Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Re: OFFICIAL- Vintage Pickup Thread.

17ROCKIES12 said:
Don't know much about the set, but got it for .99
37ed_1.jpg

Nice pickup! Great photography.

This one arrived today, looks better in person than the small scan the auction listing had:

SGC A:
13.jpg

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

jay1065 said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
Don't know much about the set, but got it for .99
37ed_1.jpg

Nice pickup! Great photography.
Thanks! I just now realized that I have a signed 8x10 with that exact same picture.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

jay1065 said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
Thanks! I just now realized that I have a signed 8x10 with that exact same picture.

Do you collect Freese?

Yeah I've got 9/10 of his Topps cards signed, 5 8x10s, a ton of signed ICs, and now I'm going to pick up some oddball items and hopefully get a 55 Topps signed.

rc4157

Aug 10, 2008

Nice pick-ups guys on the Freese and the Bender.

The Kahns sets were regional to the best of my knowledge, I know the Reds, Pirates and Braves were included. I used to have a number of Reds cards but somehow my brother ended up with them. There are some in my photobucket though if you are interested in looking.

RC

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

rc4157 said:
Nice pick-ups guys on the Freese and the Bender.

The Kahns sets were regional to the best of my knowledge, I know the Reds, Pirates and Braves were included. I used to have a number of Reds cards but somehow my brother ended up with them. There are some in my photobucket though if you are interested in looking.

RC
Nice cards. Do you have any idea how they were packaged? I can imagine most were trashed and that a lot are in really bad shape.

rc4157

Aug 10, 2008

The color cards that I have actually came as part of the wrapper around the hotdogs! I can remember as a kid looking for particular players before I'd let mom buy a pack. So you can imagine the packages had been refrigerated along with the condensation, etc... that goes along with selling hotdogs. Also, stupid kids, i.e. yours truly would put them on a board and put pin holes in them. I know I had Rose, Perez, May, Edwards, Maloney etc. of the Reds from around '66 - '68 but my brother won't give them up!!!

These had to be cut off the rest of the wrapper. I don't believe the older cards had to be cut.

Just checked my almanac, Kahn's started in '55 with a 6 player Reds set and continued producing cards through '69. In '66 they became part of the ad (tab) and of course they are worth more if they haven't been cut. Of course, I cut them off. Oh well, I didn't want that hotdog ad on my cards at the time.

RC

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

rc4157 said:
The color cards that I have actually came as part of the wrapper around the hotdogs! I can remember as a kid looking for particular players before I'd let mom buy a pack. So you can imagine the packages had been refrigerated along with the condensation, etc... that goes along with selling hotdogs. Also, stupid kids, i.e. yours truly would put them on a board and put pin holes in them. I know I had Rose, Perez, May, Edwards, Maloney etc. of the Reds from around '66 - '68 but my brother won't give them up!!!

These had to be cut off the rest of the wrapper. I don't believe the older cards had to be cut.

Just checked my almanac, Kahn's started in '55 with a 6 player Reds set and continued producing cards through '69. In '66 they became part of the ad (tab) and of course they are worth more if they haven't been cut. Of course, I cut them off. Oh well, I didn't want that hotdog ad on my cards at the time.

RC
Thats cool that you remember that. I guess a PSA 4 probably isn't as bad as I thought. Thanks for the info.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

Great pickup, Scott!

Nice Chase and Myers, as well, rc4157. I'm a big fan on T206 cards with stamps on the reverse.

This arrived in the mail today (SGC 10):

163.jpg
163_back.jpg

martincp

Aug 10, 2008

Some great cards displayed here and can finally make my first serious contribution to the site.

Tolstoi back
DocCrandall.jpg

GeorgePerring.jpg

Sovereign 150 back
JohnnyBates.jpg

LouRitter.jpg

Members online