Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
No great new stuff to post. Have to cut back ALOT w/ the economy the way it is. :(
Some is better than none I guess. :D

Thanks to magic & Lance for the sample. :D

Gold Z-Team is not new.

Is it me or does it look like his pants are ripped on the Z-Teams?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
While I see a lot of the stuff you purchase on eBay, it's nice to see the items from other sources and good scans.

Is this a thread for all Frank Thomas collectors to report in?

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
BunchOBull said:
While I see a lot of the stuff you purchase on eBay, it's nice to see the items from other sources and good scans.

Is this a thread for all Frank Thomas collectors to report in?

Absolutley! Please share some scans.

Welcome to the boards (if u didn't se emy post in the 90's thread). What is your eBay id?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Thank you for the welcome. My main eBay purchasing ID is BunchOBull. I focus on pre-1991 cards and memorabilia mostly. Secondly, inserts from 1998 and earlier. As for anything later, I buy some here and there, but I'm not a big GU patch collector...I like having the whole thing, not a piece of it I guess. I'll grab one from time to time though. The only printing plates I collect are Allen & Ginter plates, because I love that set and it's the only new release I keep up with really. Though, there are some more recent cards I'd like to find...the 2001 R&S Slideshow for one...and the Viewmaster.

Actually, you outbid me on the 490th HR bat I think. I've been on the look out for a certified HR bat since Lance got his...if you ever see another one, please let me know. You got it for a great price, but it was just a we bit out of my price range at the time. Awesome bat though. My goal is to have a game used version of every bat Big Frank has used. That, and to own a pinball machine lol.

Other than that I collect vintage wax packs (OPC baseball mostly), Roberto Clemente, and various pre-war projects. Just started a '56 Topps set too.

You have an absolutely gorgeous collection, one that I have followed for several years. Doesn't your wife purchase too? I think I read that on your site one time.

Speaking of sites, you asked when mine will be up and running. I thought it would be up 2 months ago, but it has proven difficult to get everything compiled. I'm working with the U. of Auburn to get some images and video footage, as well as Orleans to get some information. I've collected locally released papers and handscored information, so that helps, but there are a lot of questions I have to answer before I can go live. I want to use the site to showcase some of my collection, but I want my cards and memorabilia to be supplimental to statistical information and period facts. I don't have to reinvent the wheel and make a site that does what sites like your's and Lance's do...so I'm going in just a little bit of a different direction. So some of the site will be flash heavy in order to showcase some vids and such. I'm teaching myself Photoshop as I go too...I have a tech guy (college fraternity brother) for the hard stuff.

So, to sum that up...I'm not sure when it will be live. Soon I hope...even if it's in very limited form.

Thank you again for the welcome, I look forward to seeing more of your recent pickups.

Ross

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
My focus always seems to change. I hope my current path is one I don't venture away from quickly. I understand what you mean about rather having the whole jersey rather than just a piece. I'd love to have the whole thing too. I'm just more into cards so that is my main focus. I don't really mess w/ the plates anymore either. I only have 5 or 6 remaining. I sold the rest of them. I'm sure you've already seen it, but Burbank had the Slideshow & Viewmaster on eBay. Pricey though.

Re: HR BAT Thanks. It was out of my price range too. I just couldn't let it pass. Not exactly something you can find all of the time. If I do happen to come across another I will let ya know.

"You have an absolutely gorgeous collection, one that I have followed for several years. Doesn't your wife purchase too? I think I read that on your site one time."

Thanks you very much. Nope, my wife doesn't collect, buy, or even talk about cards (other than to tell me I spend too much). I think you may be thinking of bustin knuckles g/f or wife.

RE YOUR SITE: Sounds like it will be insane!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I didn't know that Burbank had one up...they've been so overpriced that I've bought very little from them because I know I'll get it cheaper later. Thank you for the heads up.

If you have any '08 Allen and Ginter plates that you're looking to move, I'd like to attempt a complete run.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
For those of you still wondering about the seemingly cheap card stock used for the 1987-88 Frank Thomas Auburn Tigers card.....my submissions to BGS are currently in the mail back to me, but thanks to their online status check, they came back to be authentic! I was mildly concerned they were fake, as I think a decent photo printer could print a higher quality card than that card. I was hoping for a 9 on one, but came back as a 8.5. The other one was a little rough, but came back higher than I expected at 7.5. Once they come in the mail I will post the scans.

Sent a few others that are still not on the population report......I sent in the 5 card set of 1998 Select Five Star, which all have the same serial # out of 50. All but one came back as a 9.5. Thinking about listing the set on e-bay, but concerned that the 2 people who seemingly bought up all 50 from someone who stole them from Pinnacle in the bankruptcy have made them seem easy to acquire, as I think about half of the total population has been resold in the last 3-4 months.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have an '87 Auburn issue that is grade worthy I think. It will go to my next submission to PSA. Hoping for a 9, expecting an 8.

1987AuburnUniversityNNO.jpg

bodisurfa

Aug 7, 2008
BunchObull:
I noticed in your "sig" regarding your search for a high grade '87 Pan Am Blue, there's one up on the eBay slabbed a BGS 9.5 :eek: Same seller also has a couple of BGS 9's. Just some 411...............

Cobra:
Since I haven't posted for awhile on your thread here's a scan for your thread.....bottom piece is part of the 2003 All-Star Patch ;) I thought it'd be appropriate for the season since it looks like a Peppermint candy :lol:

Happy Holidays everyone!

PremAll-Star56of90.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
bodisurfa said:
BunchObull:
I noticed in your "sig" regarding your search for a high grade '87 Pan Am Blue, there's one up on the eBay slabbed a BGS 9.5 :eek: Same seller also has a couple of BGS 9's. Just some 411...............

Thanks for the heads up, I've been emailing the seller back and forth. If it were the holiday season, I'd have probably pulled the trigger on the 9.5 he just sold for $300. I think the current one is at $400. If I can find high grade raw I'd be happier, because I'm just going to crack it out to send to PSA in the end.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
BunchOBull said:
I have an '87 Auburn issue that is grade worthy I think. It will go to my next submission to PSA. Hoping for a 9, expecting an 8.

That '87 Auburn scan looks very colorful, and the edges look sharp. Wouldn't be surprised if it came back as a 9. Nice card!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Thanks, that scan is actually through a penny sleeve, toploader, and team bag, so the color is a little more crisp than what it seems. The only negative is that it has a light ink mark on the back like is typical with this issue. In my experience, it's overlooked if it doesn't detract from the card's eye appeal...but we'll have to see.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Nice player collector thread,,,,love the infoI see a sthe Big Hurts always been a favorite,,,,

Since that other sites been trashed-- I'll post it again here,,,,,

1999 Topps Stars 4 Star Foil # 45/49

Thomas-4-star-foil.jpg

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
My first ever submissions to BGS just came back and was pleased with most. Apologies for the small pictures...not exactly sure how to make them bigger on here. If you click on the pictures it will take you to the bigger version at image shack.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
I was kinda pissed because I forgot to set my snipe for this before I left to go to an x-mas party today. I just checked the completed auction and it looks like I wouldn't have been anywhere close to winning it anyways. Anyone else a little shocked at what it went for? I was thinking about $250, but I don't really keep up with the graded cards.

:shock: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=009

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Considering the first BGS 10 Score and Fleer Update rookies to show up were in the $300 range, $500 for a Leaf rookie is on par I guess. Out of my league though.

bodisurfa

Aug 7, 2008
Well fellow Thomas collectors, there are only 3 of Thomas' 5 RC's that made it to a Pristine 10 (Topps Tiffany(4), Fleer(15), and Leaf(5). The leaf is his most scarce with only 1% of submitted cards (4,324) coming back a Pristine 10. His Topps Tiffany is 2.4% but, only 165 cards were submitted and his Fleer is 3% (502 submissions). Of course this submitted count may be inflated with "re-submissions".

This same exact card sold for $515 in 2006 and with it ending at $510, shows that the card value has'nt increased OR decreased for a couple of years.

bodisurfa

Aug 7, 2008
randyherth said:
Wow! $500 is a bit nutty! Jeez, I should re-evaluate my PSA 10's and see if one has a shot at a BGS pristine!

Hey Randy,
If you got a solid Bowman/Tiffany or Score/Traded, you might wanna try submitting them in for a chance at 10. Could bring you some serious $$$ since none has ever made the grade ;)

Members online

Latest posts