned with the set. I say that because you never see a "filled in" version.

Although, I suppose someone with devious intent could fill one in today. But then... I can't see the point since he would essentially be destroying the value. <g>

You wanna know what I find interesting? Did you know PSA will slab the 'With Tab'? Seriously - opened up and everything. Heh. ;)

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
First things first. There is a 91 and a 92 MooTown set. Second you didn't mail the whole card in you just seperated
the card at the perforation and mailed that card in to redeem your set. So essentially there is 3 different cards.
With tab,perforated and factory. If you have alot of these with tabs still attached there are on alot of player collectors
want lists. I personally would be interested in any 91's you have with the tab attached and 92 Puckett,Ripken,Thomas,Ryan,Brett
and Griffey.
91MooTownWithTabGriffey.jpg
92MooTownWithTabGriffey.jpg

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Jack Straw said:
First things first. There is a 91 and a 92 MooTown set. Second you didn't mail the whole card in you just seperated
the card at the perforation and mailed that card in to redeem your set. So essentially there is 3 different cards.
With tab,perforated and factory.

:lol:

It never occurred to me to actually 'separate' the two halves!

Seriously, I had to re-read your post to make sure you hadn't taken leave of your senses.

Why? Because it would be like asking me to cut off a finger... collecting-wise. It took me so long to find the 'With Tab' version, that even opening it for scanning is a stressful experience.

It was only after you pointed it out that I realized that - that's exactly how one would redeem the set - in 1992.

D'oh!

:lol:

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Jack Straw said:
With tab,perforated and factory. If you have alot of these with tabs still attached there are on alot of player collectors
want lists. I personally would be interested in any 91's you have with the tab attached and 92 Puckett,Ripken,Thomas,Ryan,Brett
and Griffey.
91MooTownWithTabGriffey.jpg
92MooTownWithTabGriffey.jpg

I'll have to scan them, but I know I've got 2 92 Pucketts. I wasn't aware that there was a 91. I guess I've got to go back to the drawing board so to speak. I'll have to locate them and shoot you a pm if I can spare one.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
HawaiianLance said:

Thanks for all the info, guys. This thread is really helpful, and it's stuff like this that makes the message board a real treat. I guess I need to start looking for the set version of the card. I assume there's a version out there with four clean edges and no tab, right? That's what you'd get if you redeemed the tab for the full set? If anyone's got an extra Will Clark "set" version (or whatever term the hobby uses), please let me know!

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
ajw said:
HawaiianLance said:

Thanks for all the info, guys. This thread is really helpful, and it's stuff like this that makes the message board a real treat. I guess I need to start looking for the set version of the card. I assume there's a version out there with four clean edges and no tab, right? That's what you'd get if you redeemed the tab for the full set? If anyone's got an extra Will Clark "set" version (or whatever term the hobby uses), please let me know!

I have one if you want it.. pm address.. and I will go find it..

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
After realizing there were two versions to this card, I picked up the clean version from an Ebay store. Below are examples of the tab version and the clean version, or whatever we decide to call the non tab version.

MootownSnackers.jpg

Members online