Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EbAyAdDiCt

Aug 7, 2008
Re: OFFICIAL- Vintage Pickup Thread.

Chris D. said:
Big Train

johnson.jpg

I heard this guy was named after some kind of award.

young.jpg

:eek: WOW! Chris awesome..............i have been looking at those same cards in that grade for a while, just have not pulled the trigger. I likey.................... :mrgreen:

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

Here are two more for the pile. I am finally in single digits. Only 8 left to go with these two recent additions. :shock: I can't believe my project is almost complete. 198 of 206! The last 8 are all High Numbers.

207_consolo.jpg

another Red Sox!

179_bolger.jpg

and one for the Cub fans!

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

jay1065 said:
Excellent pickup, Graymouse!

First pickup for a new (small) collection of Pre-1920 New England Baseball items:

That is a beautiful piece there! Nice pick up!

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

Graymouse said:
jay1065 said:

First pickup for a new (small) collection of Pre-1920 New England Baseball items:

Thanks!

Not to rush you through the final 8, but do you plan on going after another set when you finish the '55?

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

That bright red background really makes the Williams card look super. Looks like you're doing great on your collection!

Another 51 Yankee for me today.
DANNY
51BowmanFerrick.jpg

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota

dano7 said:
That bright red background really makes the Williams card look super. Looks like you're doing great on your collection!

DANNY
51BowmanFerrick.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, are trying to get your 51 yankees in a certain grade? I have a raw 51 Mantle that I bought from a buddy's dad a few years back for 1100 I think. But it's probably VG-EX at very best. I can let you know in the future if I decide to move it.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

wolfmanalfredo said:
dano7 said:

DANNY
51BowmanFerrick.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, are trying to get your 51 yankees in a certain grade? I have a raw 51 Mantle that I bought from a buddy's dad a few years back for 1100 I think. But it's probably VG-EX at very best. I can let you know in the future if I decide to move it.
Keep me in mind if you decide to move the Mantle. I'm thinking about a grade 5 or so. Depends on the deal I can get. I'm going to save up for one this summer with my umpiring money.
DANNY

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota

dano7 said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
dano7 said:

DANNY
51BowmanFerrick.jpg

Keep me in mind if you decide to move the Mantle. I'm thinking about a grade 5 or so. Depends on the deal I can get. I'm going to save up for one this summer with my umpiring money.
DANNY

Will do, I'd think this would grade a 4 or 5. I probably get it in to PSA, but it won't be for atleast a year. I've got the 57 topps set I need to grade as I/ put it together.

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

jay1065 said:
Graymouse said:
jay1065 said:

Thanks!

Not to rush you through the final 8, but do you plan on going after another set when you finish the '55?

I not sure what my next project is going to be. I have been thinking about starting a 1956 topps set in psa 7 or better. I also have been thinking about the 1954 set. I really like the design and not to forget about the cards of the true home run king Hank Aaron and Mr. Cub Ernie Banks RC cards. I think the hardest ones to get will be the Ted Williams being that they are at the worst spots in a set for a condition set collector. First card and last card. What possesed the kids of the 50's to rap rubber bands around their cards. Didn't they know that they would worth some money 50 years into the future! :lol:

I am really looking forward to finishing my current project. Its been a long and hard ride. The only star cards that I am missing is Duke Snider, and Gil Hodges. The others are the so called "commons" but might as well be star cards because you have to pay well over BV to get them in the PSA 7 condition.....and being the dreaded Hi numbers don't help either.

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

wolfmanalfredo said:
This just came in today. Now I'm just 5 cards away from completing my 39-58 Williams set

Absolutely stunning Williams. I agree that the red background brings it out even more. Almost like the classic Cracker Jack set. Great pick up man! Are you going to get it graded? at least do it to preserve it. What do you think of the new "classic" 1930's logo the "hanging sox" for Boston Redsox. I like it because it gives the uniform a classic look.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota

Graymouse said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
This just came in today. Now I'm just 5 cards away from completing my 39-58 Williams set

Absolutely stunning Williams. I agree that the red background brings it out even more. Almost like the classic Cracker Jack set. Great pick up man! Are you going to get it graded? at least do it to preserve it. What do you think of the new "classic" 1930's logo the "hanging sox" for Boston Redsox. I like it because it gives the uniform a classic look.

I plan on sending this Williams in with my next submission. As for the hanging sox look, I like it. Simplify it the glory days of baseball. Anything to give a vintage go back to basics look is fine by me.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

51 Bowman Bill Dickey #290 arrived today for my Yankee collection.
DANNY
51Dickey290001.jpg

Got these today at a show.
I was told this first one was a buy back from UD, paid $12.50.
brickell.jpg

1970 Milton Bradley (paid $0.50)
brock-mb.jpg

1955 Bowman, purchased from a 6/$5 box.
55bowman-12-12.jpg
I also purchased these hoping at least one of them was still living and a good signer through the mail. Sadly, all three have passed away.

Lastly, this was in the 6/$5 box and figured it was from the 30's, looked on Ebay and it is from the 1910 T220 Mecca series
welsh.jpg
Missing part of the back, guess it was glued in an album at some point.

Also picked up a few vintage football, check the vintage football thread for those.

bikerider60

Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, NJ

Nice pickup all....it's been a while for me since I started my Koi Pond redo, could have picked up a few 19th century HOFers . The Pond Hobby is expensive, mostly a rebuild.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY

Graymouse said:
Just browsed through your collection for the first time.. Absolutely stunning. I wish I could just afford one of those cards. Best of luck with the remaining 7!

zan

Members online