Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rikakris

Sep 5, 2009
AUTaxMan said:
Signature also looks fake to me.

Yes it does. When you zoom in on the image you can see how choppy the signature is. And the "3" in "35" is not good. In my opinion, definitely a fake signature.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
rikakris said:
AUTaxMan said:
Signature also looks fake to me.

Yes it does. When you zoom in on the image you can see how choppy the signature is. And the "3" in "35" is not good. In my opinion, definitely a fake signature.

I agree the signature looks pretty bad, but I do believe it to be authentic. All of the 2008 Masterpieces jersey and patch non-autos have the players name and team centered between the fabric and the bottom of the card. Here's and example of the regular, non-auto Frank patch I just bought:

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Ba ... as/4257550

But all jersey and patch autos have the player name and team offset toward the bottom edge of the card, so that the player has wider space to sign in. (See links that jamesodo provided above.)

The only discrepancy I've noticed so far is that all patches, signed or unsigned, say PATCH on the front, and all jersey cards, signed or unsigned, do not. So I think the signature is authentic (perhaps Frank's hand cramped up on that one!), but I think that sweet patch was inserted in place of a jersey, at which point the border would have had to have been altered from green to brown, and a serial number added (since only the patch autos were serial #'d).

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
petMonster said:
The only discrepancy I've noticed so far is that all patches, signed or unsigned, say PATCH on the front, and all jersey cards, signed or unsigned, do not. So I think the signature is authentic (perhaps Frank's hand cramped up on that one!), but I think that sweet patch was inserted in place of a jersey, at which point the border would have had to have been altered from green to brown, and a serial number added (since only the patch autos were serial #'d).

I have a hard time believing that UD would have gone to that effort for QC purposes.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
AUTaxMan said:
petMonster said:

I have a hard time believing that UD would have gone to that effort for QC purposes.

Not UD...the guy who sold that "patch" auto on eBay for like $180...the one that doesn't say PATCH on it. See link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320830960071?ss ... 1438.l2649

And I'm not saying he altered it for sure...it could just be an "error" or anomaly in the set. But like I said above, I contacted him to ask him about it and he never replied.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
petMonster said:
AUTaxMan said:
petMonster said:

Not UD...the guy who sold that "patch" auto on eBay for like $180...the one that doesn't say PATCH on it. See link below.

And I'm not saying he altered it for sure...it could just be an "error" or anomaly in the set. But like I said above, I contacted him to ask him about it and he never replied.

Very strange that UD would have two black bordered patch cards #'d to 25, but one with a signature on the bottom...... The signature looks 100% legit to me. Maybe he got it signed at a big hurt beer signing!! haha

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
petMonster said:
AUTaxMan said:
petMonster said:

Wouldn't that mean that in addition to the patch insertion and the border change, he would have to have had it signed in person? I'm going with Occam's Razor on this one-- fake auto.

jamesodo

Oct 31, 2010
I won the auction with the Masterpieces patch auto. I contacted the seller and sent him the two links to the ones on worthpoint.com
He cancelled the auction and refunded my money and claimed to not know it was a fake.

I've been buying these cards for 3 years now and never noticed the word "Patch" behind the auto. I knew the football ones had the word patch to the right of the actual patch.

Thanks for all the opinions.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
jamesodo said:
I won the auction with the Masterpieces patch auto. I contacted the seller and sent him the two links to the ones on worthpoint.com
He cancelled the auction and refunded my money and claimed to not know it was a fake.

I've been buying these cards for 3 years now and never noticed the word "Patch" behind the auto. I knew the football ones had the word patch to the right of the actual patch.

Maybe Korea/China is moving away from copies of watches and software to baseball cards! I see that the seller is shipping from that part of the world. Very unusual......

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
jamesodo said:

Wow...it's kinda cool that you were following this thread. I wish there was a way to warn bidders on eBay about that kind of stuff, but the bidder IDs are concealed. I'm glad you called him out on it, and I'm glad to hear he refunded your money no problem.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
AUTaxMan said:
petMonster said:
AUTaxMan said:
petMonster said:

Wouldn't that mean that in addition to the patch insertion and the border change, he would have to have had it signed in person? I'm going with Occam's Razor on this one-- fake auto.

I'm telling you guys...the auto is real. UD printed the auto jersey/patch cards with a small space above the players name/team name so the player had an open space to sign. However, they printed the non-auto jersey/patch cards with the players name/team name dead center. If this was a non-auto jersey or patch card, and this guy forged the auto or got it signed in person by the real Frank Thomas, then the auto would "overlap" with the printed name/team name. Just look at the spacing in these:

A legit, non-auto jersey:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Masterpiec ... 27b18bffbf

A legit, auto jersey:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Josh-Willingham ... 3f12d14d98

Notice the placement of the player's name/team name below the jersey in each example.

The fact that the Thomas auto "patch" we are discussing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/320830960071?ss ... 1438.l2649) has that extra spacing above Frank's name tells me that it was a legit auto, but the fact that it does not say "PATCH" tells me that the actual piece of material should be a plain white jersey and not a 4 color patch.

rikakris

Sep 5, 2009
petMonster said:
The fact that the Thomas auto "patch" we are discussing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/320830960071?ss ... 1438.l2649) has that extra spacing above Frank's name tells me that it was a legit auto, but the fact that it does not say "PATCH" tells me that the actual piece of material should be a plain white jersey and not a 4 color patch.

I still am not convinced the entire card is legit. According to UD, the only Thomas card that was numbered to 25 was the auto patch. The plain white jersey auto card was not serial numbered. So unless Justin is correct and UD messed up, I don't see how the card could be legit.

dbroockerd

Nov 15, 2010
Missouri
rikakris said:
petMonster said:

I still am not convinced the entire card is legit. According to UD, the only Thomas card that was numbered to 25 was the auto patch. The plain white jersey auto card was not serial numbered. So unless Justin is correct and UD messed up, I don't see how the card could be legit.

That serial number is just such an exact match to the real thing it makes me believe it could be real.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
They could have bought the auto jersey, swap out the right color border, swap jersey for patch and fake numbering.

Or UD screwed up.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
dbroockerd said:
rikakris said:
petMonster said:

That serial number is just such an exact match to the real thing it makes me believe it could be real.

I've seen warnings on auction sites before saying to beware of serial numbered cards because serial numbers can be added by forgers. I don't know how easily something like that can be done, especially matching gold foil and the exact font and placement of the numbers and everything, but ever since I read that I am weary of serial numbers being my sole proof of a card being legit.

Of course, if cobra is right and this was a screw up on UD's part, then perhaps we all talked jamesodo out of a rare Thomas patch error card. Sorry james!

Members online

Latest posts